Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 11:15 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,571,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
I've used Kratom off and on very many years. Bali can have a sedative effect though it didn't always make me feel like that. I was wanting to calm but not sleep, that was my purpose for taking it. One batch can be better than another too. There are a couple Kratom forums online, it will give you all the info you need. They usually have a section for suppliers, some will send you samples free. I would go to various sites and ask for some bali samples. Tell them you have never tried Kratom before. It would be worth a try. It is a safe substance, many people use it and its help them cope with various health problems. Someone else was asking about Kratom on this forum. I made a post there talking a bit about the herb. The bad part is they are trying to demonize the herb and make it illegal.

What has happened with the politicians trying to ban Kratom is they are foolishly lumping it into the Synthetic drug area. As Kratom will be sold as incense they assume it is also a synthetic drug, which it is not. Indiana had banned Kratom, but after being corrected regarding Kratom, it was removed from the banned list. Iowa also jumped on the band wagon without knowing anything. They too will now leave off Kratom from banned substances. I was curious, as I live in Iowa and also didn't want to scare you off from trying it.

The Kratom Forum
A little bit of reading on Kratom alarmed me. It appears that people are using it to get high, there is some discussion about that on davidickes site. Sounds dangerous to me. (hallucinations)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 01:40 PM

7,841 posts, read 19,005,261 times
claudhopper wrote: A little bit of reading on Kratom alarmed me. It appears that people are using it to get high, there is some discussion about that on davidickes site. Sounds dangerous to me. (hallucinations)

Claud.... I like David Icke. I've read several of his books, but I take everything he writes with a grain of salt. He is prone to hype, exaggeration, and embellishment. It's hard to find accurrate information about kratom on the internet or via the media. Most of what I've read over the years just doesn't dovetail with my own experience and that of other actual kratom users. No one has ever mentioned having hallucinations! That's just not the nature of kratom. Rather it appears to be an alarm tactic used by those attempting to demonize kratom. Anyone using kratom to get high will be sorely disappointed, and likely to be a one time user. Unfortunately there is a growing number of unscrupulous, money hungry marketers selling kratom as a natural high. I'd like to see the SOBs run out of business.

Many of those using kratom are older guys like myself, looking for some gentle relief for the little aches and pains accumulated over a lifetime. From thousands of hours in the gym since age 15, just about every joint in my body has a bit of an ache. Nothing disabling, but enough to know that I'm no longer a 40 something youngster. At age 63, I'm cranking out 15,000 to 20,000 steps a day on my pedometer, and spending about 5 hrs a week in the gym working out at a high intensity. Most of the guys half my age, would kill to be as fit as I am. A little bit of kratom alleviates those minor aches & pains, and helps me to sleep better as a result. Kratom really is a fabulous sleep aid.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 01-28-2013 at 01:53 PM..

Old 01-28-2013, 07:43 PM

This is one of the few websites I know of, having accurate information about kratom.

The Kratom Association

The link above is a link to a brief article clearing up the most common misconceptions and outright lies so widely circulated across the internet. Everything I've seen about kratom in the media is a thinly disguised attempt to demonize it and influence the public to support the banning of kratom. I don't know the whole story, but I know that legislation banning kratom in Louisiana and Indiana was passed and later recanted when some actual study was carried out. I can only guess that the legislators also had second thoughts about being known as the guy who banned a tree leaf!

Old 01-29-2013, 09:21 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,891,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Or they're alt med fanatics who will lie about the cost and side effects. Or they're selling some alt med treatment or cure.

Honestly, I think a lot of it is self-imposed ignorance. There are many valid medical sites which clearly outline studies showing effectiveness, side effects, contra-indications, etc.

There are many alternative medicines which I need to be careful with due to prescription medications, or other medical conditions.

Ironically, my sister and I were just discussing the use of alternative/natural cures for my chronic insomnia. I mentioned that they cost so much more than my prescription and don't work as well.

I have a tendency to want to go natural when I can, and I do have quite a few well researched natural remedies.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:50 AM

Fortunately, I've been blessed with excellent health. I can count on one hand the number of times I've been to a doctor as an adult ( stitches for a dog bite, stitches for dropping a barbell on my head, tetanus shot for stepping on a rusty nail, & catarract surgery ). I use no pharmaceuticals, and a few herbs and plants ( spirulina, hemp protein, kratom, ashwaganda, mucana pruriens, and yerba mate ), mostly on a rotating basis, though I've had a at least one cup of yerba mate daily for the past 25 years. I guess you say I'm addicted to yerba mate! It is my beverage of choice.

I am an avid walker, often walking more than 10 miles per day on the local desert trails when the weather is pleasant. Also a life long fitness buff, having begun weight training at the young age of 14, and still going strong at age 63. On ocassion I go to a chiropractor friend for chiro care, but I prefer Rolfing to chiropractic. I'm a big fan of vibrational therapy, usually self applied with my own set of tuning forks. That may sound ridiculous to some of you, but I swear it's the best therapy going...for me anyway. EFT is my go to therapy for emotional issues. Works like a charm every time. I think many people could benefit from a similar regimen, but it's certainly not everyones cup of tea. Most would prefer not to drop a barbell on their head. That part of my program I do not recommend.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Fortunately, I've been blessed with excellent health. I can count on one hand the number of times I've been to a doctor as an adult ( stitches for a dog bite, stitches for dropping a barbell on my head, tetanus shot for stepping on a rusty nail, & catarract surgery ). I use no pharmaceuticals, and a few herbs and plants ( spirulina, hemp protein, kratom, ashwaganda, mucana pruriens, and yerba mate ), mostly on a rotating basis, though I've had a at least one cup of yerba mate daily for the past 25 years. I guess you say I'm addicted to yerba mate! It is my beverage of choice.

I am an avid walker, often walking more than 10 miles per day on the local desert trails when the weather is pleasant. Also a life long fitness buff, having begun weight training at the young age of 14, and still going strong at age 63. On ocassion I go to a chiropractor friend for chiro care, but I prefer Rolfing to chiropractic. I'm a big fan of vibrational therapy, usually self applied with my own set of tuning forks. That may sound ridiculous to some of you, but I swear it's the best therapy going...for me anyway. EFT is my go to therapy for emotional issues. Works like a charm every time. I think many people could benefit from a similar regimen, but it's certainly not everyones cup of tea. Most would prefer not to drop a barbell on their head. That part of my program I do not recommend.
that appears to be the best source I've come across. I'm interested in learning.
they say:
Quote:
Considering these last recommendations, it is suprising that the western media does not have a more open mind towards kratom, especially considering the growing amount of users who clearly benefit from it, as can be seen in the hundreds of comments here for example.
Doesn't surprise me at all, natural remedies take from their profits and their power over us. The Thai government didn't want people to lose their dependency on opium, so they banned it and chopped down the native trees. Afghanistan is probably doing the same, with our oversight.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:57 AM

4,956 posts, read 3,320,683 times
things I use for insomnia and help with falling asleep
warm bath with lavender essential oil
Valerian tincture few drops in a small glass of water
glass of warm milk with a little freshly grated nutmeg
Celestial Seasonings Sleepytime Tea
listen to a CD with waterfall sounds
lavender flowers sleeping pillow

Old 03-14-2013, 02:25 PM

7,141 posts, read 12,678,151 times
Hope this keeps up, but my magic formula the past few weeks is a couple of cups of tea made from one bag each of Tension Tamer and Nighty Night. At the same time, I take a 5mg. melatonin capsule, also an hour before bed...this combo puts me under and I tend to sleep through the night now...

Valerian didn't seem to have much effect on my sleeplessness.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Hope this keeps up, but my magic formula the past few weeks is a couple of cups of tea made from one bag each of Tension Tamer and Nighty Night. At the same time, I take a 5mg. melatonin capsule, also an hour before bed...this combo puts me under and I tend to sleep through the night now...

Valerian didn't seem to have much effect on my sleeplessness.
Looks like a great product, good for you. Think I'll pick some up, to just have it around. Thanks for getting back to us.
Celestial Seasonings Herb Tea, Tension Tamer, 20-Count Tea Bags (Pack of 6): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

Old 03-14-2013, 03:13 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,933,360 times
Get rid of all TV, computers, and smartphones in the bedroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine