Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 04:54 PM

267 posts, read 972,378 times

Advertisements

I like the Glens Falls/Queensbury area. I have several friends that live in that area, they enjoy it. One has a teenager, and she's never mentioned the drugs and gangs. They are an upper-middle class, professional couple, but are very into the outdoors. Their daughter is a smart, well spoken, well rounded kid who seems very happy in the area. I think that area would give your kids plenty to do. Lots of stores & restaurants, but so close to all the outdoorsy stuff too. I am very familiar w/Corinth, it's a small town. I don't know that your kids would find it too exciting. A handful of bars, restaurants, but it's a drive for a movie theater. When I'm in Corinth and we want to go shopping or go out to eat, go to the movies, etc we drive to Queensbury. Also consider that some areas are hopping in the summer but dead the rest of the year, Corinth, Hadley, Lake Luzurne are probably very quiet in the winter, maybe Lake George too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 06:39 PM

4 posts, read 11,098 times
One word: ESCAPE -- no, make that four, add "... while you can!"

Old 12-18-2011, 04:52 PM

9,327 posts, read 16,687,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavinNJ321 View Post
Thank you to everyone who responded. I appreciate your advice. Its a big move. I know that finding the perfect town is impossible but it is still a scary thing to pick up a move to a new location considering we really know nothing of the area except Lake George. I tell myself that anything has to be better than NJ.
We moved from NJ four years ago when we retired. Had considered many, many places, including HI. We know we made the right choice as we are very happy in Saratoga area. Great neighbors and good friends, always willing to lend a hand. Grandchildren live 30 miles in VT and the comparison to "jersey kids" is amazing. Many people have moved up from NYC to give their kids a simpler life.

Old 12-18-2011, 04:53 PM

9,327 posts, read 16,687,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyNWOLegacyForensics View Post
One word: ESCAPE -- no, make that four, add "... while you can!"
I hope you escaped and found your paradise.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:20 PM

6 posts, read 9,347 times
Default Warrensburg has my vote!

If you would like to live in the Adirondacks I would suggest the town of Warrensburg. I grew up there and I loved the high school. There is also a great nursing program at SUNY Adirondack which is in Glens Falls and your child could even live at home if they chose to.

The Lake George area is beautiful, but busy in the summertime. That's why I enjoyed living in the next town up. I was able to go to LG when I wanted some activity, but could also leave when I wanted silence.

Warrensburg is a small historic town with a small high school. There are a lot of events in the area and this town is near the Adirondack Museum and a short 15 minute drive to the "city" of Glens Falls and area malls.

This link is to the Chamber of Commerce site: Warrensburg, NY ? Chamber of Commerce

This link is to the Town Board site: Town Of Warrensburg: Homepage: [Digital Towpath]

And here is the link to the school: Warrensburg Central School

PM me if you have any questions regarding the town of Warrensburg or the high school! I would love to chat about it! : )

Old 12-22-2011, 10:47 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,847,266 times
Quote:
Relocating to Adirondacks???

Posted Today at 11:32 AM by LeavinNJ321

I am desperately looking for advice. My family and I are considering moving to Adirondacks somewhere near our most loved Lake George. We have vacationed there for the past 18 years and love it up there. We all feel at peace when we are there and hate to leave. I have 3 children 18, 14, and 8. 18 year old will going to college in fall for nursing. Obviously looking for great schools with low crime rate no drug use. Don’t want to be in major metro area but not completely isolated from everyone. Need great town with socialization for kids. Thought about Queensbury but I have read some pretty negative things. Husband is a manager sand mining plant and also does earth work. Land clearing, excavation, grading ect. I would some to talk to other families from the area. Any suggestions??
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
I've lived in the Albany area for nearly 10 years now and I don't think you should write Queensbury off if you want a suburban type of atmosphere. Glens Falls comes to mind but I hear there is a huge drug problem among teens up that way. Then again, nearly every teen I know (and I am a teen by the way) have done drugs or still do drugs on a regular basis with the exception of about 2 of my friends.

Also, with Glens Falls, you really aren't too far away from Crossgates mall (probably the largest mall in the area) and also Saratoga. I always visit Saratoga every summer because there is a lot to do and also a very extensive mall up that way.

Nursing programs are fantastic around here. My friend is transferring to the one at Ellis Hospital and another one of my friends just got into the Albany College of Pharmacy (I think that's what it's called). It's one of the toughest programs to stay in.

As for your husband, I'm not really too big on construction and stuff like that, but I'm sure there has to be something for him to work at. Browse indeed.com.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:09 AM

6 posts, read 21,822 times
We have booked our vacation for July 2012 and left some extra time for exploring some of our options. I continue to appreciate hearing from all of you, especially from the kids who have grown up in the area. I think they have a completely different perspective than us. Like I said I know that there are drugs everywhere but the kids here are out of control. I also second guess my self because I have read so many threads from young adults who grew up quiet little Adirondacks towns where you have to drive 45 minutes for civilization and they just couldn’t wait to grown up and leave. They were bored and felt so isolated. I want the kids to benefit from the move and hopefully not hate me for it. They love being up there for vacation but not to sure about living there. We are just looking for better way of life I guess. I know I will love will love it but it’s not just about me.
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]

Old 01-03-2012, 10:35 AM

6 posts, read 21,822 times
What kind of drugs are the kids doing? Drugs are drugs I know but like I said the kids here can walk into school and get percs, meth, coke ,adderal, pot, zanex you name it. You would never know it. Its a quiet town blue ribbon schools ect.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:27 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,847,266 times
Quote:
What kind of drugs are the kids doing? Drugs are drugs I know but like I said the kids here can walk into school and get percs, meth, coke ,adderal, pot, zanex you name it. You would never know it. Its a quiet town blue ribbon schools ect.
You can get the same stuff in public schools here. I had a friend who would sit in the back of class and do whatever you do (I don't know how it's used) with SPEED. I have a friend from HS also that is addicted to cocaine and uses marijuana the moment he wakes up.

3 kids from the school district nearby were caught with marijuana just yesterday and I was offered Xanax the other day just walking down the street (which was really odd).

I see you mentioned Adderal. That is becoming increasingly popular. I know several people that use that.

Meth labs are common up here as there are many rural areas within driving distance of Albany and the surrounding areas.

Overall, underage drinking, marijuana, cocaine, and prescription pills (forgot Lortabs) are often abused by high school students around here.

HOWEVER...if you are a responsible parent, which it seems as though you are, I think your children should be able to use their heads before they dive into any drug atmosphere.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:13 AM

370 posts, read 1,366,971 times
I don't think you will EVER escape 'the drug problem.' Move to a 'better neighborhood' and you will just have richer kids able to buy them more easily or get designer drugs..you know the picture.

As a responsible parent you will want to talk often to your kids about drugs, including alcohol and the results of using and abusing them.

In the end, if you have a child or teen who will engage in risky behavior, you can talk all you want and try to go hide on a mountain and still he or she will find some connection.

For the record I never did any drugs nor did my husband and we grew up in two distinct places in two different countries. I did not live under a rock nor did he but just made the choice NOT TO DO THEM.

I hope my child will also do the same.

This is a nice life up here but again, it depends on whether you have a decent job and what you like. (and where you will work).

All the towns mentioned are quite nice, Queensbury, Glens Falls, Saratoga and there are other towns outside Albany. Some are bit rural and some of the residents sort of strange but you have to judge for yourself.

I find a bigger problem here the amount of people who SMOKE cigarettes. It's a culture shock to see people from 13-up to elderly constantly puffing away. It's like they never heard most of NYS health educated population has given up cigarettes.

You should be more concerned your kids pick up this habit if you move to the area. People don't blink when Mom is out carrying her baby on her shoulder while puffing away on her ciggies. That was something I have not seen since 1987 when my eldest nephew was a baby!

Where I lived before, this behavior from most people would cause outrage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area