Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2011, 08:09 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,214,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmfoodguy View Post
Chipotle = food for sheeple who like to dine at places like Chili's and Applebee's ?
Let's keep the misanthropic material for another forum, shall we? We know full well where you won't be eating (or will be eating in secret).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 10:07 AM

20 posts, read 48,599 times
There's a big difference between Chipotle's and Taco Bell. Twisters is a local chain and look at the quality of ingredients there.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:13 AM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,319,938 times
However, plenty of local/mom & pop joints cook bad, really bad, food using frozen/canned ingredients.

Taco Bell would be a step up in quality.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:51 AM

32 posts, read 69,575 times
Default Thank God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
Let's keep the misanthropic material for another forum, shall we? We know full well where you won't be eating (or will be eating in secret).
Thank god Chipotle is coming to town. Their food is never greasy and they don't try to stuff you with filler (beans and rice)!

Old 08-04-2011, 04:55 PM

Yeah, I always have them make my burritos with no rice and only a little beans... it leaves more room for the good stuff.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:50 PM

I noticed that they are putting a Jimmy John's on Paseo near Five Guys. I went to one in Dallas. It's much like Quiznos and Subway, but I thought the bread was of slightly higher quality.

Frankly, I grew up near NYC where every corner deli knew how to make a good sub, and none of the chains even come close. The trick is to use good quality bread and cold cuts and not premix the dressings. A good sub doesn't need to be toasted.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:57 PM

186 posts, read 467,503 times
At Jimmy Johns, you can also get the low-carb version........no bread, but is wrapped in lettuce leaves instead.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:23 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,214,735 times
While another sandwich chain coming to town will keep the existing places honest, I don't remember Jimmy Johns fondly. Definitely a few steps up from Subway, but it didn't ring the bell. I think I'd take a Yeller Sub over Jimmy Johns.

Firehouse Subs (comfortably ensconced on Academy) has been the best I've found in town so far.

I know Baggins has been around forever (and they do have other locations out of state).. how have their sandwiches been lately? Haven't tried Port-of-subs yet either.

And then of course there's Dion's.. toasting their subs to mouth ulcer-inducing perfection back when QUIZNOS was nothing more than a bad draw at Scrabble.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:06 PM

Baggins is actually not bad, perhaps the closest you can come to a real sub place in town. They use quality cold cuts. The bread at port of subs is slightly better quality than subways but then again nothing to write home about. Firehouse reminds me a lot of Jimmy Johns and Quiznos. Once again if you can't splurge for the Boar's Head cold cuts, you are already halfway lost. Then, if you cheap out and use chewy airy bread, you pretty much have no chance to make a great sub. The chili (I guess its called Texas chili here) at firehouse wasn't bad. Yellow Sub used cheap cold cuts and had dry crusty, airy, bread when I went there - I'm not sure I'd go back. I haven't tried Dion's or Weck's subs yet, but they look passable.

Old 08-09-2011, 01:59 PM

5,074 posts, read 7,496,873 times
I know this thread is about chains, but have you tried the Times Square Deli Mart on Yale and Central? It is run by actual New Yorkers. I'm a New Yorker myself but my idea of a sandwich was peanut butter and jelly. Still, the people at Times Square Deli Mart claim their sandwiches and subs are the real deal but I wouldn't know the difference. The one I tried was a "short" one but weighed about 5 pounds. It was kind of gross, actually, quantity-wise. I seemed to remember enjoying a tongue sandwich the last time I was in a deli in Queens, but the last I was in Times Sq. Deli Mart they didn't have that.

I like the subs at NYPD (New York Pizza Dept.) at Central and 3rd St., they have an eggplant parmesan sub which is my favorite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque