Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 11:52 AM

879 posts, read 1,732,199 times

Advertisements

I'm not being sensitive at all. I think the sarcasm in my post was quite obvious, but apparently you guys/gals didn't "get it". I have noticed a propensity for posters to pile on those they disagree with, though, and perhaps I am now the latest whipping boy. Have at it, if it makes you feel better. It's of no consequence to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 12:21 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
Sorry, Nomadic, but this really isn't about you. You may "disagree" with Star and I and believe that there's cheap, livable land in Alaska just lying by the roadside waiting to be picked up, but the fact of your belief in that doesn't make it a reality. It simply is not the case. That doesn't mean that there aren't ways for a guy with skills to move up here and make it and doesn't mean that you shouldn't look around for some state land to purchase; it does mean that it's improbable that you'd be able to live and work from that land. Buy it to build a cabin on or whatever but if you've got to work you need to be where the work is.

If you came up and established residency, you'd be eligible to put in for the land lotteries, which offer more accessible properties.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
You may "disagree" with Star and I and believe that there's cheap, livable land in Alaska just lying by the roadside waiting to be picked up, but the fact of your belief in that doesn't make it a reality.
If there's one thing I can't stand, it's strawman arguments, and this is exactly what you're engaging in. I defy you to show where I ever made a statement such as this, or even suggested it. I didn't, and you can't. Stick to the facts, and quit trying to misrepresent what I said.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicBear View Post
If there's one thing I can't stand, it's strawman arguments, and this is exactly what you're engaging in. I defy you to show where I ever made a statement such as this, or even suggested it. I didn't, and you can't. Stick to the facts, and quit trying to misrepresent what I said.
You have made a few statements to the effect that there is no shortage of land for sale in the state of Alaska and some sarcastic comments concerning some of the replies you've gotten. No one has disputed that; what we've disputed is the viability of buying that land as a primary residence if one needs access to local jobs markets. I may have used a bit of hyperbole but I am quite certain that most people here get that.

Also, once again, it isn't really all about you. There's a lot of internet scams going on concerning the otc sales these days; anyone reading this forum to glean information on it deserves to read the truth.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:46 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,572,327 times
Quote:
OMG, you found out that we are hiding the best land in Alaska for ourselves...

Yeah, that is what we are doing. Our goal is to crush your dreams so that you have to live out your life in the far away land of Washington State.

NOTE: All that above is sarcasum...

Fact is that we have been trying to tell you to be aware that Alaska isn't like where you live. The weather is much more severe that most of what the lower 48 States have, the land is different in that Permafrost is a deal breaker for even those that live here.

I live in the Tanana Valley basin, my house is located in an area of a lot of Permafrost. My house has a four foot deep pad of gravel under it before the house was build to that it won't sink as much if the Permafrost melts, the gravel is a type of insulation to keep it frozen. The importing of Gravel is not cheap, but a requirement just the same as in most construction.

When the State of Alaska sells land for a few thousand dollars for five acres, it is swamp. They sell good land for tens of thousands of dollars and it is mostly only accessible by plane, boat or snowmachine, there are exceptions, but not many.

Good land with waterfront, view, highway frontage and other amenities, is very expensive. Feel free to come up and find out for yourself.

In the long run, you are only attacking yourself with the rants, we are telling you like it is here, take it or leave it, we already have our land and your Dreams are of no concern to us, we were only trying to help.

You want cheap land where there is someplace to get a job, then by all means good luck.

With your responses, I doubt you could make it in Alaska anyway. You take advice as if it is an attack, it isn't, but you feel that it is, so be it, I certainly won't waste my time with your questions any more.

Good luck in your dreams!

Last edited by starlite9; 01-11-2010 at 01:07 PM..

Old 01-11-2010, 12:56 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,035,075 times
According to an October 1998 report by the United States Bureau of Land Management, approximately 65% of Alaska is owned and managed by the U.S. federal government as public lands, including a multitude of national forests, national parks, and national wildlife refuges. Of these, the Bureau of Land Management manages 87 million acres (350,000 km²), or 23.8% of the state. The Arctic National Wildlife Refuge is managed by the United States Fish and Wildlife Service. It is the world's largest wildlife refuge, comprising 16 million acres (65,000 km2).
Of the remaining land area, the State of Alaska owns 101 million acres (410,000 km2); another 44 million acres (180,000 km2) are owned by 12 regional and dozens of local Native corporations created under the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act. Thus, indirectly, the 84,000 Eskimo, Aleut and American Indian inhabitants of Alaska own one-ninth of the state. Various private interests own the remaining land, totaling about one percent of the state.
Climate

The above is from wikipedia. So only 1% of the state is in private ownership. Thats about 3 1/5 million acres or about the size of Connecticut. Then if you take out all the private property that does not have road access, or just isn't livable you are down to about the size of Rhode Island...there really isn't a lot of private land in Alaska.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
You have made a few statements to the effect that there is no shortage of land for sale in the state of Alaska and some sarcastic comments concerning some of the replies you've gotten. No one has disputed that; what we've disputed is the viability of buying that land as a primary residence if one needs access to local jobs markets. I may have used a bit of hyperbole but I am quite certain that most people here get that.

Also, once again, it isn't really all about you. There's a lot of internet scams going on concerning the otc sales these days; anyone reading this forum to glean information on it deserves to read the truth.
Sure, I made a comment that there appears to be no shortage of land for sale in the state of Alaska, which I stand by, but how does that equate to "You may "disagree" with Star and I and believe that there's cheap, livable land in Alaska just lying by the roadside waiting to be picked up, but the fact of your belief in that doesn't make it a reality"? I've never had any preconceived ideas about land in Alaska and the price thereof, or moving to the state in general. If you were well versed in my comments, you would recall that I actually created a thread titled something like "Land on the Kenai Peninsula- doable for the average person?" I was gleaning information, not espousing preconceived ideas about what I believed to be true.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:
In the long run, you are only attacking yourself with the rants, we are telling you like it is here, take it or leave it, we already have our land and your Dreams are of no concern to us, we were only trying to help.

You want cheap land where there is someplace to get a job, then by all means good luck.

With your responses, I doubt you could make it in Alaska anyway. You take advice as if it is an attack, it isn't, but you feel that it is, so be it, I certainly won't waste my time with your questions any more.

Good luck in your dreams!
Yawn.

Last edited by NomadicBear; 01-11-2010 at 02:12 PM..

Old 01-11-2010, 01:11 PM

Thank you, Marty, for actually taking the time to produce some facts about private land in Alaska.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
No, I pretty much get it. You and your poster buddies were savvy and fortunate enough to find the only buildable properties available in the gigantic state of Alaska, and the rest of the land is garbage, so there's no good reason for the rest of us to ever even dream of finding, much less affording, a good parcel of land. In fact, we should just heed your soul killing advice, and never bother going to Alaska. Gotcha.
I'm pretty sure that this comment has something to do with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska