Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 09:42 PM

2,048 posts, read 3,810,802 times

Advertisements

ya.....by clear-cutting everything in sight off lands they were given and then moving to Arizona
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 09:44 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
Hey....the ones on POW at Hydaberg are totally worthless

The Troopers are down there all the friggen time...mostly looking for the local native sex offenders and drunks

Food Stamps & Welfare is the norm down there..
Oh bs. The troopers hide in the coffee shop while they aren't out violating their authority by looking for federal halibut infractions.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:55 PM

471 posts, read 1,062,712 times
Corruption Rewarded in Government | Cato @ Liberty

Old 01-15-2010, 09:56 PM

Another google expert on Alaska. I'm so impressed.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:58 PM

Oh look at this...I can find Google on my computer too...

Cato Institute | Right Wing Watch

Old 01-15-2010, 10:06 PM

Do you use Yahoo to "find" google, or do you just point your browser to Google then use that to find stuff?

because if you were to "find google" the link would be Google

However I can use google to find The Washington Monthly as well... I am sure I could keep finding more and more links about the unfair advantages of Native Corps and also links about their failures.

A child born with a silver spoon in mouth, will always be a spoiled brat who doesn't know how to take care of themselves.

Last edited by teamcoltra; 01-15-2010 at 10:15 PM..

Old 01-15-2010, 10:12 PM

You can find anything on the internet that you want to find. If you want to believe that the Natives are spoiled brats, you'll find plenty out their to back up that supposition (if that were in fact what you're attempting to convey here; it's somewhat unclear).

That's no substitute for real life, though, which will eventually teach you something about the nuances involved in the complexities of the issues that you're trying to discuss.

I won't touch on the usage of "himselfs" just now...

Old 01-15-2010, 10:23 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,855,137 times
TeamC...Tact and knowledge comes with experience with boots on the ground...in a village, remote...you should become accustomed...

Old 01-15-2010, 10:26 PM

In the end it doesn't matter these towns are all just money drains, unless someone can show me where i ma wrong:
Bethel is a "self sustaining" village... however... we get imports, and we do not export anything... thus it must be a money pit... we are not giving back as much as we are making (which is nothing).

You can talk about the oil profits, but its not like the natives here have anything to do with the land that oil is coming from... thats those natives oil.

Bethel isn't the only town like this... actually most bush villages are like this.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:12 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,572,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamcoltra View Post
In the end it doesn't matter these towns are all just money drains, unless someone can show me where i ma wrong:
Bethel is a "self sustaining" village... however... we get imports, and we do not export anything... thus it must be a money pit... we are not giving back as much as we are making (which is nothing).

You can talk about the oil profits, but its not like the natives here have anything to do with the land that oil is coming from... thats those natives oil.

Bethel isn't the only town like this... actually most bush villages are like this.
No, Bethel is a hub, it is where most fly to and then go on to smaller villages. It is a shipping hub for the river. The bigger barges come there from the states and drop freight and fuel off that is transfered to smaller river boats and taken up the river for deliveries to the smaller towns. The State of Alaska has a correctional center there that serves most of the Western Coastal area and other State agency's are based there. It is not so much self sustaining as it is the center focal point for a bunch of different descriptions and further destinations.

The people that live on the River travel to Bethel by boat and buy supplies there and the list goes on.

The Native corp there is the Calista Corporation which has had it's ups and downs, but for the most part is doing pretty well now, not as well as some of the other Corporations, but holding their own.

Bethel isn't my favorite spot in Alaska, but I spent a lot of years there in my youth working at the cannery and then working the river boats later on. Lot of good folks there, just a little too bleak on the landscape for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska