Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 02:35 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times

Advertisements

I had Hashi years ago according to numbers...I don't know where it is today.

True, our thyroids can be off regardless of Numbers....just remember before thyroid labs, doctors started their patients on low dose Theraputic dose of desiccated support and went from there. The laundry list of symptoms is long.

I felt like a new person when my D.O. called in for low dose armour back in 2002, he did no labs, it was a phone call to him after 10 yrs going to MD's and their labs.

My tsh was always lower end like 1-2 and I was dismissed for years and when I got on armour, 10 yrs of depression lifted...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2016, 01:55 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,989,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
If it ever came to the place that I could not get my thyroid support, I would get this support online.

Desiccated Thyroid | Nutri-Meds Supplements

( brevity snips)
Who would do the blood work to see if the proper amount of active ingredient was in these products? Are these people depending on blood tests to make sure? Only blood tests will let you know if you're getting the correct amount. Example, I take 112 mcg a day to keep my blood levels normal. Two others I know take less. 112 mcg would be too much for them. It can be dangerous for the person who is not getting enough or is getting overdosed. As you know, one size does not fit all.

Old 06-04-2016, 09:44 AM

699 posts, read 1,014,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Those are cruciferous vegetables which are endocrine disruptors. Soy is another one. Some people do ok with them but since you don't know what is going on with your health, I would avoid them for now or severely limit them, personally. It may be that you can add them back into your diet later.

The wider variety of foods you can get, the better so that you aren't eating too much of the same things. Personally I would include potatoes and sweet potatoes sometimes.

Non-goitrogenic vegetables - bell pepper, squash, zucchini, eggplant, tomato, peas, green beans, carrots, asparagus, celery, cucumber, leeks, avocado, onions, mushrooms, garlic

and don't forget about herbs like oregano, basil and thyme.

Non-goitrogenic leafy greens - romaine, red and green chard, swiss chard, dandelion greens, red or green leaf lettuce, parsley

Non-goitrogenic fruits - blueberries, cherries, dark-skinned grapes, citrus, apricot, guava, kiwi, mango, pineapple, pomegranate, banana, apples

Also don't forget about dried beans and legumes, like lentils. If you need some delicious dish ideas for these, just ask. With my wife's guidance, I have become a pretty decent cook.

I don't think you have mentioned meat or fish ?

That is all I can think of for now.
Very helpful, thank you. Gosh, id love to try some of your wife's recipes. Can you post here....maybe others would also benefit? Or you can pm me.

Old 06-04-2016, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
this sounds like my story with the difference that I am 39.

My blood work is almost perfect, just a tiny bit off and therefore, I apparently have Hashimotos. I take a really low dosage of Thyroid meds and feel much better. Not great, but much better.

You can have relatively good blood work but still strong symptoms. Hashimoto's a bi atch.

Hi. My name is Hashimoto's. I'm an invisible autoimmune disease that attacks your thyroid gland causing you to become hypothyroid. I am now velcroed to you for life.

Others around you can't see me or hear me, but YOUR body feels me.
I can attack you anywhere and any way I please.
I can cause severe pain or, if I'm in a good mood, I can just cause you to ache all over.
Remember when you and energy ran around together and had fun?
I took energy from you, and gave you exhaustion. Try to have fun now.
I can take good sleep from you and in its place, give you brain fog and lack of concentration.
I can make you want to sleep 24/7, and I can also cause insomnia.
I can make you tremble internally or make you feel cold or hot when everyone else feels normal.
I can also give you swollen hands and feet, swollen face and eyelids, swollen everything.
I can make you feel very anxious or very depressed, too. I can also cause other mental health problems.
I can make your hair fall out, become dry and brittle, cause acne, cause dry skin, the sky is the limit with me.
I can make you gain weight and no matter what you eat or how much you exercise, I can keep that weight on you. I can also make you lose weight. I don't discriminate.
Some of my other autoimmune disease friends often join me, giving you even more to deal with.
If you have something planned, or are looking forward to a great day, I can take that away from you. You didn't ask for me. I chose you for various reasons:
That virus or viruses you had that you never really recovered from, or that car accident, or maybe it was the years of abuse and trauma (I thrive on stress.) You may have a family history of me. Whatever the cause, I'm here to stay.
I hear you're going to see a doctor to try and get rid of me. That makes me laugh. Just try. You will have to go to many, many doctors until you find one who can help you effectively.
You will be put on the wrong medication for you, pain pills, sleeping pills, energy pills, told you are suffering from anxiety or depression, given anti-anxiety pills and antidepressants.
There are so many other ways I can make you sick and miserable, the list is endless - that high cholesterol, gall bladder issue, blood pressure issue, blood sugar issue, heart issue among others? That's probably me.
Can't get pregnant, or have had a miscarriage?
That's probably me too.
Teeth and gum problems? TMJ? I told you the list was endless.
You may be given a TENs unit, get massaged, told if you just sleep and exercise properly I will go away.
You'll be told to think positively, you'll be poked, prodded, and MOST OF ALL, not taken seriously when you try to explain to the endless number of doctors you've seen, just how debilitating I am and how sick you really feel. In all probability you will get a referral from these 'understanding' (clueless) doctors, to see a psychiatrist.
Your family, friends and co-workers will all listen to you until they just get tired of hearing about how I make you feel, and just how debilitating I am.
Some of them will say things like "Oh, you are just having a bad day" or "Well, remember, you can't do the things you use to do 20 YEARS ago", not hearing that you said 20 DAYS ago.
They'll also say things like, "if you just get up and move, get outside and do things, you'll feel better." They won't understand that I take away the 'gas' that powers your body and mind to ENABLE you to do those things.
Some will start talking behind your back, they'll call you a hypochondriac, while you slowly feel that you are losing your dignity trying to make them understand, especially if you are in the middle of a conversation with a "normal" person, and can't remember what you were going to say next. You'll be told things like, "Oh, my grandmother had that, and she's fine on her medication" when you desperately want to explain that I don't impose myself upon everyone in the exact same way, and just because that grandmother is fine on the medication SHE'S taking, doesn't mean it will work for you.
The only place you will get the kind of support and understanding in dealing with me is with other people that have me. They are really the only ones who can truly understand.
I am Hashimoto's Disease.

Sounds so much like me although Hashimotos hasn't yet been suggested to me........thanks so much .....I'm wishing you well.

Old 06-04-2016, 12:54 PM

3,122 posts, read 2,066,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelotus View Post
Very helpful, thank you. Gosh, id love to try some of your wife's recipes. Can you post here....maybe others would also benefit? Or you can pm me.
I just realized that I should have asked what type of cuisine you prefer. Everything I can suggest is European (central-southern) because that is what works best for us. Eastern and other cuisines just don't agree with us.

In any case, I'll be back with some low glycemic recipe options.

Old 06-04-2016, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
I just realized that I should have asked what type of cuisine you prefer. Everything I can suggest is European (central-southern) because that is what works best for us. Eastern and other cuisines just don't agree with us.

In any case, I'll be back with some low glycemic recipe options.
We love all types of food.....maybe tell me some of your favorites?

Old 06-04-2016, 07:59 PM

3,122 posts, read 2,066,293 times
Quote:
We love all types of food.....maybe tell me some of your favorites?
Sent by pm so that I don't turn this into the food forum.

Old 06-04-2016, 10:56 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,989,759 times
Quote:
Preparing meals and eating has become a real challenge for me. I phoned the acupuncturist I'd been seeing to share my thyroid tsh result.....he still believes that the adrenals are the problem and told me that the fruit I've been eating is pure sugar and very bad for my condition. So no fruit. He told me to eat more green vegetables. No white potatoes and limit sweet potatoes. No white rice....little brown rice is ok.
He said to limit all grains essentially. When I look at simply sagacious link, it is REALLY depressing because it states that I shouldn't even be eating kale and spinach! Sweet potatoes, tofu, soy, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, book Choy, and many other greens also on list! And I imagine starchy Veges like corn and peas are a also a no no because of high sugar content. Acupuncturist told me also to stay away from dairy too.
So seriously, where does this leave me?
How would this help your thyroid gland? Hard to believe anyone would give you such poor and possibly dangerous advice. Google "balanced diet" and take it from there. The foods you're being told to avoid are all healthy nourishing foods.

If I were you I would find another Dr or see a Lic Nutritionist.

Old 06-04-2016, 11:51 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Who would do the blood work to see if the proper amount of active ingredient was in these products? Are these people depending on blood tests to make sure? Only blood tests will let you know if you're getting the correct amount. Example, I take 112 mcg a day to keep my blood levels normal. Two others I know take less. 112 mcg would be too much for them. It can be dangerous for the person who is not getting enough or is getting overdosed. As you know, one size does not fit all.

As I mentioned before labs came into play in about the 70's, there were no labs...doctors started patients on theraputic doses of Armour and depending on they were doing, upped dosing accordingly. Went with symptoms and not numbers.

I don't do well at all with synthroid or it's generic and that is what MOST allopathic MD's prescribe to their patients...that is what they are taught in today's medical schools....I've heard the synthorid people fund medical schools to a degree. Armour has been in existence for 100 yrs. Then along came labs and synthroid...a history MOST have no idea about.

My D.O. back in 2002 started me on I think 60mg of Armour and in 4 days that long depression lifted....then as I learned from thyroid support groups, broke pieces off my tablets every 2-3 weeks to up dose....I was not going to go to a doctor everytime I wanted to be checked... Plus I read books and had a friend who also cut his own pieces to up his dose. Once I got to 90mg I stayed there for 5 yrs. Then over the following years I upped my dose to 120mg and that's where I am today with the new generic for Armour, it's called NP thyroid by Acella out of Georgia. Again, I don't do well with Synthroid and as many have called in syncrap.

Again, it was all started on symptoms not numbers/labs. It's all been changed by the Modern Medicine World we live in today....there are still the old school doctors and most are integrative MD's...but there are probably allopathic MD's who know how to and want to work with desiccated support.

I do good ENOUGH I believe, no heart palps etc...and if it weren't for the mess from OA and hip surgery I deal with, I'd be so so much better..

Old 06-10-2016, 10:31 AM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Just want to thank everyone for sharing information.....so helpful
A day at a time I am experimenting with ways to support my body without drugs. I am thin and eat very small portions.........mostly what I consider to be healthy food.....very little sugar. AND because the amount of sugar was so small I figured it couldn't possibly be affecting me very much. Boy was I wrong. Since I've cut out that small amount I've been miserable, angry, weeping, super sensitive, waking middle of night.....wide awake, dreaming I'm eating bowls full of chocolate icing lol. I'm puzzled. Could that small amount of sugar have been the reason for my fatigue anxiety and depression? Also eat white rice a couple times a week.....probably also not a good idea. The whole area of nutrition is daunting to me....just not sure what to eat but am determined educate myself. I'm wondering if my breakfast oatmeal is a good idea. It's the slow cooking type but because it's a grain, I'm considering eliminating that too.
OP, you should get yourself checked for food allergies/sensitivities. I'd recommend a very good alternative treatment (which I've discussed with you in DM's), but I know you can't afford that, so start by finding a doctor or nurse in your area who administers a blood test for food allergies. There's a diet protocol to follow once you've been diagnosed. Oatmeal might be ok, but wheat could be an issue, dairy could be (or cow dairy--try switching to sheep cheese and sheep yogurt, as an experiment), you never know what you could be sensitive to. It could be egg whites, among other things, it could be anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine