Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 06:41 AM

9,850 posts, read 7,716,018 times

Advertisements

I don't really care what an article says, I've read several books on the subject. I have decades of good results in my family.

In fact, we are finding more and more that as a family, we are very very sensitive to "regular" medicines and we are the ones that get the serious adverse effects. Maybe that explains why homeopathy has worked well for us.

I don't believe homeopathic remedies are all the same. I can get better results when I select the closest one for the symptoms. Does the placebo effect help? Of course! I intentionally use the power of the mind/suggestion and the placebo effect all the time.

Old 10-01-2017, 07:59 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Any homeopathic nostrum made according to the principles of homeopathy contains nothing but water (or sometimes alcohol) or the same on perhaps a bit of sugar.

Any beneficial effect is no better than placebo.

If it made you feel worse it perhaps contained something other than water and was not truly homeopathic.

The only difference between homeopathic products is the label. They all contain the same thing: water. There is no "art" to choosing one beyond convincing the user that what he is given is just what he needs.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...s-do-not-work/
I knew you would say that but I don't care.

I just want to add that for women going through menopause, sepia is an excellent remedy. You don't have to believe in it or have it scientifically proven, just try it and see if it helps.

Old 10-01-2017, 09:56 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,731,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I wouldn't say homeopathy is entirely safe. The remedy has to be matched not only to the symptom but to the person. I was given a remedy once that was totally wrong for me. Instead of helping me, it made me feel very uncomfortable--I don't remember too much because this was a long time ago. The discomfort lasted quite a few hours.

I went to another homeopathic practitioner who told me to never take that particular remedy again, that it was totally wrong for me.

I realize that it's not "supposed" to have any effect at all and I have no idea why it does have any effect, good or bad. Calms Forte used to help me sleep and I even gave some to a friend to take and she had no idea what it was. It knocked her right out (I made sure she was sitting on the couch.) Sepia helped me tremendously. Other than that, I never had much luck with any of it. It's kind of like an art and I don't think there are very many practitioners who understand how to use it. Trying to self diagnose and figure out which remedy to use on yourself is usually a failure I have found.

Supposedly it's impossible that it could work. I also don't think it's an easy thing to study because so often the wrong remedy is prescribed--of course it wouldn't work if it's the wrong one for that person. (It's goes according to their "constitution"--for example, there isn't a pill that's simply for headache. There's headache and a nervous person, headache and fatigue, headache after eating (just making these up as conceivable examples.)
It's a hit and miss and YES, if one goes to a homeopathic doctor and finds their constitution and stays with that doctor for their medical advice and treatments, then it could be a positive experience. I never did that, I thought of it but just didn't want to spend the money and get all the way into homeopathy. So I try things I feel could help and mostly for the OA issues.

And yes the Calms is a good part of my sleep combo. I sleep pretty good all night, bathroom runs but at this late date, my bladder needs to be emptied out more often, plus I drink a lot of water.

Another product which is a generic homeopathic ointment for so many pain issues, and it has 11 solutions in it and I keep ordering it as it helps my joints. There are 1000's of reviews on this product....so it's helping some and it's on the higher end at about $30 a larger bottle. Oh it's Topricin. Some here take the Voltran (sp) ointment but I have not and for starters the high cost of it and having to get a rx.

My goal has been and pretty much still is, NOT to undergo the knife on the knee..

Last edited by jaminhealth; 10-01-2017 at 10:12 AM..

Old 10-01-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Any homeopathic nostrum made according to the principles of homeopathy contains nothing but water (or sometimes alcohol) or the same on perhaps a bit of sugar.

Any beneficial effect is no better than placebo.

If it made you feel worse it perhaps contained something other than water and was not truly homeopathic.

The only difference between homeopathic products is the label. They all contain the same thing: water. There is no "art" to choosing one beyond convincing the user that what he is given is just what he needs.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...s-do-not-work/
Well there is something about homeopathy that keeps people trying and using them or they would go away from the world. The U.S. uses the least amount of homeopathic vs the rest of the world. For a while I was on the ABC Homeopathic Forum and so many there said, it's hard to understand why the U.S. is so engrained in drugs and their toxins.

No one is trying to change the strong willed minds of some here, but there are OPTIONS to the drugs that dominate the U.S. medicine markets.

Old 10-01-2017, 11:45 AM

14,933 posts, read 12,130,043 times
Quote:

I just want to add that for women going through menopause, sepia is an excellent remedy. You don't have to believe in it or have it scientifically proven, just try it and see if it helps.
"Just try it and see if it helps"..... that's exactly what I overheard a physician (an MD/PhD) one time tell his patient who asked about the effectiveness of chondroitin sulfate/glucosamine for his arthritic joints. The physician told the patient that some people were helped by this supplement, and others didn't seem to be, but the only way to know was to try it. He also cautioned the patient to try it for long enough to see some results ( 4-6 weeks, he suggested) before he decided it didn't work.

And IMO, whether any positive results reported by people taking these supplements are due to their working as advertised, or come about from a placebo effect on the individual, isn't really known, but as long as the person feels the stuff works, for the most part there is probably no harm in taking it.

Old 10-01-2017, 12:09 PM

I've been taking the glucosamine sulfate on and off thru my adult life and now taking it daily as I believe it does help....I could be worse with my OA issues. A friend who died at 95 took it for 25 yrs and she said it kept her walking blocks to the end of her life. And she walked circles around me and what I deal with. Joint issues end up being a part of life and we all have our ways of trying to get thru it all.

Old 10-01-2017, 12:38 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,233,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I don't really care what an article says, I've read several books on the subject. I have decades of good results in my family.

In fact, we are finding more and more that as a family, we are very very sensitive to "regular" medicines and we are the ones that get the serious adverse effects. Maybe that explains why homeopathy has worked well for us.

I don't believe homeopathic remedies are all the same. I can get better results when I select the closest one for the symptoms. Does the placebo effect help? Of course! I intentionally use the power of the mind/suggestion and the placebo effect all the time.
As long as you understand that the only effect of homeopathy is the placebo effect and you are willing to pay for it, that is fine.

Quote:

I know. We have discussed the issue before. Despite your belief otherwise, you are just as susceptible to the placebo effect as everyone else. That effect, by the way, has a physiologic foundation. When it works, say for pain, it is because it activates innate systems that relieve pain.

What does sepia do? Relieve hot flashes? Those tend to get better over time anyway. Help with vaginal dryness? Can you direct us to evidence that it works better than placebo? Yes, I know this is alt med and we are not supposed to ask, but it was moved from another forum where we could ask. Putting the thread here in order to prevent us from asking is not helpful to the debate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
It's a hit and miss and YES, if one goes to a homeopathic doctor and finds their constitution and stays with that doctor for their medical advice and treatments, then it could be a positive experience. I never did that, I thought of it but just didn't want to spend the money and get all the way into homeopathy. So I try things I feel could help and mostly for the OA issues.

And yes the Calms is a good part of my sleep combo. I sleep pretty good all night, bathroom runs but at this late date, my bladder needs to be emptied out more often, plus I drink a lot of water.

Another product which is a generic homeopathic ointment for so many pain issues, and it has 11 solutions in it and I keep ordering it as it helps my joints. There are 1000's of reviews on this product....so it's helping some and it's on the higher end at about $30 a larger bottle. Oh it's Topricin. Some here take the Voltran (sp) ointment but I have not and for starters the high cost of it and having to get a rx.

My goal has been and pretty much still is, NOT to undergo the knife on the knee..
If it helps your joints why are you still having so much trouble with your joints?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Well there is something about homeopathy that keeps people trying and using them or they would go away from the world. The U.S. uses the least amount of homeopathic vs the rest of the world. For a while I was on the ABC Homeopathic Forum and so many there said, it's hard to understand why the U.S. is so engrained in drugs and their toxins.

No one is trying to change the strong willed minds of some here, but there are OPTIONS to the drugs that dominate the U.S. medicine markets.
Prescription drugs are used because there is evidence that they do what they are prescribed for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
"Just try it and see if it helps"..... that's exactly what I overheard a physician (an MD/PhD) one time tell his patient who asked about the effectiveness of chondroitin sulfate/glucosamine for his arthritic joints. The physician told the patient that some people were helped by this supplement, and others didn't seem to be, but the only way to know was to try it. He also cautioned the patient to try it for long enough to see some results ( 4-6 weeks, he suggested) before he decided it didn't work.

And IMO, whether any positive results reported by people taking these supplements are due to their working as advertised, or come about from a placebo effect on the individual, isn't really known, but as long as the person feels the stuff works, for the most part there is probably no harm in taking it.
For the most part there is no harm. If the remedy does not work, it just gets thrown away and no more is purchased.

The problem comes when homeopathy is used instead of a treatment that is proven to work. Then it can indeed cause harm.

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 10-01-2017 at 12:51 PM..

Old 10-01-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
As long as you understand that the only effect of homeopathy is the placebo effect and you are willing to pay for it, that is fine.

I know. We have discussed the issue before. Despite your belief otherwise, you are just as susceptible to the placebo effect as everyone else. That effect, by the way, has a physiologic foundation. When it works, say for pain, it is because it activates innate systems that relieve pain.

What does sepia do? Relieve hot flashes? Those tend to get better over time anyway. Help with vaginal dryness? Can you direct us to evidence that it works better than placebo? Yes, I know this is alt med and we are not supposed to ask, but it was moved from another forum where we could ask. Putting the thread here in order to prevent us from asking is not helpful to the debate.

If it helps your joints why are you still having so much trouble with your joints?

Prescription drugs are used because there is evidence that they do what they are prescribed for.

For the most part there is no harm. If the remedy does not work, it just gets thrown away and no more is purchased.

The problem comes when homeopathy is used instead of a treatment that is proven to work. Then it can indeed cause harm.
Why is not a miracle for my joints, ummmm what would be?

My joints are of 79 yrs old and have been thru a long life of use.

And the last incident and damage added more damage to the knee. The "cleaning out" may have caused more damage than good, cleaning out the good tissue that is left in the joints. That is what surgeons do: cut open and do their work.

So do your joint drugs, cure my old joints?

It's truly amazing how many attack what others "try". If there was a drug cure, I'd be on it, but there is NOT. No cures, only support in hoping damage doesn't advance more and more, which it does with aging. Aging.

Old 10-01-2017, 01:14 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,217,998 times
Suzy q, whatever works or does not for your family is fine however you should refrain from the disparaging remarks about homeopathy that works for those who know it works.
You have no idea how things affect others and to make the blanket statement that *all homeopathy is placebo* is
quite irresponsible because it is not true for everyone.

You are entitled to your opinion and know what works or not for yourself however, to profess to know for fact what the opinion of others should be and works for them is not true.
Part of your statement is true of traditional medicine and homeopathy though, if any medication or supplement is not used properly it can and does cause harm.

Old 10-01-2017, 01:27 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,233,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Suzy q, whatever works or does not for your family is fine however you should refrain from the disparaging remarks about homeopathy that works for those who know it works.
You have no idea how things affect others and to make the blanket statement that *all homeopathy is placebo* is
quite irresponsible because it is not true for everyone.

You are entitled to your opinion and know what works or not for yourself however, to profess to know for fact what the opinion of others should be and works for them is not true.
Part of your statement is true of traditional medicine and homeopathy though, if any medication or supplement is not used properly it can and does cause harm.
I have no problem with anyone using homeopathy, as long as he realizes that it is physically impossible for a classic homeopathic remedy to have anything other than a placebo effect. The dilution process eliminates every last molecule of the original substance used to produce it.

If it works for you, you have experienced the placebo effect.

Homeopathic remedies are harmless, because they are only water, unless they are used in place of known effective treatments for serious conditions.

All homeopathy is indeed placebo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine