Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 08:44 PM

2 posts, read 3,858 times

Advertisements

Hi,
my husband is military and we are gonna be stationed at Ft. Wainwright....
Neither of us have ever been to Alaska, how are the prices? How high is the sales Tax??
What kind of leisure activites are there???

We have 2 small kids 1 and 2 yrs old.

We will be stationed at Alaska from March 2010 till sometime 2013....

Thank you,
Daphne
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 09:11 PM

41 posts, read 85,074 times
welcome to the party, me and my hubby are headed up to wainwright on the tenth of February I have learned more reading through all the posts on this forum in a few days, then 3-4 months of random digging around on the internet! Definitely go back and read through some of the older posts too.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:34 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,385,605 times
There is no state sales tax. However, some cities have their own sales tax.

Example: Anchorage = no sales tax, Wasilla = 2% sales tax

Old 01-21-2010, 09:44 PM

740 posts, read 1,975,084 times
Fairbanks isn't a cheap place to live, especially in the winter. Unfortunately your heating bills will be insane. I am unfamiliar with your prices in NY, so I can't give you a real comparison. Fuel is around 3.30-3.50 a gallon, housing wont matter i am guessing since you are military. Food in Alaska in general will most likely be quite a bit more than New York due to our shipping costs. I hope this helps a little.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:46 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,856,312 times
Heck, regular at Freddies in Soldotna is $3.57 per gallon unless you use the rewards card!

Old 01-21-2010, 09:48 PM

well I'm not sure if the original poster is from NY, but I am. Gas is here is about 2.60-3.00 depending on the day, and i know we only have 20 days to wait for a house to open on base, then we have to find our own. But i hear they are building more homes on wainwright. I'm not sure what heating bills are here, although i know nothing compared to Fairbanks, only because its including in our BAH here. I'm not sure if wainwright is the same. I'm personally hoping for a house on base, since i have mutts. And I wouldn't want to try and find a house to rent that allows mutts -_- Upstate NY is relatively cheap to live in, compared to our big city conterpart, wasn't much difference when i moved up here from farm country Ohio.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:29 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,891,861 times
There have been several articles in the Fairbanks News Miner regarding the military housing allowance for Fairbanks, if you are interested. I don't think Fairbanks proper has a sales tax but perhaps the borough has one and North Pole has one. I'm sure someone will correct me if I got it wrong, I hope.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:44 PM

20,296 posts, read 37,221,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damajaki View Post
Hi,
my husband is military and we are gonna be stationed at Ft. Wainwright....
Neither of us have ever been to Alaska, how are the prices? How high is the sales Tax??
What kind of leisure activites are there???

We have 2 small kids 1 and 2 yrs old.

We will be stationed at Alaska from March 2010 till sometime 2013....

Thank you,
Daphne
Fort Wainwright has brand new housing units all over the place, and is surrounded by Fairbanks. Drive out the main gate, and you are in downtown Fairbanks within five minutes of driving. No sales tax in Fairbanks, but 3% sales tax in North Pole (most people pass North Pole on their way to Fairbanks because of this tax). There are all kinds of outdoors activities around Fairbanks if you can handle the cold, and a ski slope right on post. The Yukon Quest should start in Fairbanks around March, I believe, and this is a sled dog race that you don't want to miss.

Old 01-22-2010, 02:48 PM

2 posts, read 3,858 times
Thank you guys so much.
I am from Washington =]
I really do hope to find something in Housing... I also have a dog....
But about the activities.... don't like the cold too much.............

Old 01-22-2010, 04:30 PM

I was told today by wainwright housing that a two bedroom wait could very well be less then two weeks for us. My hubby is an E-5, so i was half happy half not about that LOL. Since our stuff for the house isn't going to be in alaska till the 11th of march Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska