Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 05:34 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,740,416 times

Advertisements

quote=Manmountain;12387733]Well ya Brother.

I am a lady there mister and bought land and am going up to clear and start the house this summer!We are doing it not just spouting that others should be doing it!!

there and done that as they say. Is delivering pizza for 100 a day an Ideal? heck no.

again....you've done this in Alaska???

Your bank will suspend you debit /Credit C. usage for a day at least and be ready for that wakeup?

have it.,..don't use it ...so it doesn't matter!

wheres my wealth? hello? your gonna get takin My Alaskan Friend-- so make the moves and DO IT

I am surely not as concerned about that as you are....my "hard" investment was in land in AK!!

So when are you going to make the move yourself and stop the blaring band wagon for others to do it??? set an examply by doing not saying....as Rances saying goes "people may not believe what you say but believe what you do" take a lesson my friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 06:54 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,944,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manmountain View Post
The ideal is own a business in THE BIG LAND and a prime Lodge home in the peninsula or North of College Alaska, buts thats my ideal, how do I know? cause its my taste of what I like and feel the most free and protect my family and private property, its a goal.
You buy, I'll run it would solve my housing and employment problem in one sweep.

Old 01-10-2010, 07:51 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manmountain
The ideal is own a business in THE BIG LAND and a prime Lodge home in the peninsula or North of College Alaska, buts thats my ideal, how do I know? cause its my taste of what I like and feel the most free and protect my family and private property, its a goal.
Good luck with that now.

Once again, I would advise anyone considering making the move to realize that this poster's advice is less than...valuable. Don't get an old beater to drive up with on marginal monetary reserves...you may end up stranded somewhere. And don't count on pizza delivery to sustain you; it really isn't a large industry here outside of the more populated areas.

There are ways to go about doing it properly and plenty of good advice on this forum by actual residents.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:00 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,250,164 times
ya know Met, Mr Manmountain was going to be moving at about the same time as I did. Wonder what happened with that?

Old 01-10-2010, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephler View Post
ya know Met, Mr Manmountain was going to be moving at about the same time as I did. Wonder what happened with that?
Yeah...he's been around this forum for years blaring inanities. I doubt he's ever set foot on Alaskan soil and most likely never will. I honestly think that it's irresponsible of this forum to allow his posts encouraging people to move up with no money to stand...and yes, I do have something to say about that as it is quite often my family who foots the bill back south for those who've taken such advice.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:11 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,572,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manmountain View Post
YES in a nutshell, fear and apprehension holding onto the old out of fear? That isnt living My Alaskan Friends . Its about being REAL . You got the energy Alakshak has the task.

The draw is the VAST ENDLESS Wilderness. If thats your trip-- beats or meets anywhere in the world. Europe is cool, Ausyland is awesome, like the quote above the best place for certain tastes , leave it at that.

Heck on finances? buy a beater car for 800 duck$ and deliver pizza and take home 70 bone$ a night tax free!!! , plus flat hourly another 200$ a week. Damn it isnt hard to survive. Go hard too thats gonna be your moonshot My Friends.

Weekend off and driving on -----see ya there Mate Hit up Rance for the skinny and Marty for the other skinny.
Well I spend as much time in the Wilderness here in Alaska as much or more than anyone on this Tread, and can tell you that the "Wilderness" is pretty much either Federally, State or Native Corp owned. Less than something like 2% to 5% of the State is in Private hands... That don't leave much room for a guy going out and getting some prime land for building a lodge unless you have about half a Mil in the back to get the landowner's attention.

I have more problems with Grizzlies knocking over my burn barrel and Wolves trying to eat my dog than I care to deal with, but wouldn't trade it for the world.

As far as surviving, if you tried to live here with no resources, you are going to be in a world of hurts before winter gets set in solid.

If a person wants to move to and live in Alaska, fine, but don't do it on the cheap, those days are pretty much long gone.

Pizza delivery is by airplane in the bush, which makes it about a $300.00+- delivery fee on top of the $19.99 Pizza...

Old 01-10-2010, 08:45 PM

879 posts, read 1,732,199 times
Quote:
Less than something like 2% to 5% of the State is in Private hands... That don't leave much room for a guy going out and getting some prime land for building a lodge unless you have about half a Mil in the back to get the landowner's attention.
If there's one thing I've noticed, it's that there is no shortage of land for sale in Alaska. Living there as you do, I would have thought someone such as yourself would be the first to recognize this fact.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicBear View Post
If there's one thing I've noticed, it's that there is no shortage of land for sale in Alaska. Living there as you do, I would have thought someone such as yourself would be the first to recognize this fact.
Suppose you tell both Starlite and I where a lot of this land is, the viability of it, and what it would cost to build a lodge-like home on it.

The key word in Starlite's post is "prime". He's dead on.

Sure, there is lots of land for sale through the state...in the past people have gotten lucky with it but for the most part anymore it's nothing but remote marsh land that you can't even put a well in.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:52 PM

879 posts, read 1,732,199 times
Quote:
The key word in Starlite's post is "prime". He's dead on.
That's subjective. One man's prime is another's sub-prime.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicBear View Post
That's subjective. One man's prime is another's sub-prime.
What you aren't getting is that a lot of the land for sale in AK is basically land that you can't build on without a lot of added monetary influx. In order to have the kind of home that MM was referencing, a half a million isn't out of the question...

Some people do it right, like arctichomesteader here, who bought state land but actually went to see it before he purchased it and made sure that he could build on it. And it used to be that there were some pretty good deals available through the state but the best land has pretty much been taken.

I've seen a lot of this land for sale and so has Starlite. Much of it is literally swampland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska