Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 02:42 PM

81 posts, read 439,998 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are searching for a town to move to for retirement within the next few years, likely in about 2 years. I thought I had found a nice place called Prescott Valley, AZ but the crime statistics concern me. My husband has been to NM and he really liked it, so wanted me to check into areas there. Of course I was not impressed with ALB crime stats either, but then ran across a mention of Rio Rancho, and their crime stats look like the kind of area I am accustomed to...

I have a LOT of questions about this area, and if I leave anything important out, please do let me know.

First of all, I see Rio Rancho is a very large town. Are there areas close to there with lower populations that folks would recommend as a good place(s) to look at?

We will be looking for a one story home, with approx 2500 sq ft and prefer to spend about 300K if possible. Is that doable in that area? Or what other SAFE areas would folks recommend?

While we could go a bit higher, I am really trying to save our cash for our "old age" especially in these tumultuous economic times. We are both 58, so we have a long way to go and I just don't want all our money tied up in a house.

We prefer to have some space between us and our neighbors, and really don't care for neighborhoods with postage stamp lots and all the houses looking the same. Are there areas with a more rural feel to them? Suggestions as to which areas would be best to look for affordable housing? We don't need anything fancy, but I am inclined towards a larger kitchen and larger bedrooms. We don't need to worry about employment as hubby can work anyplace he can have a computer. (We are SO lucky about that)

We need to be reasonably close to decent medical care, as I have some medical issues that require monitoring, but I am accustomed to driving 30 min or so to a doctors office. What us the availability of hospitals close by?

One thing that concerns me is that I need to have a doctor who accepts medicare (and tricare) as I am a disabled vet. In these times it is getting more difficult to find docs who will accept new patients who have medicare. Is that an issue there? (I know it is in Prescott, AZ)

Pests: What types of critters can I expect to run into there? I'm not worried about the good ones ...I wonder about the ones that can kill you OR destroy your house. Do you have scorpions and if so what types? I am currently fighting AZ bark scorpions in our winter home south of Phoenix, and they are really hard to get rid of, and those particular scorpions are pretty dangerous...

How about dangerous snakes, spiders, tarantulas etc etc...while I would not let these guys prevent me from moving to a place, I would like to know where I would encounter them...would it be likely in a town setting or only in untamed areas? How about big wild cats (which can be a problem in Prescott, AZ as it is in the mountains)...THOSE I'd rather stay away from LOL ...not much you can do if you run into one face to face

It appears from the pictures I have been able to find that the terrain is basically flat, with few mountains nearby? Is that correct? Is there any significant fire danger in the area? Are earthquakes a hazard in that area of NM? If so, can anyone tell me the names of the fault lines so I can research them? Any other "mother nature" issues to be concerned about such as tornados etc?

Are there any other areas in NM that are particularly pretty to live? I would be amenable to any area in NM that had moderate summer/winter temps and a low crime rate, so if you have suggestions of other areas where the cost of living is reasonable, please let me know...

Vegetable gardening: I like to garden, but see that night time temps are quite cool. Can people share their experiences with growing their own food? Can you easily grow warm season crops such as Tomatoes, corn, cukes etc or do you have to jump through a lot of hoops...Can you grow cool season crops such as broccoli, greens etc in the early spring or do the nights get too cold?

How is the freshness of produce in grocery stores in the area? Is locally grown produce available through farmers markets or road side stands?

Is dust a major problem? Do you have dust storms? Do you have monsoons ? I know in AZ they USED to have monsoons, but in many areas that has become a thing of the past...

I have already done some digging into water issues, and it looks like they are trying to get a handle on that. Any areas to be avoided due to water availability issues?

Are there good restaurants in the area? Our favorite past time is finding new and different cuisines..we love good food and are inclined to stay away from chain restaurants...

ah one BIG thing is how is the economy doing in NM? I ask this as in AZ a neighbor told me her parents income tax return was for 1/2 the amount due them, and AZ sent her an IOU for the rest...what IS the state income tax rate there?

It feels like I have asked tons of questions, but I am sure there are many things I have not covered, so feel free to chime in about anything important that a potential resident should know ahead of time.

Thanks in advance for your help in learning more about this area so I can decide if it is a place we might want to live.

Last edited by wldgrdnr; 06-30-2012 at 03:10 PM.. Reason: additional text
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 03:44 PM

1,566 posts, read 4,422,967 times
One way to whittle down your list of questions is to come out for a visit. Rio Rancho is a relatively short drive front he Phoenix area. If a picture is worth a thousand words, a visit is worth ten-fold that. Additionally, there are a bunch of topics similar to yours in the archives. Why not look there?

Good luck in making your decision. Hopefully, you'll find NM in and RR to your liking.

Old 06-30-2012, 04:22 PM

I am in WA right now and only come down to AZ in the winter...trying to whittle down areas via the net as winter is going to be hard to fit trips in, esp to ALB which is 8 hours from where we winter...that is why I am trying to do net research so I can figure out which places we want to spend our time looking at, and which can be ruled out simply be asking questions of people who live there...and I have to tell you so far from an aesthetic point of view, Prescott AZ is winning ...

http://www.google.com/search?q=presc...w=1393&bih=702

But I was hoping folks here could steer me in the right direction for the type of area I am looking for...I don't like big cities...and was hoping to fins out more about NM and perhaps some smaller and more scenic areas

I have already been able to totally rule out one place in eastern WA this way as I found out about radiation contamination from Hanford in that area...

This is the best way I have for researching areas long distance as when I get to AZ in November I want to be able to hit the ground running checking places out in person...

Last edited by wldgrdnr; 06-30-2012 at 04:42 PM.. Reason: add link,text

Old 06-30-2012, 04:46 PM

Default woops wrong link

This is the link I meant to post above

photos of prescott az - Google Search

I spent yesterday going through archived discussions and did not find answers to the questions above

Old 06-30-2012, 06:46 PM

366 posts, read 868,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wldgrdnr View Post
First of all, I see Rio Rancho is a very large town. Are there areas close to there with lower populations that folks would recommend as a good place(s) to look at?

We will be looking for a one story home, with approx 2500 sq ft and prefer to spend about 300K if possible. Is that doable in that area? Or what other SAFE areas would folks recommend?
I think the price is doable, however, if you are looking at Rio Racho with its 90K as a large town and want something smaller you should realize that Rio Rancho is really just the North west corner of the Albuquerque Metro Area with 900,000 people. You could find smaller more rural feelings places (Corrales, Los Ranchos) where you would be in the middle of the city but it would feel quieter. Your money might not go far enough there on housing though.

Los Lunas would be possible and about 30 minutes away from Albuquerque's medical centers, the VA hospital etc and you money should go plenty far there, but I am not sure what the crime statistics are like.

Quote:
We need to be reasonably close to decent medical care, as I have some medical issues that require monitoring, but I am accustomed to driving 30 min or so to a doctors office. What us the availability of hospitals close by?

One thing that concerns me is that I need to have a doctor who accepts medicare (and tricare) as I am a disabled vet. In these times it is getting more difficult to find docs who will accept new patients who have medicare. Is that an issue there? (I know it is in Prescott, AZ)
There are a lot of medical facilities and I think 2 (3?) just got built or are being built on Albuquerque's West side and Rio Rancho. No idea what they accept though.

Quote:
Pests: What types of critters can I expect to run into there? I'm not worried about the good ones ...I wonder about the ones that can kill you OR destroy your house. Do you have scorpions and if so what types? I am currently fighting AZ bark scorpions in our winter home south of Phoenix, and they are really hard to get rid of, and those particular scorpions are pretty dangerous...

How about dangerous snakes, spiders, tarantulas etc etc...while I would not let these guys prevent me from moving to a place, I would like to know where I would encounter them...would it be likely in a town setting or only in untamed areas? How about big wild cats (which can be a problem in Prescott, AZ as it is in the mountains)...THOSE I'd rather stay away from LOL ...not much you can do if you run into one face to face
//www.city-data.com/forum/albuq...-i-expect.html

Quote:
It appears from the pictures I have been able to find that the terrain is basically flat, with few mountains nearby? Is that correct? Is there any significant fire danger in the area? Are earthquakes a hazard in that area of NM? If so, can anyone tell me the names of the fault lines so I can research them? Any other "mother nature" issues to be concerned about such as tornados etc?
Earthquake - //www.city-data.com/forum/albuq...id-i-miss.html
Tornado/monsoon - //www.city-data.com/forum/albuq...q-monsoon.html

Quote:
How is the freshness of produce in grocery stores in the area? Is locally grown produce available through farmers markets or road side stands?
We have lots of local produce, farmers markets (New Mexico Farmers' Markets: Farmers Markets/Market Locations), and a CSA (Skarsgard Farms - Organic, Chemical-Free Produce in Albuquerque, New Mexico).

Quote:
Is dust a major problem? Do you have dust storms? Do you have monsoons ? I know in AZ they USED to have monsoons, but in many areas that has become a thing of the past...
Dust - //www.city-data.com/forum/albuq...s-into-my.html

Quote:
what IS the state income tax rate there?
4.9%

Old 06-30-2012, 07:50 PM

Thanks for the info...couple of issues that might rule it out for me, primarily 8.0 quake potential...I have been through a 6.8 and that was enough for me...one of the reasons I want to get out of here is the quake potential...here they are predicting we are overdue for a severe one and I live right near a fault line...

Did not see any info in the links you provided re snakes, so I'm going to assume that is not an issue?

I'll look at that other town, and do some quake research, but quakes are not predictable at all...

and surely those humongous bugs eating doritos had to be a joke...if not what the heck are those...THEY are enough to make me run for the hills, and I am not usually squeamish about bugs...

Hubby did some other research re taxes and AZ seems to be (overall) a lot cheaper re those...we pay no state tax here, so I am not crazy bout forking over state income tax to start with...

FYI Los Lunas 2 1/2 times the nat'l avg for murder LOL...and their other crime stats are high as well...nope not the kind of place I want to be, but thanks for the suggestion

Well, I had ruled out ABQ a long time ago for many reasons, but primarily crime, but thought I'd take one last look after hearing about Rio Ranchos...definitely not the place for us. Thx for all your help

Last edited by wldgrdnr; 06-30-2012 at 08:08 PM.. Reason: add'l info

Old 06-30-2012, 08:47 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,747,211 times
Quote:
Of course I was not impressed with ALB crime stats either, but then ran across a mention of Rio Rancho, and their crime stats look like the kind of area I am accustomed to...
We have lived in Rio Rancho (RR) since 1998. We have kids and grand kids here who have attended K through 12 and some college. Their crime statistics are either the lowest or second lowest in competition with Los Alamos.
Quote:

One thing that concerns me is that I need to have a doctor who accepts medicare (and tricare) as I am a disabled vet.
We have been using Tricare Prime since moving here. Our local RR hospital is less than four miles from where we live, Presbyterian Medical Group. My cardiologist is at UNM in ABQ by my choice. UNM is opening a new facility in RR next week...

As far as I am concerned, RR and ABQ have the most variety of medical facilities.

There are over 150 Rio Rancho related threads. Here is one on the longer ones: //www.city-data.com/forum/albuq...ncho-info.html

Old 07-01-2012, 03:06 PM

hhm I see the earthquake level of 8 was also a (bad) joke (in the Rio Rancho info thread) ...in fact the potential of an earthquake about level 5 is only 28%, and there is no potential of anything in what I would consider a really dangerous zone...

after looking at demographics of Rio Rancho, it actually looks pretty good overall as far as quality of life issues...I'll do some more checking...

I do wish when people were joking about something they would at least put a smiley or LOL or something so people not familiar with the area could tell that they are joking...Thanks for the Rio Rancho link above, I had seen (and read) that previously when I looked at many threads the other day about Rio Rancho...(that is where I saw the level 8 earthquake comment and in reading it again I guess the guy was joking, but I was speed reading through it and thought he was serious)

Is this a spread out community? Is it possible to find homes with about 1/2 acre of land or so? Is it mostly HOA's? Are there areas in Rio Rancho that have a bit more rural feel? ALB is a huge city and although that brings many benefits through amenities, restaurants, healthcare etc, I prefer a small town atmosphere...but you can have the feel of a small town without actually being one...it depends on whether they are packing people in like sardines or not :-)

I'll cruise through more threads and some other sites...Thanks for your help. I have to plan carefully what towns I will visit this winter as with hubby working, time is going to be at a premium...I don't have the luxury of being able to spend the entire winter checking out places.

Old 07-01-2012, 03:58 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,747,211 times
Quote:
hhm I see the earthquake level of 8 was also a (bad) joke (in the Rio Rancho info thread) ...in fact the potential of an earthquake about level 5 is only 28%, and there is no potential of anything in what I would consider a really dangerous zone...
Sorry, but the word earthquake does not exist in that thread (Rio Rancho Info)... You must have seen it in another thread.

Old 07-01-2012, 04:12 PM

woops sorry it was in this thread

//www.city-data.com/forum/albuq...id-i-miss.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque