Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 06:09 PM

2,407 posts, read 1,504,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Thanks, I appreciate the time took to write that. I think the fact that they removed and literally looked at it under a microscope is pretty thorough.

I will continue to treat it as well as possible, so far it's worked well.
No problem. I was just referring back to your post about unexplained fatigue, and believe the liver is one of those ground-level precursors to many other glands functioning properly.

Adrenal fatigue may also be suspect, although you did mention taking desiccated thryroid, which, if its an improper dosage, may serve to aggravate fatigue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2016, 06:21 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Apparently whining on the internet helps as my energy is back on an upswing. It's kinda funny, I only had, at max, 4 hours sleep last and I did yard work, cleaned kitchens/bathrooms, broke out the ladder to hang my photos.... manic/depressive energy levels.

In the future maybe I will just sleep through it again - I always power through it, but that may not be the wisest course. That may be while I feel better, OR because I had cut my dosage for biologics in half, which was too much so went for a less drastic reduction.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-26-2016, 11:52 AM

3,122 posts, read 2,066,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Don't worry. There is no such thing as "auto-immune". It is just an excuse medical doctors and some naturopaths use when they can't explain why there is inflammation in the body. The immune system does NOT "attack" itself but as the body's giant sewer system, the lymphatic system, which medical doctors know little about,does get clogged and backed up and havoc results! It happens to be a large part of the immune system.

Would Nature/God design living beings with a flaw like that where a part of the body actually attacks itself???? Of course it wouldn't and it DIDN'T. The body is designed to HEAL ITSELF. Did you ever cut yourself and watch what happens? The bleeding stops; a scab forms and the skin regrows over the cut.

That is why people need to wake up and realize how LITTLE the medical profession knows about how the body even works! A HUGE clue that they really don't get it are the number of surgeries performed where organs -- that are there for a reason --are cut out. That should rarely if ever happen.
I agree with some of what you said here. Nobody, including the medical profession, has a good grip on "autoimmune" or the endocrine system. So it doesn't matter what you call it for now, IMO.

I am not convinced these diseases are separate or separately distinguishable as they are generally believed to be. Too many of the same symptoms exist in all of them, or can cross over to all of them. At least some of them, maybe all, are genetic predispositions with certain triggers, like Celiac for example. If someone genetically predisposed to Celiac manages to avoid the triggers, which are primarily foods, they can avoid the disease or improve it by changing their diets.

Some natural foods are triggers also for some people. Some raw fruits and vegetables can inhibit the thyroid's uptake of iodine, which decreases thyroid hormone production, which results in hypo. Some of the triggers for autoimmune are environmental. Figuring out what your triggers are on an individual basis, and eliminating or avoiding them can clear things up. Triggers can be a combination of foods, environmental and lifestyle factors.

The belief that everyone can be healthy on mostly plant based diets has been DEBUNKED through genetic research. Only some people can. Researchers discovered an extra gene allele in populations whose ancestors evolved on mostly plant based diets. They are genetically adapted in order to process and convert necessary nutrients from mostly plants (dubbed the vegetarian gene). Populations whose ancestors evolved on mostly meat/marine based diets don't have the allele so they cannot convert necessary nutrients from plants or remain healthy on a plant based diet. Eating green could be in your genes | Cornell Chronicle I'm curious, will you ignore this finding because it debunks your frugivore belief? It also debunks the common vegan belief that everyone can be healthy on just plants. Obviously not.

Genetic research is moving in the direction of personalized diets based on our individual genetics. We will know if we have the vegetarian allele, predispositions to diseases, etc. Until then, we can experiment with our diets to find foods that cause us inflammation - the triggers that cause these "autoimmune" symptoms. We can aid our body in healing itself. I know for a fact that it can be done, but it isn't easy, quick or perfect. One has to be openminded, understanding that each of us is genetically unique. We have to discard the conventional thinking that there is a universal healthy diet because individuals don't respond to foods and other triggers exactly the same way the next person does, just as each doesn't respond exactly the same way to treatments.

Since this is the Alternative Medicine forum, I would like to point out that thyroid replacement hormone is not alternative medicine. It's the orthodox allopathic way regardless if it's animal or synthetic. The animal hormone was used before synethetic was developed. Additionally, it only suppresses a symptom - suppressing symptoms rather than addressing the underlying cause is also the allopathic way. Just thought y'all might enjoy the irony.

Old 05-26-2016, 12:32 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
Yes, this is the Alternative medicine area but there are both schools of thyroid support.

Options for Thyroid Treatment - Stop The Thyroid Madness

I'm really loving the #2 on list, Acella's NP thyroid. It's a script.

I take allopathic thyroid support even though it's food based from the pig. Pharma has been able to develop medicines that are food based.

Old 05-26-2016, 04:34 PM

699 posts, read 1,014,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
No problem. I was just referring back to your post about unexplained fatigue, and believe the liver is one of those ground-level precursors to many other glands functioning properly.

Adrenal fatigue may also be suspect, although you did mention taking desiccated thryroid, which, if its an improper dosage, may serve to aggravate fatigue.
Dog8ood
You mentioned Gaia herb thyroid support on another thread. I am considering trying that before starting on prescription medication. How long did it take for you to see results? My tsh is slightly elevated...around 5 but my fatigue is the main reason my doc thinks it may be thyroid. If I overdo activity, even walking, I can be out of commission for a few days.....I get flu like symptoms. My weight is fine so that is not an issue. I am experimenting with diet now. Haven't eaten gluten for years and now cutting out anything with added sugar and even bananas because of high sugar content in those. I live in an area where there are literally no alternative health practitioners. I'd have to travel a few hours to find one.
Since I've cut out added sugars, I'm in withdrawal. REALLY tired, body aches, strong sugar cravings.
I seem to be attracted to those foods that are the worst for my body unfortunately.

Old 05-26-2016, 04:46 PM

Just want to thank everyone for sharing information.....so helpful
A day at a time I am experimenting with ways to support my body without drugs. I am thin and eat very small portions.........mostly what I consider to be healthy food.....very little sugar. AND because the amount of sugar was so small I figured it couldn't possibly be affecting me very much. Boy was I wrong. Since I've cut out that small amount I've been miserable, angry, weeping, super sensitive, waking middle of night.....wide awake, dreaming I'm eating bowls full of chocolate icing lol. I'm puzzled. Could that small amount of sugar have been the reason for my fatigue anxiety and depression? Also eat white rice a couple times a week.....probably also not a good idea. The whole area of nutrition is daunting to me....just not sure what to eat but am determined educate myself. I'm wondering if my breakfast oatmeal is a good idea. It's the slow cooking type but because it's a grain, I'm considering eliminating that too.

Old 05-26-2016, 05:18 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
You say you are thin and eat small portions. Could be too your potassium levels are low. The RDA for potassium is 4700+mg. Low potassium levels will bring fatigue. I'm at a low at the moment with energy and drinking some Revive Vitamin Water that is high in potassium and no sugar. It's a little fix but I think I eat good but I know my diet isn't Perfect whatever that is.

I'm so bored with oatmeal I've stopped eating it. I eat eggs and sausage or beefburger or lamburger for breakfast or my soups I make a couple times a week.

Oh that's too funny, dreaming of eating bowls of chocolate icing....

Meats give me an energy lift, not lbs of meat but 4-6 oz...good beef and lamb are my favorite.

I'm going to put together a romaine salad tonight with avacodo, pieces of ham, cucumber, red onion, olive oil and rice vinegar. I kinda graze all day, so never hugely hungry.

TSH of 5 is hypo, but T3 and T4 are important too, but 5 is high. My tsh is almost 0 as I've been taking support so long and no depression and that was my issue before I got my thyroid fixed.

Old 05-26-2016, 06:29 PM

Never thought about potassium.....thanks for that info, jam. Interesting to know your tsh is 0 with the meds. You are so fortunate to have found something that works!

Old 05-26-2016, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelotus View Post
Just want to thank everyone for sharing information.....so helpful
A day at a time I am experimenting with ways to support my body without drugs. I am thin and eat very small portions.........mostly what I consider to be healthy food.....very little sugar. AND because the amount of sugar was so small I figured it couldn't possibly be affecting me very much. Boy was I wrong. Since I've cut out that small amount I've been miserable, angry, weeping, super sensitive, waking middle of night.....wide awake, dreaming I'm eating bowls full of chocolate icing lol. I'm puzzled. Could that small amount of sugar have been the reason for my fatigue anxiety and depression? Also eat white rice a couple times a week.....probably also not a good idea. The whole area of nutrition is daunting to me....just not sure what to eat but am determined educate myself. I'm wondering if my breakfast oatmeal is a good idea. It's the slow cooking type but because it's a grain, I'm considering eliminating that too.
Low blood sugar can cause those symptoms too. Do you know if yours is low?

It is daunting but educating yourself and experimenting is the best thing you can do, IMO.

Old 05-26-2016, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Yes, this is the Alternative medicine area but there are both schools of thyroid support.

Options for Thyroid Treatment - Stop The Thyroid Madness

I'm really loving the #2 on list, Acella's NP thyroid. It's a script.

I take allopathic thyroid support even though it's food based from the pig. Pharma has been able to develop medicines that are food based.
You missed the point. Food based, synthetic or other agents only suppress the symptom. They all do the same thing and none of them fix the thyroid. They are not designed to correct the problem. It's the conventional way of thinking (including your no. 2). Long term suppression of symptoms mask the underlying causes which can be a recipe for disaster. That much everyone knows.

It's fine if you or anyone else wants to take replacement drugs. Really, it is OK. So can alternative theories and methods be discussed without these constant endorsements of conventional medical treatment that doesn't correct the problem? Your link is more of the same conventional treatment. I've seen the long term effects of replacement drugs and it ain't good - and that is what the OP is trying to avoid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine