Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 07:24 PM

699 posts, read 1,014,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Low blood sugar can cause those symptoms too. Do you know if yours is low?

It is daunting but educating yourself and experimenting is the best thing you can do, IMO.
How would I know? I did have blood work done last week.....would that be something called glucose? Don't know if that is listed but going to check now. Doc didn't mention anything unusual other than cholesterol
LDL being high and thyroid tsh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2016, 07:54 PM

3,122 posts, read 2,066,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelotus View Post
How would I know? I did have blood work done last week.....would that be something called glucose? Don't know if that is listed but going to check now. Doc didn't mention anything unusual other than cholesterol
Yes, glucose. Here is info

Non-Diabetic Hypoglycemia Symptoms and Treatment | Hormone Health Network

Hypoglycemia Symptoms - How to tell your blood glucose level is low

Old 05-26-2016, 08:49 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
Never thought about potassium.....thanks for that info, jam. Interesting to know your tsh is 0 with the meds. You are so fortunate to have found something that works!
It took me 10 yrs to get thyroid supported. I knew in my gut it was sluggish but lab numbers said I was fine...I was NOT. And my TSH was never as high as 5. But my MD tested T3 and T4 and we are all different with our bodies.

So many need thyroid support regardless of lab numbers.

I also started on this Iodine about 5 yrs ago, as I believe I'm somewhat low in iodine. I don't use table salt and don't eat a lot of sea foods. My friend does not take thyroid support and she is 87 but takes a drop or two of this iodine daily. When she feels cold and needs more energy she takes 4-6 drops.

Iosol Iodine for Thyroid Nutrition and Metabolism

You have a lot of information here, but it's probably true that your thyroid needs help.

Old 05-26-2016, 09:40 PM

OP's doc can do an iodine deficiency test or she can do a home patch test.

Either option is better than going on belief.

Old 05-26-2016, 10:05 PM

I've done many iodine patch tests over many years...iodine evaporates fast...body is sucking it up...it needs the iodine...plus, I don't get much iodine from foods. I know that. And I don't believe too many MD's want to be bothered with iodine testing for patients..I had to take Dr. Brownstein's Iodine Deficiency book to my doctor's office for her to read. They have so little time and pick and choose what they want to work with or not work with. So easy to write a script for a drug.

Old 05-27-2016, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I've done many iodine patch tests over many years...iodine evaporates fast...body is sucking it up...it needs the iodine...plus, I don't get much iodine from foods. I know that. And I don't believe too many MD's want to be bothered with iodine testing for patients..I had to take Dr. Brownstein's Iodine Deficiency book to my doctor's office for her to read. They have so little time and pick and choose what they want to work with or not work with.
Iodine deficiency causes the thyroid to enlarge. The patient would know if his gland swelled up even if there was no visible goiter, but usually it's visible too. If he doesn't have a goiter or enlarged gland, the doc has no reason to order the test.

Taking iodine is only effective if the hypo was caused by a deficiency. Many other things can cause hypo.

Excess iodine has been shown to cause subclinical hypothyroidism in recent studies.

Quote:
So easy to write a script for a drug.
Yeah. They hand out thyroid hormone replacement scripts like candy.

Old 05-27-2016, 09:30 AM

Quote:
I should clarify my post about hypoglycemia. You said upthread that you were told you have adrenal fatigue. The adrenal glands regulate blood sugar (among other things) so you could have low blood sugar issues without having full-blown hypoglycemia. Sugar and starch cause spikes and crashes which make your adrenals work harder. The right foods can stabilize your glucose so that your adrenals aren't stressed and working overtime, which helps them to recover. And your hypo could be a symptom of stressed adrenals.

ETA, I'm not suggesting that food could be the only cause. You mentioned other stressors in your life that further stress adrenals, so you would have to try to resolve those too. Getting your diet under control can be a first step. Try to avoid overwhelming yourself because that might add more stress.

Last edited by SimplySagacious; 05-27-2016 at 09:59 AM..

Old 05-27-2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Iodine deficiency causes the thyroid to enlarge. The patient would know if his gland swelled up even if there was no visible goiter, but usually it's visible too. If he doesn't have a goiter or enlarged gland, the doc has no reason to order the test.

Taking iodine is only effective if the hypo was caused by a deficiency. Many other things can cause hypo.

Excess iodine has been shown to cause subclinical hypothyroidism in recent studies.

Yeah. They hand out thyroid hormone replacement scripts like candy.

There is deficiency and then there is excessive. I'd bet not many americans have excessive iodine in their bodies. Deficiency yes, iodine is a major helper for hypoT. Read the above link from Byron Richards on Iosol which I found out about from Dr. David Williams...

Old 05-27-2016, 11:26 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
I just looked at my CostCo multi vitamin...... 100% RDA iodine. Between that, salt, wakame, kombu and whatever else other food has it, I'm pretty well covered.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-27-2016, 12:33 PM

Jamin, encouraging people to take iodine supplements on guesses is irresponsible. You need to know if you are deficient and to be advised on dosage. Taking it on a guess can lead to serious health complications, including poisoning.

Salt. The human body requires salt. Salt deficiency causes serious health problems, including coma, congestive heart failure and others. If you are cooking raw foods, add a little iodized salt. Iodized salt is the main reason most people in developed countries don't have iodine deficiency. If you are cooking packaged processed foods (bad), don't add it. Salt is especially important in hot weather, or exercise, to keep electrolytes balanced so you don't get fatigued, or worse, heat exhaustion.

Avoiding salt deficiency is especially important for the OP with adrenal problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine