Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 02:47 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,371,358 times

Advertisements

My daughter had really bad allergies and asthma for years. ER visits, doctors visits every few weeks and daily medications!! When we moved to a new house (same area) we got an Electronic Air Cleaner and UV light on our furnace. SHE'S BEEN GREAT EVER SINCE!! We also make sure we clean/change our filters every 30 days. The EAC can be a little expensive, but it was so worth it. We've already paid for it considering the medications and ER visits we avoided!!

Look into it. Check with your heating/AC company. At least she can be more comfortable where you are for now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 02:26 PM

1 posts, read 3,432 times
Default mold options

good luck in your house hunting in a mold free zone. One option to consider is the actual house you live in, in an area. Obviously, areas with higher humidity have a greater mold count on a continual basis. You may try checking your house for mold, specifically, not just the area you live in. Moderator cut: need at least 10 other posts to make specific recommendations
Here , in MI, we have lost one home to black mold and are looking to move locations because we battle it in a second home on the same land. Looking also, for that mold free place to live. Thinking that out west, dryer climates would be better. Suggestions welcome.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 01-28-2012 at 04:20 PM..

Old 02-25-2017, 01:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualcomposer View Post
Yeah, I like AZ to but there's no snow there and I don't think she would like the heat. Cold seems to help the problem she has. When we crank the air condition up, the flym in her bronchial tubes seem to almost vanish and she stops coughing. 10 minutes after she goes outside, she hacking and coughing the whole day.
I lived in IL and after growing up with a lot of Bronchitis and I was tired of constantly being sick all the time. I decided to move to AZ when I was 22. I did great there! Has your wife seen a pulmonologist? Maybe it could be something else instead of bronchitis. Is she this way all the time? For me when I have bronchitis, I'm better with heat.

Old 08-05-2018, 07:39 AM

1 posts, read 1,384 times
I'm experiencing similar in Austin, TX. Went to Florida (on the beach in Destin )and New Mexico near Santa Fe & felt great. Within an hour of being back I felt sick again. Went to Kauai, Hawaii & felt awful. I was surprised I felt well in Florida but maybe we were close enough to the sea breeze that it kept the air clean. I don't know if I'd be so lucky if I moved there. I lived in Santa Fe, NM for a couple of years and felt way healthier before moving back to Austin. Unfortunately, my husband is severely allergic to Chamisa, which grows there in the summer. Part of my challenge (and reason for moving back) is I'm a warm weather person, I don't like cold/long winter's but I suppose that keeps mold in check. I think I'm going to have to adapt. Wishing you and your wife well. Keep us posted if you find a location that works.

Old 08-05-2018, 10:17 AM

4,255 posts, read 5,937,571 times
This table is helpful (if a bit difficult to look at) for identifying relatively dry locations:

https://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/data/...a/relhum15.dat

It's available as an excel spreadsheet, on the main site:

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/ghcn/compa...-climatic-data

Something similar here, probably taken from earlier NOAA data:

Average Relative Humidity USA

There are lots of mold level forecasts online, but it is not always clear what they are based on. Many cities do not do mold counts at all. There is spotty coverage here, but at least you know that the information available (when it is available) is based on actual measures, rather than just models:

https://www.aaaai.org/global/nab-pollen-counts?ipb=1

Select a region, then a location.

Old 08-05-2018, 03:21 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times
If mold isn't one of your triggers those may not help you. Find out what you are allergic to, then search for areas where it doesn't occur or occurs less of the year. You are not going to get away from everything unless you live at high altitude with no vegetation or vegetation that doesn't rely on wind to disperse spores or pollen, cold but no humidity, and an indoor habitat that produces no dust, no mold, has no offgassing furnishings. But you have to be willing to LIVE at high altitude, in the cold, in the dry, with none of the allergen-producing stuff. Chances are very few people are willing to do that.

Find out what the worst offenders are for you and avoid them. Treat the rest.

Old 08-11-2018, 10:16 AM

9,459 posts, read 5,221,264 times
I have constant itching almost everywhere. I live in VT. Doctor has checked for everything under the sun - including my thyroid, which is a long term condition I have and deal with -but thinks I either just need more lotion, because we have mineral-y water which dries out our skin, or I have some form of contact dermatitis. When I went to NC/SC this past June, had no itching at all. I can only conclude that there must be some airborne allergen here, that I can't see, but whenever and wherever it gets on my skin, it causes great itching. sigh. I'm really tired of it. I take an over the county allergen med, doesn't seem to help too much. And this goes away in the winter (mostly), too. Not sure there is a medication that could help, and presume if the doctor thought there was she would have prescribed one for me. It's horrible. I sometimes feel like I have bugs.

Old 08-11-2018, 10:27 AM

4,255 posts, read 5,937,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamjedlicka View Post
I have constant itching almost everywhere. I live in VT. Doctor has checked for everything under the sun - including my thyroid, which is a long term condition I have and deal with -but thinks I either just need more lotion, because we have mineral-y water which dries out our skin, or I have some form of contact dermatitis.
Have you been tested for allergies? You don't mention that specifically.

Did you switch medications shortly before the itching started? I'm just thinking maybe it is a side effect of something you are taking. That doesn't fit with it improving when you were out of state though.

Old 08-11-2018, 10:12 PM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
I've lived in AZ since the mid 1960's and never had a dust or mold problem. I have had allergic reactions to some medicines, some food products, and non-native grasses. By me avoiding or eliminating those items the allergy symptoms disappeared.
You can have allergies anywhere you live. There is no allergy free area, you can have allergic reactions in one place and then move to another area and get a new set of allergenic problems.

Old 08-12-2018, 07:11 AM

9,459 posts, read 5,221,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
Have you been tested for allergies? You don't mention that specifically.

Did you switch medications shortly before the itching started? I'm just thinking maybe it is a side effect of something you are taking. That doesn't fit with it improving when you were out of state though.
No- i’m also on a statin for cholesterol but the itching has been ongoing - before, during and after a switch up of that med (from atorvastatin to rosuvastatin). I haven’t been tested for allergies because the doctor didn’t think my symptoms warranted it. I’m really beginning to wonder about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies