Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 09:46 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times

Advertisements

=^..^= wrote: Testimonials should never be taken seriously.

For me, it depends on the source. If a close trusted friend tells me that he or she has been helped by a certain substance, that has more credibility in my mind than hundreds of studies, that may say otherwise. That strategy has served me extremely well during my 63 years on the planet. If your strategy of NEVER believing a testimonial works for you, that's great....even though you are probably missing out on some good things.

=^..^= wrote: With almost no research done on this natural 'drug"... how can you claim it's safer than a glass of natural wine?

I claim it simply because it is true for me. Shortly after I started using kratom, I lost my desire for wine, so I stopped drinking it, and I feel MUCH better. That may or me not be the case for anyone else, but no one will ever never know with certainty without trying it out. If you are happy relying upon studies, then by all means let that be your strategy. There's nothing wrong with that, but it's not the only way to live.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 12-20-2012 at 09:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 11:06 AM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
Sure, I've taken cures recommended by friends, but they are usually something I'm familiar with--such as valerian, melatonin, camomille, hops, lemon balm, lavender, mint, peppermint, ginger, apple cider vinegar...but when something comes along that I know nothing about, and there's little info on the 'net, I do hesitate to take an internet recommendation or testimonial...nothing personal, but I'm simply cautious in a "look before you leap" mode...

Old 12-20-2012, 01:16 PM

19,696 posts, read 20,221,774 times
I highly recommend marijuana.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:56 PM

Little Dolphin wrote: Sure, I've taken cures recommended by friends, but they are usually something I'm familiar with--such as valerian, melatonin, camomille, hops, lemon balm, lavender, mint, peppermint, ginger, apple cider vinegar...but when something comes along that I know nothing about, and there's little info on the 'net, I do hesitate to take an internet recommendation or testimonial...nothing personal, but I'm simply cautious in a "look before you leap" mode...

Above all, follow your heart and let NO one else persuade you. Be wary of the so called experts. Take the studies with a grain of salt. Thy are often carried out with a foregone conclusion in mind. When you look for something, chances are that you will find it. Always think for yourself.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 12-20-2012 at 02:50 PM..

Old 12-20-2012, 02:49 PM

d217 wrote: I highly recommend marijuana.

That works too, but MJ is something that I don't want to make a habit of, nor do I encourage anyone to do so. Once or twice a year is enough for me as a special treat...and I live in Colorado where small amounts of MJ are legal.

Old 12-20-2012, 05:27 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
=^..^= wrote: Testimonials should never be taken seriously.

For me, it depends on the source. If a close trusted friend tells me that he or she has been helped by a certain substance, that has more credibility in my mind than hundreds of studies, that may say otherwise.
A friend could have felt better even if he or she didn't use the substance in question. The substance could also have had a placebo effect.

Quote:
That strategy has served me extremely well during my 63 years on the planet. If your strategy of NEVER believing a testimonial works for you, that's great....even though you are probably missing out on some good things.
See my reply above. It also depends on what the substance is and if it makes sense that it is possible to help the condition they had or had. Anything read online or in alt books should be ignored. Those testimonials are useless and can even be dangerous to the gullible.

=^..^= wrote: With almost no research done on this natural 'drug"... how can you claim it's safer than a glass of natural wine?

Quote:
I claim it simply because it is true for me. Shortly after I started using kratom, I lost my desire for wine, so I stopped drinking it, and I feel MUCH better.
Placebo effect? Most people do not feel bad after a glass of wine. Why would they? Do you mean you abused wine? Drank too much of it?

Quote:
That may or me not be the case for anyone else, but no one will ever never know with certainty without trying it out. If you are happy relying upon studies, then by all means let that be your strategy. There's nothing wrong with that, but it's not the only way to live.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:13 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,559,730 times
aromatherapy. I don't have trouble sleeping, but I use an aromatherapy vaporizer with lavender or chamomile every night, just because it's pleasant and I sleep so well with it.

Sleep, aromatherapy, essential oils for insomnia, sleep disorders, insomnia, sleep apnea, narcolepsy, RLS, Alternative therapies, mind-body medicine, integrative therapies

Old 01-15-2013, 02:19 PM

6,931 posts, read 6,864,193 times
I cannot believe that no-one has mentioned this....

Get someone to rub your feet (firmly because some people are ticklish) for 5-10 minutes and you will be fast asleep in no time. If you have no-one else at home apart from a dog or cat, I suppose a foot bath might help (although I have not tried that for sleeping problems)

The idea behind foot rubbing is that it brings the excess energy down from your head and distributes it more around your body. Often our minds are working overtime with what has been going on all day and we cannot settle, so rubbing feet (or hands, actually) will move this excess energy away from our heads.

Try it, it really works and without drugs can be a more healthful solution than medication.

If it works, pass on the information - dont let the drugs companies get rich when a natural 'cure' will work.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:48 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,022,043 times
I've been helped by Buteyko breathing exercises.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:13 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post

If it works, pass on the information - dont let the drugs companies get rich when a natural 'cure' will work.
And the Natural cures which are multi-million, no billion dollar businesses are now giving away supplements and other "cures" and treatments?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine