U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-05-2010, 03:27 PM
 
410 posts, read 1,410,905 times
Reputation: 184

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone experienced being allergic to deodorant?

It seems my boyfriend is. He says what happens is as soon as he puts on deodorant he feels a tingle that in turn makes him scratch under his arms. He in turn scratches so much that he gets huge bumps filled with white puss. (I know gross) They eventually bust and leak until all the puss is gone. It goes away like normal and the process starts over again.

Yes of course I know (and he knows) he should stop scratching but apparently he can't. He does have allergies that he takes Claritin for or he swells up. I know he's allergic to mold but that's about it.

To go to the Dr. would be great but he doesn't have health insurance which I'm trying to get him to go to a clinic to get help but until that happens.....

Any suggestions on what to do, what this could be or what to use for deodorant? Any natural things he should look into using for deodorant?

Any suggestions appreciated?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-05-2010, 03:30 PM
 
Location: Canada
3,430 posts, read 3,910,376 times
Reputation: 2186
Is he using deodorant with antiperspirant? I am a woman and I find that if I use use antiperspirant it blocks the sweat glands. It caused a big lump to form under my armpit.
Has he tried different brands?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2010, 04:43 PM
 
Location: Mostly in my head
19,857 posts, read 61,425,177 times
Reputation: 19275
There are brands labeled "for sensitive skin." I had to switch b/c I was getting itchy but not as bad as your BF. Also, there is a "deodorant stone" sold in health food stores that works to some degree. The problem when I used it in the Deep South was humidity caused a yeast infection in my armpits. He could try either one of those.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 11-05-2010 at 10:52 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2010, 04:54 PM
 
Location: In a house
13,251 posts, read 40,124,956 times
Reputation: 20198
Some people have sensitivities to synthetic perfumes (the masking ingredient in deodorants). Some people are sensitive to aluminum chlorohydrate (the active ingredient in commercial antiperspirants). Some people are sensitive to both.

You might have him try a mineral crystal chunk instead. These crystals made from alum, which is a mineral salt harvested from the ground. Aluminum chlorohydrate is a potentially harmful chemical that absorbs into the bloodstream and is the main ingredient in antiperspirants. The mineral crystal chunks do not contain any aluminum chlorohydrate.

"The Crystal" is one brand of this thing, but there are other brands; they're pretty much the same. You can do a google search for "natural crystal deodorant." Some are shaped to be round, some appear more like a natural big chunk of crystal. They have no scent of their own. It's applied while the armpit is wet (out of the shower, or you could even just run the crystal under the faucet for a second to moisten it). It doesn't prevent perspiration, and it doesn't make him smell like anything in particular. Basically all it does is neutralize the perspiration so it doesn't stink.


If I remember right they're under $10 and last several months. You can buy them in any health food store and I'm pretty sure even GNC has them. Some major supermarkets that have "natural bath products" like a Burt's Bees section, also carry them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2010, 06:26 PM
 
410 posts, read 1,410,905 times
Reputation: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
Is he using deodorant with antiperspirant? I am a woman and I find that if I use use antiperspirant it blocks the sweat glands. It caused a big lump to form under my armpit.
Has he tried different brands?
He has switched many times to try different brands. He now uses woman's deodorant because he says men's is too strong or causes a worse reaction.

He found Secret and that didn't give him a reaction for a while but now that doesn't work. He gets the same reaction as everything else.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2010, 06:33 PM
 
410 posts, read 1,410,905 times
Reputation: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
There are brands labeled "for sensitive skin." I had to switch b/c I was getting itchy but not as bad as your BF. Also, there is a "deodorant stone" sold in health food stores that works to some degree. The problem when I used it in the Deep South was humidity caused a yeast infection in my armpits. He could try either one of those.
Thanks for the info. I'm in Texas so hopefully it will work in the winter and figure out something for the summer months.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 11-05-2010 at 10:53 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2010, 06:35 PM
 
410 posts, read 1,410,905 times
Reputation: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Some people have sensitivities to synthetic perfumes (the masking ingredient in deodorants). Some people are sensitive to aluminum chlorohydrate (the active ingredient in commercial antiperspirants). Some people are sensitive to both.

You might have him try a mineral crystal chunk instead. These crystals made from alum, which is a mineral salt harvested from the ground. Aluminum chlorohydrate is a potentially harmful chemical that absorbs into the bloodstream and is the main ingredient in antiperspirants. The mineral crystal chunks do not contain any aluminum chlorohydrate.

"The Crystal" is one brand of this thing, but there are other brands; they're pretty much the same. You can do a google search for "natural crystal deodorant." Some are shaped to be round, some appear more like a natural big chunk of crystal. They have no scent of their own. It's applied while the armpit is wet (out of the shower, or you could even just run the crystal under the faucet for a second to moisten it). It doesn't prevent perspiration, and it doesn't make him smell like anything in particular. Basically all it does is neutralize the perspiration so it doesn't stink.


If I remember right they're under $10 and last several months. You can buy them in any health food store and I'm pretty sure even GNC has them. Some major supermarkets that have "natural bath products" like a Burt's Bees section, also carry them.
Very informative. I didn't know all of that. I guess you don't think about it until you run across someone in the situation.

I'll check out "The Crystal" as well.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2010, 08:34 PM
 
Location: A Thousand Miles From Nowhere
427 posts, read 498,980 times
Reputation: 344
All good replies!! I get a bit of a rash now and then from deodorants. If it happens, a dash of hydrocortisone cream makes it go bye bye.

Yeah, I'd try a 100% all natural deodorant. I hear terra naturals is good.

He may just have allergies causd by deordorants(allergies type 1, contact allergies).

Common vitamins can actually help, along with green tea,quercitin, zinc.
Attached Thumbnails
Allergic to deodorant-armpit_powah_by_sweet_babboo.jpg  
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2010, 09:58 PM
 
Location: Hawaii/Alabama
2,038 posts, read 3,592,793 times
Reputation: 5602
Is he sensitive to hand sanitizer? I use this and it works remarkably well on both perspiration and as a deodorizer.

I use the hand sanitizer because I am allergic to most commercial brands of deodorant/anti-perspirant. He is lucky that he is male so he should skip the quick 'burn' that I have since I shave.

He might also try using a mixture of baking soda and cornstarch. The baking soda neutralizes odor while the cornstarch helps with wetness.

I hope that he finds something that works!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2010, 10:22 AM
 
Location: Wisconsin
746 posts, read 2,044,361 times
Reputation: 436
My husband has this problem if he uses antiperspirants. Look for deoderants without the antiperspirant.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top