Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 11:43 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I wonder why the thread was moved from Great Debates. It would seem to meet the criteria for a debate, as there are such passionate arguments on each side. It makes you wonder if the topic is being marginalized, and if so, why. Big Pharma can't be that scared of homeopathy, can it? I guess we'll never know.
Pharma is in some scare to all alternatives and a large segment of that industry has been attacking alternatives for decades. Thanks to alternatives and homeopathy I get some pretty good sleep as sleep patterns have changed with aging. And not taking pharma drugs for allergies. Wish wish wish Arnica did it for OA pain. Working with homeopathy takes some time and know how to work with one's body constitution.

Old 09-30-2017, 12:09 PM

26,721 posts, read 26,793,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I wonder why the thread was moved from Great Debates. It would seem to meet the criteria for a debate, as there are such passionate arguments on each side. It makes you wonder if the topic is being marginalized, and if so, why. Big Pharma can't be that scared of homeopathy, can it? I guess we'll never know.
Thread there was closed. https://www.city-data.com/forum/great...athy-scam.html

Old 09-30-2017, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Where is it closed? Homeopathy is alive and well for a fairly large segment of the population.

Just heard a segment on NPR the other day about some stats and the figure 36% seems to be what I heard of those who favor and use homeopathy. Not bad in a pharma advertised country.

Old 09-30-2017, 01:36 PM

26,721 posts, read 26,793,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Where is it closed?
The recent thread that in_newengland was referring to. Click on the link.

Old 09-30-2017, 03:26 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,224,290 times
Quote:
Where is it closed? Homeopathy is alive and well for a fairly large segment of the population.

Just heard a segment on NPR the other day about some stats and the figure 36% seems to be what I heard of those who favor and use homeopathy. Not bad in a pharma advertised country.
Fairly large segment of the population??

A new survey, published in the American Journal of Public Health, finds that 2.1% of US adults have used homeopathy within the past 12 months
US survey on use of homeopathy

Not so much on the "large segment"

Its pretty clear from every study ever done Homeopathy is a scam and absolutely no better than placebo

Old 09-30-2017, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Fairly large segment of the population??

A new survey, published in the American Journal of Public Health, finds that 2.1% of US adults have used homeopathy within the past 12 months
US survey on use of homeopathy

Not so much on the "large segment"

Its pretty clear from every study ever done Homeopathy is a scam and absolutely no better than placebo
It is a large segment considering the pharma driven U.S. And who knows how accurate that % is, so many do take homeopathics and many are not reported. How are all the figures Absolute, know that word?

To work with homeopathics, one has to take their time to learn what can work, but MOST in the U.S. just take a script and pop pills and wait for results.

Old 09-30-2017, 05:02 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,224,290 times
Quote:
It is a large segment considering the pharma driven U.S. And who knows how accurate that % is, so many do take homeopathics and many are not reported. How are all the figures Absolute, know that word?

To work with homeopathics, one has to take their time to learn what can work, but MOST in the U.S. just take a script and pop pills and wait for results.
You pulled a number, 36% out of thin air with NOTHING to back it up.....

I gave you a number 2.1% that IS backed by research and IS NOT A LARGE SEGMENT no matter HOW YOU WANT TO SPIN IT

There is no "working with homeopathics" Homeopathy is absolute nonsense spun as a "science"

Homeopathy is safe I will give you that, it doesn't do any GOOD but it doesn't do any HARM since there is NOTHING THERE

Old 09-30-2017, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
You pulled a number, 36% out of thin air with NOTHING to back it up.....

I gave you a number 2.1% that IS backed by research and IS NOT A LARGE SEGMENT no matter HOW YOU WANT TO SPIN IT

There is no "working with homeopathics" Homeopathy is absolute nonsense spun as a "science"

Homeopathy is safe I will give you that, it doesn't do any GOOD but it doesn't do any HARM since there is NOTHING THERE
Oh yes, it's safe and no side effects, imagine that.

I didn't pull it out of the air, NPR had a segment the other day on homeopathy and the % in the U.S. using homeopathic, and 36% was the figure mentioned.

For someone who is so against holistic/alternative medicine, you spend a lot of time in Alt Med...

If it's absolute nonsense, why and how do Hylands, Boiron,USA and Hanhnemann Labs continue to keep their doors open and operating for centuries? Maybe they cook their books and pretend they are doing business...which repeats and repeats and repeats...homeopathy is quite inexpensive for what it does.

Old 09-30-2017, 07:27 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,667,075 times
I wouldn't say homeopathy is entirely safe. The remedy has to be matched not only to the symptom but to the person. I was given a remedy once that was totally wrong for me. Instead of helping me, it made me feel very uncomfortable--I don't remember too much because this was a long time ago. The discomfort lasted quite a few hours.

I went to another homeopathic practitioner who told me to never take that particular remedy again, that it was totally wrong for me.

I realize that it's not "supposed" to have any effect at all and I have no idea why it does have any effect, good or bad. Calms Forte used to help me sleep and I even gave some to a friend to take and she had no idea what it was. It knocked her right out (I made sure she was sitting on the couch.) Sepia helped me tremendously. Other than that, I never had much luck with any of it. It's kind of like an art and I don't think there are very many practitioners who understand how to use it. Trying to self diagnose and figure out which remedy to use on yourself is usually a failure I have found.

Supposedly it's impossible that it could work. I also don't think it's an easy thing to study because so often the wrong remedy is prescribed--of course it wouldn't work if it's the wrong one for that person. (It's goes according to their "constitution"--for example, there isn't a pill that's simply for headache. There's headache and a nervous person, headache and fatigue, headache after eating (just making these up as conceivable examples.)

Old 09-30-2017, 07:42 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,246,039 times
Any homeopathic nostrum made according to the principles of homeopathy contains nothing but water (or sometimes alcohol) or the same on perhaps a bit of sugar.

Any beneficial effect is no better than placebo.

If it made you feel worse it perhaps contained something other than water and was not truly homeopathic.

The only difference between homeopathic products is the label. They all contain the same thing: water. There is no "art" to choosing one beyond convincing the user that what he is given is just what he needs.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...s-do-not-work/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine