Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 08:12 PM

699 posts, read 1,016,096 times

Advertisements

More test results came back...... Doc suggested I take thyroid meds because my tsh level is elevated and I have hypo symptoms.....fatigue, depression, anxiety, sensitive to cold and heat, brittle nails. Mornings are very tough for me. Even after sleeping for 8-10 hours I feel like lead in the morning....heavy, dull, depressed, very hard to get out of bed but once I do, Im much better. Doc said it is up to me....he is not sure if I should take meds or not. I've had these symptoms for years....took Zoloft for 13 years....came off slowly and stopped 3 years ago.....I believe the drug made my symptoms worse but that is a story for a different thread. I'm living in an area where alternative doctors are rare......we moved here last summer when my husband retired.....lots of change which had worsened all my symptoms.
I'm not sure what to do.....posters on jaminhealth's thyroid thread have given me food for thought. I am probably eating more sugar and processed food than I need to be. It's not much but I am small frame and thin and just a little of anything can adversely affect my body. My thinking is to work harder on diet and try to find an acupuncturist. ...I am open to any suggestion. Since I stopped taking Zoloft, my nervous system is much more sensitive to supplements of any kind....I do take vitamin c, b complex, fish oil, ,magnesium, calcium, vitamin d, .....I was taking something called Adaptocrine but did not notice any benefit.
The fatigue is not always there.....early mornings yes....and if I over do anything like exercise, I could be out of commission for days. Would love to hear from others who have had to decide whether or not to try meds. I take no drugs, only supplememts losted above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 08:26 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,793,970 times
Your story is not unusual. Cut back on the sugars and processed foods for one thing. I don't know how old you are but MOST with aging need thyroid support.

My mornings are tough but for me it's low cortisol and chronic body pain that lives in my body. I use pain meds "bandaids" but the pain is in the body. The meds are bandaids...

At least a drop daily of Iosol iodine could help...it turns up the thermostat (our thyroid). A friend is very thin and cold, she has poor circulation also, but when she takes a few extra drops of Iosol it helps warm her up. She is 87 and not on thyroid support but could use it. Did acupuncture for years and it helped her, but she can't afford it anymore. Thyroid is critical for so much.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:14 PM

If it ever came to the place that I could not get my thyroid support, I would get this support online.

Desiccated Thyroid | Nutri-Meds Supplements

Personally I would not use levo/synthroid thyroid as I did very poorly years ago when an endo doc wanted me to take it.

Here are the choices for thyroid support.

http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com...oid-treatment/

Here is info on ThyroGold

https://www.naturalthyroidsolutions.com/

I don't know the Adaptocrine, but that it's herbal adrenal herbs and it could take at least 3 months of use to notice a shift. I don't know how long you tried it.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 05-23-2016 at 09:26 PM..

Old 05-24-2016, 05:04 AM

699 posts, read 1,016,096 times
Thanks, jam....I will take a look at your links....my age is 69 but my older sisters have far more energy than me so I'm not sure it's age related......I've always been low on energy and may have had thyroid issues all of my life. Adaptocrine was given to me by an acupuncturist who said I had "adrenal fatigue". He suggested I eat a diet that would support adrenals.....not sure exactly what that means tho. I have been slowly giving up sugar.....and now am finally giving up my evening trader joes chocolate coconut milk ice cream snack with banana and nuts.
I don't know what to snack on any more.....I am considering giving up bananas ......was eating one a day but they are high in sugar. I don't eat milk products so no yogurt and I try to stay away from cheese.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:47 AM

3,125 posts, read 2,078,183 times
Whitelotus, look up which foods have the nutrients that help to support adrenal and thyroid, mainly it's just a well balanced diet. Try to cook fresh foods from scratch as much as you can, use a little iodized salt. If you have trouble with sugar cravings, you can substitute with a good brand of honey, with moderation. Avoid artifical sweeteners too. Nothing else can replace the benefits of a good diet.

If it were me, I would try the gaia herbs thyroid support dog8food posted in the other thread. You might need a boost of those nutrients. I would try everything before resorting to desiccated or synethic meds. They both do the same thing, atrophy the thyroid.

Old 05-24-2016, 10:34 AM

48,564 posts, read 34,941,456 times
My diet is near impeccable. 15-20 fruits and veggies a day. 80% home made food. I rotate my proteins, I rotate my oils. I do intense workout 1 hour a day 5 days a week.

Intense fatigue has been getting worse. I thought it was from the RA and Fibro, but at my physical I was mildly hypo so I happily got on the meds.

I'm still so damn tired, it's like someone gave me a sedative. I power through it but it is wearing me down. I just added dessicated thyroid, but so far nothing. I tried to see what would happen yesterday if I went with how I felt I took a nap for 3 hours and then went to bed that evening and slept for 12.

It's a pain, because fatigue is a side effect of all those conditions to I'm not sure the cause.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-24-2016, 11:25 AM

3,125 posts, read 2,078,183 times
Mikala, intense workout can make hypo symptoms worse. Cutting back and lower impact might help.

Old 05-24-2016, 11:27 AM

Don't give up everything, coconut milk ice cream is OK and I used it for a while, bought it a lot actually...but I'm slowly cutting back on snacking. I like Klondikes and eat 1/2 maybe every other evening. Often some trail mix, an orange or tangerine. I buy some pretzels, like gluten free mostly but depends where I'm shopping. I now have Dark Choc Dove candy and eat a couple most nights, when the bag is gone, I'm done for a while on that snack.

Eat half banana, I do and put the other half in refrig for the next day.

Grape Seed Ex does provide Energy and I can't imagine how I'd be not taking it. I'm headed to 78 and still like my 2 cups of organic coffee daily. V8 low sodium is high in potassium and that sure gives me a lift, dilute the V8 with distilled water and fresh lemon. Add my MSM to that....potassium is a good energy lift and one can be low in potassium....even in the range, one can be low end of range, I am low end. So I take extra potassium.

Old 05-24-2016, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Mikala, intense workout can make hypo symptoms worse. Cutting back and lower impact might help.
Meh. By intense I mean I keep my heart rate up. I go from elliptical to weights to floor exercises nonstop.

I have added one day with actual running (bikini season!!!) and it hasn't made the RA in my feet much too painful.

I've been up 1 hour, and want to go back to bed. Won't because that's stupid.

Old 05-24-2016, 11:44 AM

My potassium is fine.

Not sure what gave the impression that I give a lot of stuff up? I don't. I just like veggies and they are good for me. I feel best when I eat healthy. I am a big proponent on whole foods, and have been incorporating organic and locally grown.

A lot of the fruits/veggies go into a smoothie, and I add everything even rinds from citrus.

I just got off a weekend with lots of parties, pork belly, truffle gnocchi, cheesecake..... you name it and I probably ate it this weekend. /lol

If something like a V8 gave me a lift, I wouldn't be complaining about being tired.

I'm used to some fatigue but this oppressive. I had bad brain fog before I started seeing the doctor along with pain, but this is like body fog, my brain is like "come on!! lets go!" and my body is "give me a moment. Ahhhh, no. How about more sleep?"

I see both of my docs in about a month. I have labs to do before, I'll do them today and they mail a copy to my house so I can see if anything is going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine