Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 01:31 PM

3,075 posts, read 1,542,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizziepuckett View Post
Hello,

My name is Lizzie and I need some advice. I have worked in the medical field most of my life and in 2015, graduated as a CMA (AAMA). I knew it would not be enough education and have since then been looking at pursuing my RN. During my CMA life, I have worked both in the Naturopathic and the conventional medicine arena's.
I found an alternative school near me that has a 2 year RN program...however, after passing the NET and multiple phone calls with the dean of admissions, have found out that, even though they are holistic in nature, there is no way for me to go through the program without getting the flu shot. I even asked if I found a location that would be willing to agree to allow me to do my clinicals without requiring the flu shot, if that would be sufficient and it was not.
After hours and hours of research and "publishing" some articles on the subject of vaccines over the last few years, I am very strongly against the flu vaccine. There are many reasons I am so resolute on the matter, not the least of which is, most obviously, the ingredients. I grew up getting the yearly vaccine, but have not had one in 15 years. During the years I received it, I never had more than the "normal" side effects (i.e. fatigue, sore muscles, perhaps a fever), so there is no historical evidence to suppose I would be subject to any life-altering side effects...but I am afraid, as I have been having reactions to things that I never have before as I have been cleaning up my diet and taking supplements.

I am ethically against it as well, but I am nervous that getting it would put me in harms way. I am so upset that laws were passed that infringe on my personal rights and on my body and that block my right to education that would eventually allow me to help other people.

Since realizing that going for my RN would not be likely without compromising on my strongly held beliefs, I have been looking for ways around it to be able to get licensing that would allow me to treat patients. I have been considering a Doctor of Naturopathy which is only remotely recognized and may, at any time, be revoked; another reason why I wanted my RN, to have something to fall back on should the laws change.

I don't know what to do...I know that ultimately it will be my decision, but I need input from fellow practitioners as my own family are staunch supporters of the vaccine and do not understand my hesitation.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks and blessings to you!
OP, are you allergic to eggs? Ever have body aches etc after having the flu shot? My daughter works in a hospital as an msw and is required to have a flu shot. She is allergic to eggs. One of the nurses told her to demand a flu shot where the vaccine was not grown inneggs. It exists and the hospital can supply it. My daughter did, the hospital gave it to her and many of the prior problems vanished with a different flu vaccine. There is also another ingredient in the vaccine that can produce short term and long term side effects. I wish I could remember what that ingredient is but if you do some research online you can probably find the answer. I believe you can get the vaccine without the ingredient.
Nursing is tough esp in todays world. Burnout is common. Did you ever think of becoming a certified chiropracter or acupuncturist? Dr of chiropractery is a tough course. Include animals like horses and dogs in your learning, do it well, and you can make a good income without so much stress.

Old 08-16-2018, 05:18 PM

8,227 posts, read 3,417,998 times
I am not a medical practitioner, but I happen to have read a lot about vaccines, including just recently. In general, I get interested in things where the mainstream experts have a very strong opinion, and they don't allow any dissent.

The vaccine issue is another pretty amazing example of the group thinking that goes on.

Twenty years ago Andrew Wakefield noticed that children who became autistic after an MMR vaccine all had intestinal problems. Intestinal bacteria are important for the functioning of the immune system and the brain. So the idea was that the vaccine might disrupt the intestinal bacteria somehow in some children.

Wakefield was despised and lost his MD license, for daring to say vaccines might sometimes be connected to autism.

Now, recent research is showing that YES, autism is related to the intestinal bacteria being somehow disrupted. Although, of course, they can't say it's ever caused by vaccines.

I know you weren't asking about autism. I am mentioning this because the vaccine proponents are extremely emotional and they have completely dominated the controversy. There is hardly any controversy left.

Vaccines, and the drug companies, have won. Yes, some vaccines are needed. But not all the ones they are now giving. And not all the ingredients are safe.

Vaccines need to be studied and the pro-vaccine mania needs to be questioned.

Old 08-17-2018, 04:32 AM

11 posts, read 5,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
OP, are you allergic to eggs? Ever have body aches etc after having the flu shot? My daughter works in a hospital as an msw and is required to have a flu shot. She is allergic to eggs. One of the nurses told her to demand a flu shot where the vaccine was not grown inneggs. It exists and the hospital can supply it. My daughter did, the hospital gave it to her and many of the prior problems vanished with a different flu vaccine. There is also another ingredient in the vaccine that can produce short term and long term side effects. I wish I could remember what that ingredient is but if you do some research online you can probably find the answer. I believe you can get the vaccine without the ingredient.
Nursing is tough esp in todays world. Burnout is common. Did you ever think of becoming a certified chiropracter or acupuncturist? Dr of chiropractery is a tough course. Include animals like horses and dogs in your learning, do it well, and you can make a good income without so much stress.

Thank you so much for your input! I am not allergic to eggs...but have had the "normal" side effects after vaccination in the past (i.e. aches, fever, fatigue, soreness) - all the common signs of your body trying to fight off what was just put into it. I have not looked at the eggless vaccine, as many of the other ingredients are the same - I have an RN friend that took the eggless vaccine last year and become ill.
I am considering many alternative vocations as what I have been intending to do most of my adult life does not seem to be an option unless I cave on my convictions.

Old 08-17-2018, 04:34 AM

11 posts, read 5,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
I am not a medical practitioner, but I happen to have read a lot about vaccines, including just recently. In general, I get interested in things where the mainstream experts have a very strong opinion, and they don't allow any dissent.

The vaccine issue is another pretty amazing example of the group thinking that goes on.

Twenty years ago Andrew Wakefield noticed that children who became autistic after an MMR vaccine all had intestinal problems. Intestinal bacteria are important for the functioning of the immune system and the brain. So the idea was that the vaccine might disrupt the intestinal bacteria somehow in some children.

Wakefield was despised and lost his MD license, for daring to say vaccines might sometimes be connected to autism.

Now, recent research is showing that YES, autism is related to the intestinal bacteria being somehow disrupted. Although, of course, they can't say it's ever caused by vaccines.

I know you weren't asking about autism. I am mentioning this because the vaccine proponents are extremely emotional and they have completely dominated the controversy. There is hardly any controversy left.

Vaccines, and the drug companies, have won. Yes, some vaccines are needed. But not all the ones they are now giving. And not all the ingredients are safe.

Vaccines need to be studied and the pro-vaccine mania needs to be questioned.

I completely agree with you. I know there are others in the medical and civilian fields who have done significant research into the subject and have formed similar conclusions - but it often gets lonely. As you said, the pro-vaccine side is very loud and dominating.
I always encourage people to do their own research and form their own conclusions and if they need help understanding something, to reach out to someone in the medical field that can help them understand it. But I have found, in my research, that even the science can be understood to some degree.

Old 08-17-2018, 04:57 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,714,064 times
Quote:
Thank you so much for your input! I am not allergic to eggs...but have had the "normal" side effects after vaccination in the past (i.e. aches, fever, fatigue, soreness) - all the common signs of your body trying to fight off what was just put into it. I have not looked at the eggless vaccine, as many of the other ingredients are the same - I have an RN friend that took the eggless vaccine last year and become ill.
I am considering many alternative vocations as what I have been intending to do most of my adult life does not seem to be an option unless I cave on my convictions.
And you'll never be happy or content with yourself if you do. I so admire you for having them and fighting to hold on to them. People willing to fight for what they strongly believe in are alarmingly rare today. For that matter, people who strongly believe in anything are the exception and not the rule.

The medical establishment today is as corrupt as they come. As others have mentioned, the vaccine issue is just the tip of the iceberg. There would be no end to compromise on principle and ethics if you were to forge ahead with a plan to be part of it as a lifetime occupation. And it is nothing short of tragic that that is the case.

I wish you great success in whatever path you choose. I have a feeling, whatever that path is, that you'll be the best at what you do.

Old 08-17-2018, 07:22 AM

7,247 posts, read 5,119,840 times
Quote:
...but have had the "normal" side effects after vaccination in the past (i.e. aches, fever, fatigue, soreness) - all the common signs of your body trying to fight off what was just put into it. .

The symptoms you list are the symptoms related to activating your immune system when challenged by the immunization shot. When the immune system is activated, it makes Interferon. Interferon raises your temp, causes muscle aches & stuffy nose. People being treated with Interferon for viral hepatitis experience all those symptoms routinely after the shot. People infected with viruses experience all those symptoms.

Those are not "side effects," they are "effects." Subtle difference.

[For the record, I think routine flu shots are a boondoggle perpetuated by the profit motive. OTOH- nurses who have prolonged, close contact with debilitated patients probably ought to get them. How are your "convictions" going to feel when unimmunized you pass the flu on to a debilitated patient who then dies from it?]

In regards alternative medicine-- my POV (if anyone cares):

"Build a better mousetrap and the world will beat a path to your door."-- Aesop, or maybe Ben Franklin,..or was it Yogi Berra?? …

Well, anyways-- when a good idea comes along, and it has some body of evidence to recommend it, it will eventually be picked up and become part of the mainstream...If it can't be defended by legitimate research studies, then it remains part of "alternative practice"-- ie-- crack pot ideas and superstitious coincidences. Verbum sapienti…

ps/ A scientist is not allowed the luxury of "convictions." A scientist forms opinions based on analysis of facts and his opinions readily change if new, conflicting data appears.

Old 08-17-2018, 09:00 AM

3,075 posts, read 1,542,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
The symptoms you list are the symptoms related to activating your immune system when challenged by the immunization shot. When the immune system is activated, it makes Interferon. Interferon raises your temp, causes muscle aches & stuffy nose. People being treated with Interferon for viral hepatitis experience all those symptoms routinely after the shot. People infected with viruses experience all those symptoms.

Those are not "side effects," they are "effects." Subtle difference.

[For the record, I think routine flu shots are a boondoggle perpetuated by the profit motive. OTOH- nurses who have prolonged, close contact with debilitated patients probably ought to get them. How are your "convictions" going to feel when unimmunized you pass the flu on to a debilitated patient who then dies from it?]

In regards alternative medicine-- my POV (if anyone cares):

"Build a better mousetrap and the world will beat a path to your door."-- Aesop, or maybe Ben Franklin,..or was it Yogi Berra?? …

Well, anyways-- when a good idea comes along, and it has some body of evidence to recommend it, it will eventually be picked up and become part of the mainstream...If it can't be defended by legitimate research studies, then it remains part of "alternative practice"-- ie-- crack pot ideas and superstitious coincidences. Verbum sapienti…

ps/ A scientist is not allowed the luxury of "convictions." A scientist forms opinions based on analysis of facts and his opinions readily change if new, conflicting data appears.
If you are allergic to eggs and you receive a vaccine grown in eggs, those “effects” of fever, muscle aches etc tend to appear. If you receive a vaccine not grown in eggs ,those “effects” dont appear.
As far as your opinion regarding alternative medicine, Im sorry but I dont know which side you are on.

Old 08-17-2018, 09:08 AM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
If you are allergic to eggs and you receive a vaccine grown in eggs, those “effects” of fever, muscle aches etc tend to appear. If you receive a vaccine not grown in eggs ,those “effects” dont appear.
As far as your opinion regarding alternative medicine, Im sorry but I dont know which side you are on.
The "effects" have nothing to do with eggs. As guido said, they are part of the immune response to the vaccine. They are the same (though milder) symptoms you would have with an actual infection and also happen with vaccines not produced in eggs, such as Flublok, for which headache, fatigue, and muscle aches are the most common side effects.

Old 08-17-2018, 10:28 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times
As I see it, it's the OP's convictions and not about eggs but about vaccines period. Years ago I worked in a school and the two children not vaccinated were the healthiest boys on the campus. Told me something way back then. Their parents were chiropractors. The students of medical doctors, were sadly drugged. I've told this story...but here I've digressed...

Old 08-17-2018, 10:51 AM

8,227 posts, read 3,417,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
As I see it, it's the OP's convictions and not about eggs but about vaccines period. Years ago I worked in a school and the two children not vaccinated were the healthiest boys on the campus. Told me something way back then. Their parents were chiropractors. The students of medical doctors, were sadly drugged. I've told this story...but here I've digressed...
It is tragic how children are being drugged now. Sometimes just because they can't sit still for hours on end.

And vaccines definitely need to be studied. It may only be a minority of children who are vulnerable because of intestinal bacteria problems. But now the microbiome is finally being researched by mainstream medical science (after alternative medical practitioners had known about it for decades!) Now, if only the pro-vaccine hysteria could die down, maybe the vaccine - microbiome connection could be studied.

Then maybe these children could be screened and protected from the terrible isolation and disability of autism.

But other vaccine problems should be studied also. Intestinal bacteria have only been acknowledged and studied relatively recently. It is an enormous field to be explored. How vaccines, antibiotics, and whatever else, interact with these bacteria will hopefully be better understood in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine