Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 06:34 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,720,815 times

Advertisements

[quote=AnonChick;28393140]This is true. The following is -equally- true:

Some people choose to delude themselves into thinking that doctors and pharmacists have no answers and are useless, and that their certifications and licensing only gives them a license to make money so they can take expensive vacations and send their kids to the best schools. They believe that all you need is the passion and determination to learn, even if you have no actual skill or capacity to comprehend what you're being taught.

They believe that if you do enough google searches, you will find the illness that fits your symptoms, or will match the drugs you want to take with the symptoms you think you have. They will bend over backward and go out of their way to get SOMEONE to agree with their way of thinking, even if that way is harmful to them. And if someone points out that it's harmful to them, they will cite the conspiracy propaganda machine that insists that doctors and big Pharma are only in it for the money, so you should avoid them at all costs - and instead, bring your hard-earned dollars to THIS or THAT product line, stuff yourself with supplements and "treatments" that aren't even alternative; they're pure quackery, and make you spend more on unproven, untested products and services, only to discover that you never had the illness you thought you did - or your illness went away by itself - or the "treatments" didn't work and you're dead so you can't even complain to anyone about it.

Both sides of the coin are true beachmel. Those who blindly believe what they read on the internet because they are absolutely positive that Big Pharma and the Medical Profession are out to keep you down and poor and sick, AND those who blindly believe that the pharmaceutical companies and doctors are infallable and can do no wrong and are always looking out for the patient's best interest and that all alternative therapies are fraud because the internet says they are.

The truth, as I've said in the past, is somewhere in the middle.[/quote]

I absolutely agree Anon! Excellent post! The sad part of it is....that, as you said, there are "quacks" and dishonesty on both sides. Unfortunately, not everyone is willing to do the legwork and research...to delve into and absorb the science behind it all. They simply choose to be lazy (or are not intelligent enough) to accumulate the information required to make educated choices.

Addition: You know, in the middle of all of this messy life truth, is also the knowing that people die. It's a matter of "natural selection". Some people will not survive, regardless of whether they use professional treatments or natural/alternative treatments. Some people never get sick. Some people are never "healthy". Some people simply can not be saved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 12:32 AM

740 posts, read 1,973,300 times
So..I see it this way.

I have two choices. I can go the natural route with thousands of years of history meaning natural herbs and other remedies or I can go the ...modern...route with a random drug that was created using chemicals in a lab. Hmm, tough choice. :P

100,000 Americans Die Each Year from Prescription Drugs, While Pharma Companies Get Rich | Alternet

Old 04-18-2013, 08:47 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan_Adventurer View Post
So..I see it this way.

I have two choices. I can go the natural route with thousands of years of history meaning natural herbs and other remedies or I can go the ...modern...route with a random drug that was created using chemicals in a lab. Hmm, tough choice. :P

100,000 Americans Die Each Year from Prescription Drugs, While Pharma Companies Get Rich | Alternet

No one said you have the two choices. They were saying that it's not an "either/or" situation at all--you have many choices.

You can do one or the other, both, many. I'm of the opinion that no method is 100% perfect. That's one reason I prefer the term "complementary" medicine instead of "alternative" medicine. You can pick and choose and many people prefer to use both.

For instance, I need an antibiotic once a year during the late fall due to allergies. Now this is with natural allergy treatment, allergy shots, avoidance--I still get a bad sinus infection no matter how hard I try to avoid it. Untreated (or just treated with steam, herbs, whatever) it gets worse and I will have it all winter. Treated with antibiotics, it's gone within a week and that's the end of it. I am definitely not a proponent of antibiotics for every little thing but in such cases--yes.

Speaking of antibiotics, many people used to die of TB or else they were otherwise damaged for life by the disease. Now, with antibiotics, TB has become a rare disease.

On the other hand, do I believe in taking milk thistle to protect the liver? A resounding Yes. Are dandelion greens good for you? Yes. A good friend has cured her allergies by taking stinging nettles (in capsule form) but it has no effect on me whatsoever. So it's a good allergy remedy for some people. Would a conventional doctor recommend it? I don't think so.

If someone can take care of themselves using only natural remedies, that's great for them. If someone ones to use only conventional medicine, that's great for them. I do believe that most people are somewhere in between with some of us leaning strongly towards alternative/complementary medicine.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:24 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,987,632 times
Quote:
So..I see it this way.

You are aware of how high the death rate was for people BEFORE modern medicine aren't you? Antibiotics alone have saved BILLIONS of people who would have otherwise died taking herbs and putting cow dung and other useless natural "cures and treatments" on their injuries. Tell me, what old "natural" remedy would take the place of modern meds for hypothyroidism? What natural remedy lowers dangerous blood pressure or cures things like TB or a serious e.coli infection?

The Drug Co's may make billions a year but all those anti-drug sites never mention the billions they spend on research anb bringing a new drug to market.

Old 04-26-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
You are aware of how high the death rate was for people BEFORE modern medicine aren't you? Antibiotics alone have saved BILLIONS of people who would have otherwise died taking herbs and putting cow dung and other useless natural "cures and treatments" on their injuries. Tell me, what old "natural" remedy would take the place of modern meds for hypothyroidism? What natural remedy lowers dangerous blood pressure or cures things like TB or a serious e.coli infection?

The Drug Co's may make billions a year but all those anti-drug sites never mention the billions they spend on research anb bringing a new drug to market.
Okay, here we go! A personal story. Then again, you will probably believe that I am a paid person giving out testimonials because YOUR friend does it. Sort of opens my eyes to the kind of person you might be, considering you have friends like that.

I live in Ecuador and I am a wannabe gold prospector. Meaning, I am looking but haven't found anything of worth yet. Though I am having the time of my life and living outside the box.

I did a gold project in the Amazon on a "friends" property. He turned out to be a real snake, but that's another story. My friends and I were working hard dredging and over time we really got sick. Something that resembled dengue fever combined with dysentery(confirmed) from the accidental drinking of the river water. I was incredibly sick and had to be evacuated. They took me to the tropical hospital known for its modern medicine and after various tests, couldn't figure out what the dengue fever like symptoms were and ended up giving me simple antibiotics. They did absolutely nothing for me. While I was out in the jungle we were introduced to an amazing tree sap called Sangre de Drago, or Dragon's Blood in English. It is a red sap from a specific tree found in the lower elevations of the Amazon and it is amazing stuff. While in the jungle it was used to heal a really bad infection on a friends leg. The indigenous Indians never mentioned its internal use and I found that out later through research. I had brought a liter of the sap with me for future trips. About a week after I started taking it and after being sick for at least 6 weeks, I rapidly started feeling better. Keep in mind I was basically bedridden and in extreme pain. Ever since I have been selling it here to other gringos in my little town and have had huge amounts of success. It is loaded with antioxidants and is one of the strongest healing agents known. Do a little research and be amazed. I have also been using Cat's Claw or Una da gato and haven't been sick in about 4 months which is quite amazing for me being in such a rough environment.

This is just a recent, personal example of a natural remedy that blows apart modern medicine. Sangre de Drago is so powerful that a big pharma company took some of the ingredients and made a couple medicines based off of it and patented them. That should give you an idea right there how effective most herbal remedies really are.

Most modern medicine basically originated from herbs and just had harsh chemicals added to it for the sole purpose of being able to patent it. You really should do a little research outside of main stream media and open your eyes.

Old 04-26-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post

Billions of people? Proof!

Old 05-09-2013, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Billions of people? Proof!
Yes, billions around the world. Look up Penicillin, Sulfa drugs, Tetracycline and all the other antibiotics. Don't expect others to do your homework for you.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Okay, here we go! A personal story. Then again, you will probably believe that I am a paid person giving out testimonials because YOUR friend does it. Sort of opens my eyes to the kind of person you might be, considering you have friends like that.
Why shouldn't she have made her living that way when so many others are doing the same thing? Every site you read has the writings of people like her. You still read those sites don't you? What does that say about the kind of person you might be? At least she's not on Welfare or SSD/SSI. BTW, personal attacks are not allowed here.

Quote:
I live in Ecuador and I am a wannabe gold prospector. Meaning, I am looking but haven't found anything of worth yet. Though I am having the time of my life and living outside the box.

I did a gold project in the Amazon on a "friends" property. He turned out to be a real snake, but that's another story. My friends and I were working hard dredging and over time we really got sick. Something that resembled dengue fever combined with dysentery(confirmed) from the accidental drinking of the river water. I was incredibly sick and had to be evacuated. They took me to the tropical hospital known for its modern medicine and after various tests, couldn't figure out what the dengue fever like symptoms were and ended up giving me simple antibiotics.
Which you could have refused and insisted on more tests until they found the cause of your symptoms.

Quote:
They did absolutely nothing for me. While I was out in the jungle we were introduced to an amazing tree sap called Sangre de Drago, or Dragon's Blood in English. It is a red sap from a specific tree found in the lower elevations of the Amazon and it is amazing stuff. While in the jungle it was used to heal a really bad infection on a friends leg. The indigenous Indians never mentioned its internal use and I found that out later through research. I had brought a liter of the sap with me for future trips. About a week after I started taking it and after being sick for at least 6 weeks, I rapidly started feeling better.
Which, as you know, could have finally be the antibiotics working or you were recovering on your own as most people will, unless on a poor diet to start with.

Quote:
Keep in mind I was basically bedridden and in extreme pain. Ever since I have been selling it here to other gringos in my little town and have had huge amounts of success. It is loaded with antioxidants and is one of the strongest healing agents known.
Known to who? Antioxidants don't cure parasitic, bacterial or viral disease.

Quote:
Do a little research and be amazed. I have also been using Cat's Claw or Una da gato and haven't been sick in about 4 months which is quite amazing for me being in such a rough environment.
Your diet and your genes will account for that more than anything else. But if you believe it works, and it's harmless, go for it.

Quote:
This is just a recent, personal example of a natural remedy that blows apart modern medicine.
Only to those who write testimonials with no scientific backing.

Quote:
Sangre de Drago is so powerful that a big pharma company took some of the ingredients and made a couple medicines based off of it and patented them. That should give you an idea right there how effective most herbal remedies really are.
And yet the death rate was astronomical before modern medicine, something you never mention. Women died of childbirth complicatons and infections (and still do where alt meds are used). Infants died of simple bacterial infections (and still do where alt meds are used). People died of parasitical infections (and still do where alt meds are used). Colds turned into bacterial phumonias and killed millions each year (and still do where alt meds are used). Soldiers died by the score from infected wounds until the sufla-drugs came on the market.

I could go on and on and on but although you never mention these things, I know you have to know and be aware of them.

Quote:
Most modern medicine basically originated from herbs and just had harsh chemicals added to it for the sole purpose of being able to patent it. You really should do a little research outside of main stream media and open your eyes.
I've already done the research. You need to do more research, and not on alt med sites written by people like my old friend.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:49 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Actually cat, Sangro de Grado (the peruvian spelling) -does- work for wound healing, and -does- contain a high amount of antioxidants. There are a couple different plants that are called Sangro de Drago but the one from the tree that the Adventurer is referring to is Croton lechleri - Sangro de Grado, with the alternate, Equadorian spelling, Sangro de Drago. It's been used by tribal natives for centuries and its healing abilities are well known in the sciences that deal with the initial development of pharmacology.

Whether it works on all those OTHER things - I don't know. But it's known to be useful for wounds (the latex, or sap - forms a protective barrier when applied to epidermal wounds, and has a substance in it called taspine, which is an acetylcholinestrerase inhibitor.

These inhibitors are naturally present in poisons - but they are also used medicinally (as are many poisons and toxins - botox, anyone?) to treat a fair variety of things. One - it's a pesticide. Two - it is used to treat Myasthenia Gravis by increasing neuromuscular activity. Three - as an antidote to certain poisons. Four - combined with other chemicals to treat glaucoma and alzheimer's.

No - it's not a cure. But it -is- a valid treatment, when the chemical compounds are isolated and used. Sort of like how the dentist puts eugenol on the gum to numb it before he gives you a shot of lidocaine - but eugenol is the primary chemical component and active chemical of clove oil - which is why eugenol smells like cloves. And for the same reason - if you have a toothache, you can suck on a clove bud to provide temporary relief while you wait to go to the dentist the next day.

Old 05-10-2013, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Actually cat, Sangro de Grado (the peruvian spelling) -does- work for wound healing, and -does- contain a high amount of antioxidants. There are a couple different plants that are called Sangro de Drago but the one from the tree that the Adventurer is referring to is Croton lechleri - Sangro de Grado, with the alternate, Equadorian spelling, Sangro de Drago. It's been used by tribal natives for centuries and its healing abilities are well known in the sciences that deal with the initial development of pharmacology.

And this was used all over the world before modern medicine? 0.
Was it used locally? In all my reading I never once came across this Sangro de Grado. What exactly did it treat but not cure? Has it ever been compared to a modern antibiotic?

Quote:
Whether it works on all those OTHER things - I don't know. But it's known to be useful for wounds (the latex, or sap - forms a protective barrier when applied to epidermal wounds, and has a substance in it called taspine, which is an acetylcholinestrerase inhibitor.
It's never turned up in the history of medicine and alt meds that I've read. It may be something used in a small geographical area. I'm sure there are a lot of helpful natural treatments out there, but it doesn't change the fact that until modern medicine, including vaccines came along, all too many people died of diseases that are now very curable or preventable.

Quote:
These inhibitors are naturally present in poisons - but they are also used medicinally (as are many poisons and toxins - botox, anyone?) to treat a fair variety of things. One - it's a pesticide. Two - it is used to treat Myasthenia Gravis by increasing neuromuscular activity. Three - as an antidote to certain poisons. Four - combined with other chemicals to treat glaucoma and alzheimer's.
Are you talking about the pharmaceutical companies utilizing it?

Quote:
No - it's not a cure. But it -is- a valid treatment, when the chemical compounds are isolated and used. Sort of like how the dentist puts eugenol on the gum to numb it before he gives you a shot of lidocaine - but eugenol is the primary chemical component and active chemical of clove oil - which is why eugenol smells like cloves. And for the same reason - if you have a toothache, you can suck on a clove bud to provide temporary relief while you wait to go to the dentist the next day.
I understand that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine