Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 11:54 AM

2 posts, read 3,801 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't live in Rio Rancho. Recently, they put Unser Blvd. through from Albuquerque up to Rte 550 and then there were a number of stories on local TV about the police department being understaffed. Guess what happened next? A rash of burglaries- duh. Besides, from up in the mountains where I live, since Rio Rancho has little vegetation other than snakeweed and scrub, I can't even see it when the wind blows in the spring because of the dust storms. The west side of the Rio Grande is completely blocked out. In the 1960s-70s, individual buyers from back East were brought out to buy individual lots as investments. Around 2006, the state legislature barred Rio Rancho's government from using eminent domain to take the lots at market value from those individual investors, so any builder that wants a plot of land has to negotiate with a bunch of individual lot owners. So houses are clustered close together and it leaves a lot of open space for dust storms. Get away from 550 and 528, the eastern and northern borders of Rio Rancho, and you will find a lot of empty space filled with scrub and dirt. You have a nice view of the mountains butyou are better off living either in the mountains or somewhere like Corrales, which is in the middle of the metropolitan area yet secluded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 11:17 AM

6 posts, read 13,579 times
I'll be interested to see what you choose! I am looking to relocate to NM also...and I was RAISED in Prescott, AZ!! I LOVED it there...but Prescott in the 1960's and Prescott now are two different beasts!! I currently live in Tehachapi, CA because it reminded me so much of Prescott "back in the day." And I'm sure I am looking for that kind of vibe in NM. Haven't had my first excursion there yet...this summer, once school is out! (I'm a teacher).

Good luck in your research, and I'll be reading your posts!!

Old 03-23-2013, 03:51 PM

471 posts, read 979,678 times
Was in Albuquerque for a little while in 1980, back then everyone made jokes about 'Rio Rancho", (you could almost envision the banjos, chickens and earthships) But times have changed.... In 2012, we looked at several homes in RR, but decided it was too much like crowded suburbia for us. I felt that most of the back yards were like fishbowls, with everyone looking at you and you looking at everyone else. If you are looking in the 250K range, I would strongly consider many other areas in NM than RR, maybe a nice home with some land. Or maybe with the economy being like it is; just get a home for around
100k or so and bank the rest!

Old 05-27-2015, 12:30 AM

1 posts, read 1,393 times
Hello all you wonders. I was surprised to find a number of people contemplating the same move as my husband and I. We are planning to move out of Prescott Valley, Arizona, and are considering New Mexico or Texas. I ran across the various blogs about Rio Rancho from two to three years ago on this site. I would really appreciate it if any of you who posted a question or reply about RR would let me know what happened to you, especially if you moved to or are still living in RR.

We are looking for our "forever" home where we can spend the rest of our days. My husband has MS and is being treated by the VA so, locating near the facility in ABQ is appealing. Also, we need a climate similar to Prescott's because extreme temperatures cause him problems.

I am a teacher and plan to teach for approximately 10 more years so, I am interested in the schools -- the quality, the pay, and the working conditions. I am currently teaching in Yangzhou, China, and have one year left on my contract but, we plan to start traveling to potential new home locations while I am home this summer.

Thank you in advance for your feedback. You all sound like very nice, sharing people and I look forward to hearing from you.

Old 05-27-2015, 05:45 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,907,727 times
If I had the money and opportunity to move to the Albuquerque area I would seriously look at an older neighborhood for bungalow type houses or a small farm with water rights in Corrales. We drove through Corrales on a weekday and it looked both busy and real. Viewing Rio Ranch from afar, Sandia peak and an SW airliner window, it impressed me as an endless crowded subdivision.

Please realize Albuquerque is a geographically very big city. There is a lot of diversity from old dilapidated houses downtown to pseudo adobe mansions near the Sandia Mountains.

In reality we will in a couple of years looking for a winter rental somewhere south of Albuquerque in the Rio Grande Valley. Currently Socorro and Truth or Consequences are candidates.

Old 05-27-2015, 07:40 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,889,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkanthony View Post
I ran across the various blogs about Rio Rancho from two to three years ago on this site. I would really appreciate it if any of you who posted a question or reply about RR would let me know what happened to you, especially if you moved to or are still living in RR.

My husband has MS and is being treated by the VA so, locating near the facility in ABQ is appealing.

I am a teacher and plan to teach for approximately 10 more years so, I am interested in the schools -- the quality, the pay, and the working conditions.
My wife and I bought a home in Rio Rancho in 1998. Our daughter and family later followed us from the East Coast. We still live here and even though I look around to move, we have no reason to move. The VA in ABQ is about 27 miles, a 40 minute drive or less from us. There is a new much smaller VA facility in Rio Rancho.

Rio Rancho has their own school system. Here is a list of Albuquerque area related school threads. If you click on the HyperText sentence, it should open in a new window:

Montessori Schools in ABQ
Eastside 'vs' Westside schools
Best Elementary Schools in the North Valley/Los Ranchos?
Charter schools??
Are there any magnet schools for high-achieving students in ABQ?
Hoover MS/Eldorado HS - Questions about these schools & neighborhoods
Albuquerque elementary, middle schools
Good public schools in the Albuqueruqe Area
How are schools in North Valley/Corrales Areas?
APS Assigning Students to Alternate Schools
Opinion on the best neighborhoods/schools in 2020?
So Cal to Albuquerque ...? about private schools
Charter schools in ABQ
Advice about Montessori schools
schools in rio rancho vs. ABQ ?
Foreign Lang. in Elementary Schools
elementary schools and daycare in Paradise Hills/Rio Rancho Area
Rio Rancho elementary and middle schools
middle and high schools in albuquerque
Schools in the Four Hills/Kirtland AFB Area
Rio Rancho to break from Albuquerque Public Schools?
Rio Rancho Schools... money problems?
Moving to ABQ, How about the schools
Private Schools in Rio Rancho?
Elementary Schools in Albuquerque and Rio Rancho
Schools in Rio Rancho (Colinas del Norte Elementary)
Best Public Schools & Neighborhoods in ABQ?
Best schools
ABQ Catholic schools?
Albuquerque Public Schools

There are over 160 threads discussing Rio Rancho here are some of the larger ones:

What is it about Río Rancho?
Rio Rancho Info
Rio Rancho/Albuquerque Cookie Cutter?
Rio Rancho - Possibly Moving To
Relocating to Rio Rancho
What is the general opinion of Rio Rancho among Alb. people?
Likes and dislikes of Rio Rancho?
Rio Rancho - The Cabezon Neighborhood Thread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque