Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 06:20 PM

14,935 posts, read 12,132,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Even if you got your license, most hospitals require that everyone who works there get a flu shot. Do you have to do a practicum before you can be independently licensed>

IIRC my daughter, who's worked in hospitals, and in large clinic settings, said the employees had a choice of either getting the flu shot, or spending their entire working hours wearing a mask during the flu season.

Old 08-18-2018, 08:30 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,470,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Whatever you want to believe is fine with me. Plenty of people who are not allergic to eggs get a day or two of headaches, muscle aches, and fatigue after a flu vaccination. It is not an allergic reaction to eggs.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20372115
Hey Suzy, I agree with you on this one. Flu symptoms from flu vaccine are not an allergy. They are not allergy symptoms, they are mild flu symptoms. I get (free) flu shots at work. I do not get symptoms but some of my co-workers do. Same flu shot.

Old 08-18-2018, 09:22 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
IIRC my daughter, who's worked in hospitals, and in large clinic settings, said the employees had a choice of either getting the flu shot, or spending their entire working hours wearing a mask during the flu season.
Every place of employment has their own policy. My last workplace, a doctor's office, did not have a policy at all, but all the doctors and nurses got the shot, and some of the clerical staff did. We didn't make them wear masks, either. That would have been funny, really, for the front desk staff to greet patients with a mask on.

Old 08-18-2018, 10:19 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times
When did this work place flu vaccine come into being? I worked 40 yrs and no place that I worked had such a regulation.

Old 08-18-2018, 10:29 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,470,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
When did this work place flu vaccine come into being? I worked 40 yrs and no place that I worked had such a regulation.
It's voluntary at my place of work.

Old 08-18-2018, 11:46 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
It's mostly at hospitals and other health care providers' facilities. My DD works for the U of MN and it's required for the people in the medical fields.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
It's voluntary at my place of work.
I've read that voluntary doesn't work well; that about the best compliance you get is around 60%. You really need more than that for community immunity. As I said, at my office (a pediatric practice) all the doctors and nurses (except one who had a medical exemption) got it; many of the other staff did not.

Old 08-18-2018, 11:50 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
Flumist coming back this year.

Consider it.

Old 08-19-2018, 09:05 AM

11 posts, read 5,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
And you'll never be happy or content with yourself if you do. I so admire you for having them and fighting to hold on to them. People willing to fight for what they strongly believe in are alarmingly rare today. For that matter, people who strongly believe in anything are the exception and not the rule.

The medical establishment today is as corrupt as they come. As others have mentioned, the vaccine issue is just the tip of the iceberg. There would be no end to compromise on principle and ethics if you were to forge ahead with a plan to be part of it as a lifetime occupation. And it is nothing short of tragic that that is the case.

I wish you great success in whatever path you choose. I have a feeling, whatever that path is, that you'll be the best at what you do.
Thank you so much for the kind words and encouragement CrownVic...This forum has helped to some degree. I know what I want to do and the kind of medicine I want to be able to offer to people...its just getting there that is causing the internal conflict. You make a good point that there would be no end to compromise on principle and ethics. SO MUCH to consider!

Old 08-19-2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:

The law was passed within the last couple or few years...it is very recent. And it does differ from workplace to workplace...My particular conundrum is that it is required for school...

Old 08-19-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The "effects" are not symptoms of an allergy, and the "effects" also happen with the flu vaccine not produced with eggs.

It is not necessary to get the "effects" for the vaccine to work. Some people get them; some do not.

Flublok is made without using eggs:

https://www.fda.gov/downloads/biolog.../ucm524684.pdf

" In adults 18 through 49 years of age, the most common (≥10%) injection-site reactions were tenderness (48%) and pain (37%); the most common (≥10%) solicited systemic adverse reactions were headache (20%), fatigue (17%), myalgia [muscle aches] (13%) and arthralgia [joint pain](10%). (6.1)
 In adults 50 years of age and older, the most common (≥10%) injection site reactions were tenderness (34%) and pain (19%); the most common (≥10%) solicited systemic adverse reactions were headache (13%) and fatigue 12%). (6.1)"

So 80% to 90% do not get the fatigue and aches and pains.

Allergies cause rashes, usually hives, and if severe can proceed to anaphylaxis with trouble breathing, shock, and sometimes death if not treated quickly.
The "effects" are your body's way of fighting off what was put into it. and to really understand flu vaccines, the ingredients need to be well considered...

Influenza: Vaccine Name: Fluarix produced by GlaxoSmithKline
Produced using Formaldehyde, Gentamicin Sulfate, Latex, Polysorbate 80, Thimerosal, Ovalbumin (egg), Egg protein, Influenza A virus hemagglutinin, Influenza B virus hemagglutinin, Octoxynol-10, alpha-tocopheryl, Hydrogen succinate, Hydrocortisone, Sodium deoxycholate.

Influenza is acquired through contact with discharges or droplets from the nose or throat of an infected person. It can also be the result of contact with mucosal discharge found in stomach excretions.
Adverse Effects: Guillain-Barre syndrome, asthma, Bell’s palsy, impetigo, dermatitis, uncomplicated diabetes mellitus, ureteral disorder, etc. Review the evidence documented for potential consequences that can result from receiving flu shots. Evaluate the risks for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine