Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 01:24 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,470,410 times

Advertisements

I was going to say more or less the same thing. Given your views, it's safe to say you will encounter more "issues" like this as an RN. The flu vaccine would just be the beginning. You will have to make a choice as to what is more important, your ethics or your pocketbook. I disagree with many aspects of the medical industry and just how corrupt it has become. That's not to say it doesn't have it's merits. It goes both ways.

I've gotten the flu vaccine in past years and last year I missed it. I didn't get sick either way. I know this last flu season which was particularly bad, I heard more than once that it only helped 10% of the time. Doesn't seem like it would even be worth it. I know that I went out of my way to avoid being around sick people. It was difficult, given that everybody around me was sick but I managed to pull through it.

Old 08-15-2018, 04:16 PM

11 posts, read 5,149 times
On the contrary,

I do not know how people can practice medicine and help others without emotion. In fact, sadly, I find there is a great emotional deficit in patient care today. It takes compassion and empathy to hear beyond words. I want to really listen to people. My chosen avenue is alternative; it will require emotion as well as education and science.
The other thing I will say is that my "emotional" plea for advice is towards fellow practitioners...my emotional interactions with patients would be rather different.

As far as science goes, I have studied it quite extensively; though admittedly, I still have a lot to learn. The "science" is what convinces me that the flu shot is not the magical barrier that it is perceived to be and the "science" behind the ingredients escapes me. As I said, I have spent hours researching...going to the vaccine makers websites, pulling from their own admissions, making phone calls, as well as pulling from the experiences of people who have suffered from the side effects. Vaccine side-effects are woefully underreported and likely occur more often than we realize. However, I do not believe an overwhelming amount of people suffer life-altering side effects, but some do; that is fact...not emotion.

Last edited by Lizziepuckett; 08-15-2018 at 05:08 PM..

Old 08-15-2018, 09:02 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizziepuckett View Post
On the contrary,

I do not know how people can practice medicine and help others without emotion. In fact, sadly, I find there is a great emotional deficit in patient care today. It takes compassion and empathy to hear beyond words. I want to really listen to people. My chosen avenue is alternative; it will require emotion as well as education and science.
The other thing I will say is that my "emotional" plea for advice is towards fellow practitioners...my emotional interactions with patients would be rather different.

As far as science goes, I have studied it quite extensively; though admittedly, I still have a lot to learn. The "science" is what convinces me that the flu shot is not the magical barrier that it is perceived to be and the "science" behind the ingredients escapes me. As I said, I have spent hours researching...going to the vaccine makers websites, pulling from their own admissions, making phone calls, as well as pulling from the experiences of people who have suffered from the side effects. Vaccine side-effects are woefully underreported and likely occur more often than we realize. However, I do not believe an overwhelming amount of people suffer life-altering side effects, but some do; that is fact...not emotion.
People suffer life altering effects from peanuts. Are you going to avoid them too? Shellfish? My life is altered by an immune system attacks my body, should we all be anti-immune system?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-15-2018, 10:01 PM

23,270 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizziepuckett View Post
On the contrary,

What does emotion have to do with it? Were you trying to suggest that alternative practitioners are tuned in to and make use of their emotions and mainstream practitioners don't? That's just not true. Anyone who chooses to base their practice on medical fact doesn't automatically leave their emotions behind. Devotion, altruism, a vocation, a calling would be pretty difficult to have without emotion. I thought back to the mainstream practitioners I happened to use over the years. Several I ended up knowing outside the office because we lived in very small communities. Can't think of one who didn't demonstrate an emotional aspect to their patients; sympathy, empathy, compassion, joy, all of them. Fact doesn't preclude emotion at all. Emotion doesn't reject fact. Now if you were talking about some medical researcher who doesn't deal directly with patients, that detachment and impartiality could be a good thing to have. IMHO a truly-gifted practitioner knows where emotion and detachment belong and how to apply both for the benefit of their patients.

Last edited by Parnassia; 08-15-2018 at 10:19 PM..

Old 08-16-2018, 06:47 AM

7,249 posts, read 5,119,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
What does emotion have to do with it? .

There's a difference between being passionate about your avocation or having compassion when practicing it vs the highly charge emotions of the anti-technology bunch.

The OP seems to have had the typical emotional response of outrage toward some technology due to experiencing insecurity engendered by ignorance. We see it all the time: GMO, pesticides, immunizations etc etc. Those are each topics which have very little, if any, credible evidence against them, yet they each have their groups of outraged opponents. And isn't it amazing how often those groups are comprised of the same individuals?

I's not the evidence, it's the thought process.

Old 08-16-2018, 10:45 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times
OP: We could use more compassionate healers in our world.

Thinking about the surgeon I had for hip replacement in 2010, he was a cold as ice and if I had run from him maybe I would not be living with all the surgery complications I deal with now. If his personality has anything to do with the work he did on me.

I understand your dilemma about the vaccine and personally I don't get them...and just wonder if the integrative MD's I've been seeing for years get them. They are very alternative healers.

You will find your way to what you believe.

Old 08-16-2018, 11:05 AM

7,249 posts, read 5,119,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
OP:

…. if I had run from him....

If you could've run from him, you wouldn't have needed the surgery

Old joke: A psychiatrist walks into the doctors' lounge at the hospital and sees a surgeon sitting with head in hands, looking quite distraught and muttering "No.. oh, no... no.."
"What's wrong Joe?" asks the shrink. "I feel sooo bad. Today I had to actually talk to a patient!" answers the surgeon. "I know just how you feel," commiserated the shrink. " Yesterday I had to touch one."

Old 08-16-2018, 12:24 PM

I will say this OP, I commend you on your outlook and attitude but I will also say that could change after years of working in a hospital. It can be stressful and living with that day after day could change you. This could explain why some hospital staff become irate and impersonal or "cold as ice" as Jam would say. Some doctors/nurses have a terrible bedside manner right from the beginning and they never improve.

My sister is an RN but only worked in a hospital for a short while. She could not handle the long work hours I would assume. I imagine it can take it's toll pretty quickly. She specialized in pediatrics. It's been a long time and I don't remember the details about it. She then worked as a school nurse for many years. She finally got tired of that, having to deal with bad parents and spoiled kids, that sort of thing. She now works for an insurance company as a case manager, checking in on patients and seems to be happy doing that. It's much less stressful and she actually works from home.

Old 08-16-2018, 12:44 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I will say this OP, I commend you on your outlook and attitude but I will also say that could change after years of working in a hospital. It can be stressful and living with that day after day could change you. This could explain why some hospital staff become irate and impersonal or "cold as ice" as Jam would say. Some doctors/nurses have a terrible bedside manner right from the beginning and they never improve.

My sister is an RN but only worked in a hospital for a short while. She could not handle the long work hours I would assume. I imagine it can take it's toll pretty quickly. She specialized in pediatrics. It's been a long time and I don't remember the details about it. She then worked as a school nurse for many years. She finally got tired of that, having to deal with bad parents and spoiled kids, that sort of thing. She now works for an insurance company as a case manager, checking in on patients and seems to be happy doing that. It's much less stressful and she actually works from home.
Could be OP is not looking to work in hospitals. More and more integrative MD offices/clinics are coming on stream as are D.O. practices. Here in CA anyway.

Old 08-16-2018, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Could be OP is not looking to work in hospitals. More and more integrative MD offices/clinics are coming on stream as are D.O. practices. Here in CA anyway.
I see that now. I misunderstood. Her issue apparently is getting into an alternative school. Not real sure what that is but is that the only choice?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine