Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 01:20 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Obviously you do have a problem because you just made the same statement as fact which it is not.
You have no idea what I have or have not experience, used or tried so please refrain from stating as fact
what you do not know about me.

Your opinion is merely that an opinion and it affects no one but you, just be aware and acknowledge you are not stating a truthful fact that applies to everyone on the planet. Bye
bylpph.
All of us can experience the placebo effect. It is real and makes you feel better.

I just follow the scientific evidence, and that tells me the only effect homeopathic remedies have is by acting as placebos. If you are willing to pay and hope that you experience the placebo effect, that is just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Well, "disparaging remarks" come from both sides, thus the debate. And, I would think that many do see that in some circumstances a doctor would be called for. I think it is more of a debate of homeopathic preparations versus much of big pharma.
There is no longer anything to debate. When compared to placebo, homeopathy is no better.

Homeopathy effective for 0 out of 68 illnesses, study finds | The Independent

Quote:
Yes, one of my son's doctors said "My mother uses it, and it works." when I told him I used homeopathic preparations for my son.
If it works, it is due to the placebo effect. Placebos can make you feel better. Homeopathy just does not work better than placebo.

Quote:
I knew it would be moved. Oh, Big Pharma can be that scared of homeopathy: 'BIG PHARMA' is secretly funding skeptic organizations to defame homeopathy With so many side effects to include death along with the expense, many people are turning to homeopathy. We turned to it after seeing our son suffer severe side effects from the poisons they prescribed.
LOL! Your link does not say what you think it does. The author's conclusion:

"I do sympathize with those poor homeopathy fans!

Paranoia is a nasty condition!

And their placebos are useless for alleviating it.

Sad – really sad."

What "poisons"? What side effects?

Quote:
Death by big pharma: Pharma Death Clock My own mother died as a side effect of a heart medication she took. She had told the doctor she didn't feel right taking it, went to the emergency room. They checked her over, doctor told her to take it she would be fine, the doctor was wrong. My brother won a legal action against the doctor as the nurses had documented everything in her records, the doctor even saying that is probably what had killed her. She was 72 years old. She was addicted to allopathic medicine, there was no way I could have helped her. : (

I couldn't find a chart for death by homeopathy.
No, you won't find such a chart, because homeopathic remedies are just water.

They can be deadly if not diluted enough, though, and the FDA has little power to regulate homeopathy.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...-families-say/

What drug did your mother take and what happened when she took it?

Quote:
They shut it down every time someone introduces it into the Great Debate area. I think maybe the "general" audience here wouldn't be "informed" enough to debate it.
It does not take much to become informed about homeopathy. Physics tells us why it cannot work.

Quote:
"Study"? You know that is kind of like a poll since "studies" turn out most of the time the way the one paying for it want it to turn out. Homeopathy works, I know it for a fact.
Yep, for some things it works just as well as a placebo does.

Quote:
Not at all. Quote all the articles you want. There is a war against homeopathy as it threatens big pharma more each day.
When the article has figures that dispute your opinion, you do not gain points in the debate by refusing to admit you are wrong.

Quote:
I've been practicing homeopathic medicine with my family for about 10 years after an incident with my son with Down syndrome and having seen the big medical machine and big pharma fail him for 20 years. We had previous to that practiced other types of alternative medicine, mostly herbal with some positive effects.

No one takes anything from big pharma at our house, 2 adults 63 years of age and our 31 year old son with Down syndrome, least I forget our 2 senior dogs. I have been really impressed with the results, the thing is those addicted to big pharma won't let it go.

Simple to understand and apply, I use a booklet "The Biochemic Handbook" with great success. I have a selection of "Luyties" preparations (St. Louis, MO Since 1853). I DO NOT like the Hyland products at all and have had no luck with them.
So Hyland products are not even as good as placebos, then, it seems. At least one of them has been deadly, in fact.

How did medicine "fail" your son?

Quote:
Well, fortunately the restrictions you are using that the person must realize something not true to begin with in order for you to approve, seriously, suzy_q, get real!
That sentence makes no sense. What I am saying is supported by research.

Quote:
While you are entitled to your opinion, it is an opinion, others are entitled to theirs. Homeopathy most often does no harm, unlike those preparations from big pharma.
Mine is not just an opinion. The research shows homeopathy is not superior to placebo.

Of course homeopathy does no harm (unless the company making the product does not dilute it enough). Hyland used belladonna in its teething product and some babies died. It's not called "deadly nightshade" for nothing.

Quote:
Everyone is responsible for their own health and what they put in their bodies. We are making an informed choice with homeopathics. Odd isn't it that those using homeopathics seem to be healthier than those using big pharma preparations.
Any support for that statement? No one in my family uses homeopathy and we are all healthy.

Quote:
Please make sure you read those exhaustive side effect sheets the pharmacist passes out, and let me let you in on a secret I learned the hard way, "NOT ALL SIDE EFFECTS ARE DISCLOSED".
The package insert is a legal document. It will disclose side effects that were identified during research performed by the company. if serious adverse events happen post-marketing those will be added to the product info.

What is the "secret" that was withheld from you?

Quote:
https://www.britishhomeopathic.org/e...meopathy-work/ This is an excellent article. Europeans use homeopathics and other types of alternative medicine more than Americans. Obviously, big pharma does a good job of selling itself. Television commercials and magazine ads trying to get people to ask their doctors for certain prescription medications, even for their pets.
I dislike direct to consumer advertising, too.

Your "article" is only a few paragraphs. It mentions the "memory" of water. How is it that water "remembers" only the substance the homeopath added to it and not every other substance that it ever contained?

Quote:
I have always wondered why some get so angry over someone else using homeopathy. All the freaky stuff that people put in their bodies that do harm and homeopathic preparations bring a much more hateful response.
Anyone who disagrees with you is being "hateful"?

I am not angry. I just follow the evidence that homeopathy is no better than placebo. Since the placebo effect does not kick in every time you take something - whether it is a homeopathic remedy or a prescription medication - you are bound to find that homeopathy "works" sometimes and sometimes it doesn;t. It is no more likely to "work" than placebo.

[/quote]For menopause hot flashes, I highly recommend natural estrogen, OATMEAL. Not the sugary kind, but REAL oatmeal every morning. Also, cut sugar to nothing or almost nothing.

At 63 years of age, I have seen a doctor twice in this century, once for an eye issue which turned out to be something that could not be "fixed" and for a required physical.

There are certainly conditions that require allopathic medicine, pharmaceutical medications, etc. but not every little sniffle, rash or cold. No flu shots ever. I had rubella, mumps, measles, chicken pox, etc. as a child. Also the Hong Kong flu when I was in high school. Sadly, I watch as the younger population continues to become totally dependent on pharmaceuticals to manage their lives, not just illnesses, their entire lives.

Homeopathy works. Not the placebo effect in the case of my son with Down syndrome who functions at the level of a pre-schooler. We most often use the homeopathic medications for him as he suffered severe side effects from other medications.

I wonder what it is that scares some people when it comes to homeopathy that they become so aggressive. Perhaps it is a side effect of one of their "prescriptions" from big pharma, the side effects can be devastating![/quote]

Children can experience the placebo effect, too. They are perhaps even more susceptible. Have you never fixed a boo-boo with a kiss and a band-aid?

I am not "scared" of homeopathy. It is just water, after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I don't have to realize anything. I'm educated and experienced in this area. You look for online articles that mock it.

Just because they are made differently than prescription medicines doesn't mean they don't have a healing effect on the body.
Sure they have an effect: the placebo effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
Homeopathy is much more popular in other parts of the world.
That does not make it better than placebo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
People who criticize homeopathy, don't understand the concept of the Law of Similars or comprehend vibrational medicine.

According to theories of vibration, they cannot grasp it because they are simply not on the frequency - so it's pointless to argue with them.

Let them discover it themselves (or not) for one of their own maladies . . .
Homeopaths have had to invent their own theory of quantum physics to try to show their remedies are better than placebo.

The "Law of Similars" was invented in the eighteenth century. Science has come a long way since then, and it shows us that when compared head to head with placebo it works no better than placebo.

Theories about "vibrations" are, sorry, just poppycock. Ask any quantum physicist.

https://drjengunter.wordpress.com/20...in-homeopathy/

"Invoking mysterious 'quantum' effects, without any proof of their existence and ignoring the colossal body of scientific evidence against homeopathic effects, is simply not good science. The sceptical and inquiring mind must be satisfied at some point, that they simply will not fit in with established scientific knowledge."

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I know what you mean about your family also getting serious side effects from pharmaceuticals. My daughter almost died from a huge blood clot after taking birth control pills the first time. This is a terrifying side effect that young women are not informed about at the clinics who pass them out like candy. But the anti-homeopathic folks don't care at all about patients having side effects and nearly dying from their medicines.

My husband and I are 59 and in great health, we don't need any prescriptions and hope to stay that way.
I believe I have pointed out to you before that every single pack of birth control pills sold in this country contains a warning about blood clots and has done so since I took them in the 1970s and 1980s. The only way not to know about the risk is to not read the patient info.

See page 3:

http://labeling.pfizer.com/showlabeling.aspx?id=462

"RISKS OF TAKING ORAL CONTRACEPTIVES
1. Risk of developing blood clots
Blood clots and blockage of blood vessels are the most serious side effects of taking oral
contraceptives and can cause death or serious disability."

Of course doctors care about side effects. The neat thing is that most people do not have serious side effects from prescription drugs, including birth control pills.

Old 10-02-2017, 01:43 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,735,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
"Just try it and see if it helps"..... that's exactly what I overheard a physician (an MD/PhD) one time tell his patient who asked about the effectiveness of chondroitin sulfate/glucosamine for his arthritic joints. The physician told the patient that some people were helped by this supplement, and others didn't seem to be, but the only way to know was to try it. He also cautioned the patient to try it for long enough to see some results ( 4-6 weeks, he suggested) before he decided it didn't work.

And IMO, whether any positive results reported by people taking these supplements are due to their working as advertised, or come about from a placebo effect on the individual, isn't really known, but as long as the person feels the stuff works, for the most part there is probably no harm in taking it.
A chondroitin sulfate/glucosamine supplement isn't homeopathy and evidence exists that it can help with certain condition.

Old 10-02-2017, 01:48 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,646,935 times
It's very interesting that the TOS is completely ignored in the "Alternative Health" thread. People constantly putting down holistic methods and asking for "scientific" studies - scoffing at those who are interested in holistic methods of healing. Ridiculing - I wonder why this is tolerated.

On the "placebo effect" - in mind/body schools of thought, the effect of positive thinking is considered a good thing . . . whatever causes one to heal is a good thing, but for those who oppose holistic methods of healing, any healing outside of mainstream medicine is attributed to the "placebo effect" with no apparent understanding that whatever has caused the healing is a good thing . . . it's the reductionist approach to marginalize all that does not conform to mainstream thinking.

SuzyQ's comment to "ask any quantum physicist" about vibrational/energy medicine is ironic, given her penchant to ask for studies and proof . . . okay, SuzyQ - are you saying you know EVERY quantum physicist, or is your dismissive remark just your "anecdotal evidence," intended to quash the discussion and marginalize the fields of vibrational/energy medicine and study?

Old 10-02-2017, 02:06 PM

14,933 posts, read 12,132,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
A chondroitin sulfate/glucosamine supplement isn't homeopathy and evidence exists that it can help with certain condition.
Guess I was confusing supplements with homeopathic remedies. As in lumping it all under a broad "alt medicine"umbrella.

I took chondroitin sulfate/glucosamine for a while when I was nursing a torn meniscus and really didn't want surgery on it, and I think it did help that, as well as perhaps other "old lady" joint issues. I have some around, might try it again.

Must read more about what homeopathy actually is.

Old 10-02-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
It's very interesting that the TOS is completely ignored in the "Alternative Health" thread. People constantly putting down holistic methods and asking for "scientific" studies - scoffing at those who are interested in holistic methods of healing. Ridiculing - I wonder why this is tolerated.

On the "placebo effect" - in mind/body schools of thought, the effect of positive thinking is considered a good thing . . . whatever causes one to heal is a good thing, but for those who oppose holistic methods of healing, any healing outside of mainstream medicine is attributed to the "placebo effect" with no apparent understanding that whatever has caused the healing is a good thing . . . it's the reductionist approach to marginalize all that does not conform to mainstream thinking.

SuzyQ's comment to "ask any quantum physicist" about vibrational/energy medicine is ironic, given her penchant to ask for studies and proof . . . okay, SuzyQ - are you saying you know EVERY quantum physicist, or is your dismissive remark just your "anecdotal evidence," intended to quash the discussion and marginalize the fields of vibrational/energy medicine and study?
Are you saying the placebo effect is not a good thing? Because I don't recall anyone casting any negative aspersions on the body's ability to heal itself, regardless of how that occurs.

Old 10-02-2017, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Prescription drugs are used because there is evidence that they do what they are prescribed for.
And most come with a long and sometimes painful list of side effects.

Old 10-02-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
And most come with a long and sometimes painful list of side effects.
They do come with a list of side effects to make people aware of the possibility of side effects, but most people who take those prescription drugs suffer either none, or only temporary side effects.

That supplements and other "homeopathic" substances do not come with warnings doesn't mean that such side effects are not possible with these substances.

Old 10-02-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Guess I was confusing supplements with homeopathic remedies. As in lumping it all under a broad "alt medicine"umbrella.

I took chondroitin sulfate/glucosamine for a while when I was nursing a torn meniscus and really didn't want surgery on it, and I think it did help that, as well as perhaps other "old lady" joint issues. I have some around, might try it again.

Must read more about what homeopathy actually is.
Ok, and now that I have read a little more about homeopathy, all I can say is Jaysus!!!!!!!!

Old 10-02-2017, 02:39 PM

Quote:
They do come with a list of side effects to make people aware of the possibility of side effects, but most people who take those prescription drugs suffer either none, or only temporary side effects.

That supplements and other "homeopathic" substances do not come with warnings doesn't mean that such side effects are not possible with these substances.
Many suffer side effects from prescriptions drugs and sometimes the side effect is worse then the drug is was meant to treat.

Homeopathic treatments don't have side effects. Supplements can so people need to make sure they are aware when taking them.

Old 10-02-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Ok, and now that I have read a little more about homeopathy, all I can say is Jaysus!!!!!!!!

13 minutes of research at most?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine