Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 02:45 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,517,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmathecat View Post
Enjoy the Brewer administration. She doesn't like brown people, either.
Most people here don't even consider her our governor. That distinction would go to AZ Senate President Russell Pearce, whose been given free reign to do as he pleases.

He is, however, facing a recall election as well as allegations of planting a sham candidate to steal votes from his competitor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 04:05 PM

5,065 posts, read 7,477,175 times
I can't blame you for wanting a change and trying something new. I also left my home state which my friends thought was The Greatest Place On Earth, and am glad I did. Someday I may leave New Mexico for the same reason, to experience a different environment. Change is good.

Good luck to you!

Old 10-13-2011, 09:59 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,734,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acelucero75 View Post
So you want to play the follow the money game? Anyway New Mexico is lucky to have Texas as its neighbor. A neighbor who spends alot of its money here in New Mexico. New Mexico has lots to offer in the form of wilderness and exciting and fun outdoor activities. Alot more than Texas but thats just me and my biased opinion. Have any of you heard of the Inn of the Mountain Gods in the Mescalero reservation? It was reticently updated and renovated back in 2005. A lot of TEXAS money gets poured into that place. The community of Ruidoso N.M. benefits greatly from Texas money.

Jane Brewer not liking brown people???? Wow what a racist comment. All Governor Brewer is doing is enforcing the law, nothing more nothing less. Maybe New Mexico should follow Arizona's lead.
Good luck in Prescott. It is a lovely place to live if you have the financial resources to make it work. It gets a lot of snow for only being 5000 feet. Low pressure systems from the Pacific during the winter dump their moisture on the Bradshaw Mts and Mogollon Rim in places like Prescott and Flagstaff. Yet, places on the leeward side like Winslow have very similar winters to ABQ despite similar elevations. Far less snow.

Prescott is frustrating to get to during snow. Roads are treacherous there in the winter if you aren't experienced in winter driving. Windy and curvy roads to say the least.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:10 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,795,805 times
Best of luck OP,

I have been through Prescott a couple times. Attractive area with a terrific climate. I hope you find what you are looking for there.

It sounds like a number of your concerns with ABQ may have been the city environment. Prescott will certainly be much smaller, and likely safer. Certainly a different place.

Best of luck!

FH

Old 10-21-2011, 08:34 AM

146 posts, read 326,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSTS View Post
And people like "you" are what is driving this country into the ground. The drivel that you spout makes me just sick. You (the generic you) are either here legally or illegaly and calling the illegals undocumented just trys to hide that fact.

Pure garbage...........
Well, it appears we don't agree on the issue, which is fine. Demonstrating deference for all people, regardless of country of origin, is a value I hold dearly. I make the suggestion, respectfully, only for those that may not have considered the power of language and might subsequently reconsider their word choices in the future; it is not my intention to engage anyone on the subject of immigration. If you are not inclined to be more inclusive and less pejorative in your speech, so be it. I apologize that it makes you sick, but I will not stop stop behaving ethically or empathetically. I shall continue modeling behavior I think reflects best on myself, and my country.

Peace out.

Old 10-21-2011, 04:49 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,638,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamsWest View Post
Well, it appears we don't agree on the issue, which is fine. Demonstrating deference for all people, regardless of country of origin, is a value I hold dearly. I make the suggestion, respectfully, only for those that may not have considered the power of language and might subsequently reconsider their word choices in the future; it is not my intention to engage anyone on the subject of immigration. If you are not inclined to be more inclusive and less pejorative in your speech, so be it. I apologize that it makes you sick, but I will not stop stop behaving ethically or empathetically. I shall continue modeling behavior I think reflects best on myself, and my country.

Peace out.
AdamsWest, I just wanted to say that I agree with you.

I would've liked to have just repped you, but I couldn't.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:31 PM

5 posts, read 6,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQalex View Post
AdamsWest, I just wanted to say that I agree with you.

I would've liked to have just repped you, but I couldn't.
Yeah - same here. People are not illegal. Period.

Besides, I love Central - take my kids there for icecream and pizza a lot and have never encountered anything uncomfortable whatsoever. Definitely one of the highlights of ABQ for us, the colours and lights, restaurants, people and the atmosphere.

Old 10-22-2011, 07:47 AM

78 posts, read 196,454 times
One of the positives of NM people and culture is IMO the understanding that money is not the be all end all of life. That is not true everywhere. People who struggle and strive to be the highest in their career and a big corner office don't come here in large numbers because they can more readily meet that goal in states such as Texas. Thats fine, but I personally don't want to live in a place where thats many people's reason for living.

Old 10-23-2011, 02:18 PM

146 posts, read 326,529 times
The diversity and feeling of inclusiveness is one of the reasons we chose Abq. There are jerks everywhere, Abq is no exception. However, I am pleased to say I feel that most people, most of the time, seem to share the values that brought us here. We just got back from an trip back East, and couldn't wait to come home. We heart Abq.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:28 PM

121 posts, read 300,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taba View Post
Yeah - same here. People are not illegal. Period.

Besides, I love Central - take my kids there for icecream and pizza a lot and have never encountered anything uncomfortable whatsoever. Definitely one of the highlights of ABQ for us, the colours and lights, restaurants, people and the atmosphere.
Central is long,it extends for like 10 miles,there are good parts and bad parts. I'm not sure if most people know this but people use to cruise Central on Fri. Or Sat. nights, it was bumper to bumper, lots of lowrider cars. It has died down though, too many problems for the police to deal with due to gang crime and punks. I cruised down Central one night in 2000, went into a nearby neighborhood near the Kmart and heard gun shots and left the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque