Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 10:39 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,991,741 times

Advertisements

I was a hophead for a long, long time, but I think I've mellowed quite a bit. I've tried pretty much everything out there, but the two beers I keep coming back to are Burning River (Great Lakes Brewing) and Long Trail Ale, as much for taste/comfort as value - those two are somewhat more reasonably priced here in PA as compared to the California beers, Bell's, DFH, Troegs and others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 01:02 AM

417 posts, read 445,638 times
I like Belgian style beers. Ommegang and Unibroue are excellent breweries.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:58 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,253,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
So family still works there....that doesn't make it a micro or craft brewery. I've met a few owners of craft breweries....including some of the big ones....doesn't mean diddly.

It's fine if you like the brand of beers they make....but don't try to pretend it's anything other than a brand of SABMiller or try to convince others that it's an actual craft brewery. It just isn't and it makes you look foolish. Next thing you'll try to tell us is that Blue Moon is a craft beer!!
I never painted it as a craft brewer. I personally don't care whether a brand comes from a microbrewer or not, if you do that is cool for you...I like beer, that's it. They make some good beers that I drink. If it makes you feel good to buy beers from certain companies and exclude others based on arbitrary definitions, great. I was giving additional information about Leinenkugel's that I am aware of. They make beer, the family still works there, they have a brewery that makes their beer in the same place the family started it, and they still support their local economy...if they didn't do these things, but still made the same good beer, I would still drink it.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:28 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,710,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
I never painted it as a craft brewer. I personally don't care whether a brand comes from a microbrewer or not, if you do that is cool for you...I like beer, that's it. They make some good beers that I drink. If it makes you feel good to buy beers from certain companies and exclude others based on arbitrary definitions, great. I was giving additional information about Leinenkugel's that I am aware of. They make beer, the family still works there, they have a brewery that makes their beer in the same place the family started it, and they still support their local economy...if they didn't do these things, but still made the same good beer, I would still drink it.
Two things.....I don't think they make good beer...so wouldn't drink it anyway....and I dislike being scammed....and companies like this are scamming and lying to the public...pretending to be something they aren't. And that I have a problem with.

Old 06-02-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Two things.....I don't think they make good beer...so wouldn't drink it anyway....and I dislike being scammed....and companies like this are scamming and lying to the public...pretending to be something they aren't. And that I have a problem with.
Two things,
1. I don't think I asked whether you like it or not, that wasn't the point of the conversation, and I am sure you tried all of their beers...like this: Big Eddy Imperial IPA | Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company | Chippewa Falls, WI | BeerAdvocate

2. Out of curiosity, I went to their website and read this:
-----------------
In 1988 the brewery merged with Miller Brewing Company. This partnership has allowed Leinie's to share its quality brews with even more beer enthusiasts. To accommodate the growth, Leinenkugel's[SIZE=2]® 10th Street Brewery was added in 1995. The small Milwaukee brewery handles the increased demand of the growing number of Leinie fans. [/SIZE]
-----------------
Is this what they are lying about?

Old 06-02-2014, 08:51 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,991,741 times
Despite what I said above, today I bought a mix-six and the first one I had out of the six was a Nitro Milk Stout from Left Hand Brewing. This was first thing I've had from them. Wow, did that go down smooth - and too quick! Really excellent example of a milk stout - and probably creamiest I can recall. It wouldn't be a regular purchase, but I'd definitely buy a full six of the stuff next time.

Old 06-03-2014, 02:55 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,140,549 times
My #1 is Heady Topper but I can't get it in VA.

My favorite limited release is Double Trouble by Founders Brewing.

My everyday beer is Jai Alai by Cigar City

Old 06-04-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Despite what I said above, today I bought a mix-six and the first one I had out of the six was a Nitro Milk Stout from Left Hand Brewing. This was first thing I've had from them. Wow, did that go down smooth - and too quick! Really excellent example of a milk stout - and probably creamiest I can recall. It wouldn't be a regular purchase, but I'd definitely buy a full six of the stuff next time.
Nitro is awesome in the right beer. I've had the Left Hand Milk Stout nitro also, VERY good.

Old 06-07-2014, 04:57 PM

479 posts, read 432,191 times
Talking These are...

a few of the many on my list:

Old 06-07-2014, 05:06 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,905,530 times
Ballast Point Sculpin.

And living a three minute walk from Craft Beer Blvd, (30th St. San Diego) the best beer street in the U.S., I know my craft beers!

Actually it depends on my mood, but I certainly don't have to go far to enjoy the best, and typically they are local.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages