Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 07:06 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,718,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big time bro View Post
I am ashamed by the responses the op has received, you would think there are a bunch of immature teens in the ABQ forum. You people bash Prescott and anyone who dosent care for ABQ. So what, everyone has an opinion and preference, be respectful of it. This is America not Iran.

And remember.....Prescott may not be your cup of tea just like ABQ is not the cup of tea for most in the nation.
I am not from ABQ nor live there. Have no emotional ties to the area. However, considering it's one of the Top 10 Fastest growing Metropolitan Areas this past decade (I believe 6th), obviously there is something to offer outsiders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 07:24 PM

Lastly, I don't feel I "bashed" Prescott. Just gave a realistic expectation for those who aren't independently wealthy, highly skilled in a field of demand or retired and have good pensions to afford the real estate prices in Prescott.

I personally find Prescott lovely from a scenic standpoint. However, scenery won't pay your bills if you can't find suitable employment. There are people that commute to PHX from there. 200 miles round trip and 4-6 hours in a car five days a week due to the wages being that much better in PHX. If that is what it comes to, never should of moved to Prescott in the first place.

Flagstaff is WORSE. A buddy of mine is a school teacher there. He bought a tiny condo for $150000 (700 sq feet) years ago before he got married. It's now worth $50000 and has tons of negative equity. Arizona is a "No Recourse State." The lenders CANNOT go after you for the deficiency or can the IRS do the same if you "walk away." However, he has no other options. 1000 sq foot homes are selling for over 300K in Flagstaff. Prescott is moving in that direction quickly too. Thank Californication folks. Make sure ABQ doesn't fall prey to it anytime soon !

Old 10-12-2011, 08:29 PM

132 posts, read 291,357 times
^ ^ ^ Instead, we're becoming victim of Texasization (see: horrendous Sprawl, chain proliferation, a low-tax-mantra leadership, drill baby drill, etc). Which is worse...?

Old 10-12-2011, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanabq View Post
Instead we're falling victim to Texasization. Which is worse...?
I've taken I 40 quite a few times. The Texas Influence extends to the Pecos River IMO. Santa Rosa to me was the beginning of New Mexican culture when traveling west. West Texas (specifically the Panhandle) is about as conservative as they come. Due to your diversity of culture and ethnic groups, I doubt too many of those bible thumpers in Amarillo would relocate to ABQ to set up shop. Maybe they have. I'm going by trips through and nightly stays over the years in ABQ and Gallup. Only had an extended stay in ABQ once for vacation.

Once I am settled in PHX, I hope to eventually get a second home in your state. Love the 4 seasons and rustic scenery. I'm more Libertarian than the Far Right that dominate PHX. Socially liberal but fiscally conservative (hate handouts to the lazy). As stated, if I had employment opportunities in ABQ, I'd choose it over PHX. However, gotta pay the bills.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:09 PM

Lastly, I will be passing through shortly after the holidays enroute to PHX from NY. I keep thinking about the name of that restaurant featured recently on Diners's Drive in's and Dives. I remember it's in back of a liquor store and serves famous burgers topped with Green Chili right there in ABQ. Hoping to time my trip so I stay over there and have a burger at that place.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:56 PM

32 posts, read 69,431 times
I wasn't gonna post on this thread anymore due to the insane amount of negativity directed at me. I said a lot of nice things about Albuquerque and New Mexico and even explained alot of the nice things I have done which I garuantee is a lot more than most.

Hunted Deer and Elk in the three rivers area, Cloudcroft area and all of Lincoln county area. Fished in all the lakes and streams, have driven all the back roads whether it be national forest or have gotten permission from ranchers to hunt coyotes and have gotten paid $25.00 for each coyote I killed. My family owns a ranch in southern N.M. BTW. I've skied Sierra Blanca and done the angel fire thing. I can go on and on about the black forest range (Gila). Spent entire summers in the sangra de cristo mts when I was a young and crazy mt man. Rode horse back across capitan mt range when I was a 10 yrs old. Climbed nogal peak as a teen-ager. been to white sand numerous times.

I would challenge anyone to try to say they have utilized N.M. more than I have. (Could care less though) My problem is with dirty city living. For all you people who say you never go around Zuni or Cruise Central you are the close minded ones.

Why the bashing of California and Texas? Texas or should I say Texans spend a lot of money here in New Mexico, some areas of N.M. depend on tourist dollars. California is a beautiful state but suffers from government over regulating businesses which in turn cause businesses to leave the once great state of California. Nothing worse than New Mexicans bashing other states or out of staters.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:39 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,186,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
However, considering it's one of the Top 10 Fastest growing Metropolitan Areas this past decade (I believe 6th), obviously there is something to offer outsiders.
Albuquerque metro is growing quickly, but it doesn't crack the top 10. If you've got data to the contrary, would love to see it.

Quote:
Lastly, I don't feel I "bashed" Prescott.
Quote:
Lastly, I will be passing through shortly after the holidays enroute to PHX from NY.
Lastly is a word I don't see much used these days. So to see it twice is kinda funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acelucero75 View Post
I wasn't gonna post on this thread anymore due to the insane amount of negativity directed at me.
Don't see why you're confused. You posted a lot of negative things.

Quote:
I said a lot of nice things about Albuquerque and New Mexico
I went back and counted. You started the thread with one or two positive things and far more negative things. You then followed up with some positives which looked half-hearted (or even attempts at damage control) to me. If you walked into a business in Albuquerque and said aloud the things you posted, would you really be all that surprised to get dirty looks or worse?

Quote:
Texas or should I say Texans spend a lot of money here in New Mexico
Yup. Just ask the governor.

Quote:
Nothing worse than New Mexicans bashing other states or out of staters.
There is one thing worse. Bashing their own. Luckily, odds are whoever moves in where you leave will be a fair bit more kind.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:30 AM

1,741 posts, read 2,629,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
Albuquerque metro is growing quickly, but it doesn't crack the top 10. If you've got data to the contrary, would love to see it.

There is a line in Albuquerque's Wikipedia page which mentions Albuquerque being the sixth-fastest growing city. I don't know if that's where magnum gleaned it from, but nonetheless it can be found there as well. It does cite a source for the claim.

Albuquerque, New Mexico - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-13-2011, 08:39 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,779,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
Your "top 10" reference perhaps does not count. "These metropolitan areas with more than a million residents saw the most growth between 2000 and 2009."

Rich

Old 10-13-2011, 01:40 PM

32 posts, read 69,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmathecat View Post
It's a matter of public record that SusanNA's campaign contributions came, in large part, from Texas donors.

Enjoy the Brewer administration. She doesn't like brown people, either.
So you want to play the follow the money game? Anyway New Mexico is lucky to have Texas as its neighbor. A neighbor who spends alot of its money here in New Mexico. New Mexico has lots to offer in the form of wilderness and exciting and fun outdoor activities. Alot more than Texas but thats just me and my biased opinion. Have any of you heard of the Inn of the Mountain Gods in the Mescalero reservation? It was reticently updated and renovated back in 2005. A lot of TEXAS money gets poured into that place. The community of Ruidoso N.M. benefits greatly from Texas money.

Jane Brewer not liking brown people???? Wow what a racist comment. All Governor Brewer is doing is enforcing the law, nothing more nothing less. Maybe New Mexico should follow Arizona's lead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque