Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 10:42 AM

102,202 posts, read 107,859,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelotus View Post
Preparing meals and eating has become a real challenge for me. I phoned the acupuncturist I'd been seeing to share my thyroid tsh result.....he still believes that the adrenals are the problem and told me that the fruit I've been eating is pure sugar and very bad for my condition. So no fruit. He told me to eat more green vegetables. No white potatoes and limit sweet potatoes. No white rice....little brown rice is ok.
He said to limit all grains essentially. When I look at simply sagacious link, it is REALLY depressing because it states that I shouldn't even be eating kale and spinach! Sweet potatoes, tofu, soy, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, book Choy, and many other greens also on list! And I imagine starchy Veges like corn and peas are a also a no no because of high sugar content. Acupuncturist told me also to stay away from dairy too.
So seriously, where does this leave me?
I wondered about the adrenals, too, based on your first post, but after your post about the results you got from eliminating sugar, it seems like the situation is more complex than that. Also, successfully treating the thyroid can support the adrenals. Eliminating foods that are stressing the system can also support the adrenals.

However, it would be worthwhile to take the adrenal stress index test to see where your cortisol levels stand. It's a saliva collection test not covered by insurance--it costs $100. With luck you could find a doctor or nurse on insurance in your area who administers it (most docs say it's not a valid test, even though the AMA approved it back around the early 90's). Otherwise, you'd have to find a naturopathic doctor or an MD who doesn't accept insurance to get the test. But let me ask you this: have you had years of chronic stress, or one or more major life stressors: a relocation, death of a loved one, job loss/unemployment, victim of crime, surgery whether major or minor, divorce or wedding, eldercare or special needs childcare in addition to working a job, etc.? Have you noticed changes in your sleep?

Your acupuncturist recommended eliminating a lot of basic foods? I agree with eliminating starches, but as to the rest, he wouldn't know without testing you in some way. Has he tested you, and if so, how? Don't go overboard with reading and scaring yourself from information that may not be relevant to you. Get testing to help unravel the complex picture that's causing your health challenges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 02:06 PM

699 posts, read 1,014,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I wondered about the adrenals, too, based on your first post, but after your post about the results you got from eliminating sugar, it seems like the situation is more complex than that. Also, successfully treating the thyroid can support the adrenals. Eliminating foods that are stressing the system can also support the adrenals.

However, it would be worthwhile to take the adrenal stress index test to see where your cortisol levels stand. It's a saliva collection test not covered by insurance--it costs $100. With luck you could find a doctor or nurse on insurance in your area who administers it (most docs say it's not a valid test, even though the AMA approved it back around the early 90's). Otherwise, you'd have to find a naturopathic doctor or an MD who doesn't accept insurance to get the test. But let me ask you this: have you had years of chronic stress, or one or more major life stressors: a relocation, death of a loved one, job loss/unemployment, victim of crime, surgery whether major or minor, divorce or wedding, eldercare or special needs childcare in addition to working a job, etc.? Have you noticed changes in your sleep?

Your acupuncturist recommended eliminating a lot of basic foods? I agree with eliminating starches, but as to the rest, he wouldn't know without testing you in some way. Has he tested you, and if so, how? Don't go overboard with reading and scaring yourself from information that may not be relevant to you. Get testing to help unravel the complex picture that's causing your health challenges.
Ruth
We have been away.....returned home a few days ago and I am wiped out from the travel and the heat.....
You asked about chronic stress..yes I have experienced years of chronic stress.... started in childhood. Then
major change/stress during the past year in particular. No acupuncturist did not test me...only felt my pulse and told me I had adrenal fatigue.
Since we returned home a few days ago, we learned that a noted Japanese acupuncturist has moved near us so I managed to get in to see him yesterday. Wow. The treatment was very different from anything I've ever experienced with Chinese or Korean acupuncture. It is an ancient form that he has practiced for 40 years. I didn't sleep well and today I am achy and tired but he said that is a normal reaction. He said he thinks he can help me. He stressed the importance of proper nutrition but nothing extreme .....suggested eliminating refined sugars and interestingly, supplements. He said that supplements take energy to digest and that we need to get nutrients from food, not pills which we only end up eliminating through uronation anyway. So for now, I'm not taking the thyroid meds....I'm going to give this a go first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine