Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 07:10 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times

Advertisements

Uh, yeah - in the Charaka Samhita, it says you should do special cleaning rituals in your nose once a year, when there aren't any clouds in the sky.

For your teeth, you should rub them with tree branches (because toothbrushes weren't invented yet) that are tart, spicy, and bitter in taste. You take a small branch and crush it to soften it (similarly to another method of chewing on a natural licorice root for the exact same purpose). You make sure it doesn't hurt your gums, do it in the morning -before- food, and again after dinner (sounds a lot to me like "brush your teeth twice a day" to me).

For the mouth in general, there are certain leaves that it recommends that you chew.

It is an important ancient work of - equally ancient medical information, that touches primarily on perception and karma, and not so much on physiology. It gets in depth into the relationship between patient and physician, patient and nurse, nurse and physician, and patient and himself. If you want to know about surgery, you would not go to this book. You'd go to the Sashruta Samhita instead, which goes into detail at great length, because its focus is on war-time medicine.

There are other texts of Ayurvedic medicine, written at different times by different people, or groups of people, and almost all of them are in poetic verse - meaning, they are not written as literal instructions. Actual ayurvedic physicians understand this. Deepak Chopra, for instance - is an ayurvedic practitioner, AND a licensed medical doctor. Hint: Chopra doesn't make a habit of sluicing oil through his teeth. He brushes them - just like his ancestors do, though with an actual toothbrush, since, y'know, someone finally got around to inventing them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 07:21 AM

19,697 posts, read 20,229,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Uh, yeah - in the Charaka Samhita, it says you should do special cleaning rituals in your nose once a year, when there aren't any clouds in the sky.

Like use a neti pot? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
There are other texts of Ayurvedic medicine, written at different times by different people, or groups of people, and almost all of them are in poetic verse - meaning, they are not written as literal instructions. Actual ayurvedic physicians understand this. Deepak Chopra, for instance - is an ayurvedic practitioner, AND a licensed medical doctor. Hint: Chopra doesn't make a habit of sluicing oil through his teeth. He brushes them - just like his ancestors do, though with an actual toothbrush, since, y'know, someone finally got around to inventing them.
Ideas evolve. That's all I was sayin.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:41 AM

6,932 posts, read 6,866,775 times
Quote:
Being ancient doesn't mean they work. If they worked, they would never have fell out of favor.
Not so. Chinese have been using herbal medicine for many many years and witches and wise-women and medicine men have been using herbs and potions for a long time. In some places this is still the only medicine available. It is the medical authorities and i nsurance companies which have outlawed these cheaper types of healing for the mass population. NOT because they do not work, but because there is no money to be made if people can cure themselves of common colds etc by eating plants which grow in the wild for free. I am not saying that herbs will cure all conditions (so keep your hair on), but I am saying that what you say above is not true.

Quote:
The above sounds like another one of those alt meds "cure-alls" to me
We really dont know what experience you have had of alternate medicine. You obviously do not believe in cure-alls and I do not think this is being claimed for oil pulling either. There are some practices which are not accepted by modern medicine, in spite of circumstancial evidence that they work. Some of these also work as well as or better than some of the orthodox treatments and with fewer side effects. As I am sure you are aware, many medicines are created by using some of the constituent chemicals of plant cures, however, often they do not work as effectively and as gently as the original plant medicine. I really do not see why all this anger is aimed at something which helps some people. Not all, but some.

None of us really understand the relationship between body and disease, but orthodox medicine likes to think it does and its proponents claim that more is being learned every day. That is true, but is it the correct way to go about healing our physical bodies which maybe we will discover one day are essentially just one portion of us as energy beings.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:51 AM

468 posts, read 1,541,421 times
While researching a "cure" for gout on the Earth Clinic website (which I have posted my results in a different thread on the "Alternative Medicine" forum), I came across Oil Pulling. I have receding gums, very sensitive teeth (to hot and cold), and would occassionally get abrasions on the inside of my cheeks due to having a sunflower seed "addiction".

When I first tried oil pulling, about a year ago, I started with sunflower oil. Naturally since I like the taste of sunflower seeds. I would put a TBSP of the oil in my mouth and swish it around while I was taking a shower and getting ready for work. After about 15 mins or so I would spit it out then gargle with mouthwash for about another minute. After that I would quickly brush my teeth with a non-flouride toothpaste.

I used the sunflower oil for about 7 months then switched to sesame oil. The kind of sesame oil I bought was toasted. It was awful. It tasted like swishing burnt toast in my mouth. But, I bought it so I used it up following the same swishing, gargling, brushing routine.

After that I changed to extra virgin olive oil. It took a week or so to get used to that taste. But, again, I followed the same swishing, gargling, brushing routine.

Last week I had my first dental checkup in nearly 2 years. The x-rays showed no new gum loss (but, no improvement either). I didn't have any cavities. And, the hygenist said that my teeth looked "great" (whatever that means).

The oil pulling did nothing for my gum loss. However, my teeth aren't as sensitive to heat and cold. I don't know if that has more to do with the oil pulling or the fact that I changed toothpaste to a non-flouride variety.

I have noticed that since I started oil pulling my teeth feel like they have just been cleaned by the hygenist (again, not sure if it's the oil pulling or the change to a non-flouride toothpaste).

The one thing that I can attribute to the oil pulling is that it soothes the abrasions that I get from my sunflower seed addiction and those abrasions heal very quickly.

Oil pulling will not cure you of any disease. But, if you have canker sores, abrasions, if you accidentally bite your tongue or cheek, then give oil pulling a try. The oil could be very soothing for those conditions, and might help the body heal those issues quicker (although its doubtful that the oil itself is doing the actual healing).

Old 01-03-2013, 10:05 AM

19,697 posts, read 20,229,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Not so. Chinese have been using herbal medicine for many many years and witches and wise-women and medicine men have been using herbs and potions for a long time. In some places this is still the only medicine available. It is the medical authorities and i nsurance companies which have outlawed these cheaper types of healing for the mass population. NOT because they do not work, but because there is no money to be made if people can cure themselves of common colds etc by eating plants which grow in the wild for free. I am not saying that herbs will cure all conditions (so keep your hair on), but I am saying that what you say above is not true.

We really dont know what experience you have had of alternate medicine. You obviously do not believe in cure-alls and I do not think this is being claimed for oil pulling either. There are some practices which are not accepted by modern medicine, in spite of circumstancial evidence that they work. Some of these also work as well as or better than some of the orthodox treatments and with fewer side effects. As I am sure you are aware, many medicines are created by using some of the constituent chemicals of plant cures, however, often they do not work as effectively and as gently as the original plant medicine. I really do not see why all this anger is aimed at something which helps some people. Not all, but some.

None of us really understand the relationship between body and disease, but orthodox medicine likes to think it does and its proponents claim that more is being learned every day. That is true, but is it the correct way to go about healing our physical bodies which maybe we will discover one day are essentially just one portion of us as energy beings.
Great post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron1999

The kind of sesame oil I bought was toasted. It was awful. It tasted like swishing burnt toast in my mouth.

The one thing that I can attribute to the oil pulling is that it soothes the abrasions that I get from my sunflower seed addiction and those abrasions heal very quickly.

Oil pulling will not cure you of any disease. But, if you have canker sores, abrasions, if you accidentally bite your tongue or cheek, then give oil pulling a try. The oil could be very soothing for those conditions, and might help the body heal those issues quicker (although its doubtful that the oil itself is doing the actual healing).
This is what I suspected, that the oil was more helpful to the soft tissues of the mouth & throat, not necessarily the teeth themselves.

(I tried w/ unrefined sesame oil, which is not toasted and a light golden color w/ a more subtle flavor.)

Old 01-03-2013, 06:31 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,987,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Not so. Chinese have been using herbal medicine for many many years and witches and wise-women and medicine men have been using herbs and potions for a long time.
Which doesn't mean they cure anything.

Quote:
In some places this is still the only medicine available. It is the medical authorities and i nsurance companies which have outlawed these cheaper types of healing for the mass population.
You're parroting the alt med websites. No one has outlawed Chinese medicine. If you want to seek that type of medical care, you can.

Quote:
NOT because they do not work, but because there is no money to be made if people can cure themselves of common colds etc by eating plants which grow in the wild for free. I am not saying that herbs will cure all conditions (so keep your hair on), but I am saying that what you say above is not true.
Oh it's true. If it wasn't true no one would have "invented" modern drugs. There would have been no market for it. Tell us, what natural product (herbs etc) takes the place of thyroid medication for hypothyroidism? What "cures" Lupus or cancer?

Quote:
We really dont know what experience you have had of alternate medicine. You obviously do not believe in cure-alls and I do not think this is being claimed for oil pulling either. There are some practices which are not accepted by modern medicine, in spite of circumstancial evidence that they work.
Circumstantial evidence? Let the alt meds PROVE their product works. Testimonials are worthless.

Quote:
Some of these also work as well as or better than some of the orthodox treatments and with fewer side effects.
Which ones for example? I always hear this but have yet to see a list of such products/treatments.

Quote:
As I am sure you are aware, many medicines are created by using some of the constituent chemicals of plant cures, however, often they do not work as effectively and as gently as the original plant medicine. I really do not see why all this anger is aimed at something which helps some people. Not all, but some.
Anger? No, try EXPOSURE for snake oil quack cures. Any anger is caused by these rip off artists ripping off the gullible and desperate.

Quote:
None of us really understand the relationship between body and disease, but orthodox medicine likes to think it does and its proponents claim that more is being learned every day.
Which is true. Look at the quacks making claims that colons are loaded with up to 15 lbs of toxic sludge. They know nothing about human physiology. They're laughable.

Quote:
That is true, but is it the correct way to go about healing our physical bodies which maybe we will discover one day are essentially just one portion of us as energy beings.
People don't want to make lifestyle changes to "cure" themselves. They would rather shoot themselves with Insulin than go on a ultra-low carb diet and give up their plates of pasta, their bread and cookies and rolls and pies and French fries. They want to sit and watch TV rather than take a walk for an hour or two. They want to smoke and drink alcohol.... you get my point.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
Charaka Samhita. Googe that if you'd like to read more...
I'm not really here to prove anything in regards to whether or not oil pulling actually works.
Your loss!
What loss? I have a healthy mouth full of teeth that are all my own and I'm a great grand mother.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
claudhopper wrote: You sought alternatives that didn't work for you, that's fine, it happens.

It happens indeed, wether the modality be a commonly commonly accepted, mainstream, allopathic treatment or a lesser known alternative. Different strokes for different folks. I am one of a growing number of people who are no longer blindly accepting allopathic medicine.
Good. The people who reject real medicine will help bring down the costs of medical care for the rest of society. You'll pay your health care premiums than spend your cash money at the alt med practitioner.

Quote:
I imagine a day in the not too distant future when allopathic medicine and pharmaceutical toxins will be exposed as barbaric medicine, carried out by those who blindly accepted a primitive science as their God.
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying in the above statement.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:39 AM

6,932 posts, read 6,866,775 times
Quote:
Which doesn't mean they cure anything.
Have you ever visited a real Traditional Chinese Medicine doctor? No, probably not. Well, my father-in-law is one and works in one of the best clinics in Beijing. Do you honestly think that people of whatever nationality would continue to visit and support methods of treatment which were not effective? No, I dont either.

Quote:
You're parroting the alt med websites. No one has outlawed Chinese medicine. If you want to seek that type of medical care, you can.
...And you are parroting the orthodox medicine and sceptics websites. So what? We each have our beliefs and I just happen to believe that my body is better supported when it is ill. Can you claim that orthodox medicine does that?

I choose to try to boost my immune system to help my body overcome any conditions it may have - rather than suppressing both immune system AND wayward body cells which is often the case in the mainstream system.

Quote:
Oh it's true. If it wasn't true no one would have "invented" modern drugs. There would have been no market for it. Tell us, what natural product (herbs etc) takes the place of thyroid medication for hypothyroidism? What "cures" Lupus or cancer?
Plenty of people have been cured of cancer through - for example - fasting. The Bristol Cancer Clinic in the UK has helped many many people live longer with a better quality of life than if they had continued to take chemotherapy drugs. It is based on sensible diet for the condition and support for the body. There are plenty of clinics which do this kind of thing and have great results too.

Quote:
Circumstantial evidence? Let the alt meds PROVE their product works. Testimonials are worthless.
Oh, another person shouting "proof". Your beloved science is not at a stage yet to be able to effectively measure the body energy in a way which can help detect and diagnose illness. When these techniques are developed, then yes alternatives to orthodox medication will be available along with the proof that you require. Until then, you will just have to go with the old adage "The proof of the pudding is in the eating". This means if it works, dont knock it.

Unless of course you have another agenda... do you?

Quote:
Which ones for example? I always hear this but have yet to see a list of such products/treatments.
Possibly you do not remember the answers because you are not open to believing them.

As I said above, there used to be clinics which offered fasting as part of serious disease treatment. Many of these have now gone, not because they were ineffective, as these things tend to become popular simply because one person who has been helped recommends it to others. However, these days the medical, pharmacutical and insurance industries are very powerful and employ bully-boy tactics to get rid of organisations which do not agree with their profit agendas.

There are plenty of examples where medication is given and has had side effects because it does not agree with the patients body processes. Herbs prescribed by a qualified herbalist, should be able to support the body and help the healing process without giving side effects or being toxic. Homeopathic treatments also do not have side effects as far as I know. Just 2 examples, but of course, there are others too.

Quote:
Anger? No, try EXPOSURE for snake oil quack cures. Any anger is caused by these rip off artists ripping off the gullible and desperate.
It is interesting that you feel the need to protect people who are probably as intelligent and educated as you are. What makes you think they need 'protecting' by you from these snake-oil concoctions and rip-off artists? Do you believe they are less intelligent and less aware than you are? Do you think you are somehow more intelligent than they are perhaps? Not a doctor were you, by any chance?

I think people are generally quite well aware of the dangers of things, but they are looking to alternative medicine because deep-down, they know that orthodox medicine often poisons their body and makes it dependent on medications for the rest of their life. It does NOT work in a supportive way to restore and maintain health.

Unfortunately, people want a quick-fix and that is the market the orthodox medicines are addressing at the moment.

The aim should be try to get our bodies working correctly and to encourage people to be responsible for their own health, NOT to take over responsibility for our bodies and to manage our health for us.

Quote:
Which is true. Look at the quacks making claims that colons are loaded with up to 15 lbs of toxic sludge. They know nothing about human physiology. They're laughable.
...But while you are laughing at them, people are feeling better because they are rejuvinating and detoxiifying their colons of old decomposing partly-digested meaty bits which have been stuck in the folds of the colon for years. So tell me, is this something which is untrue too?

When doctors remove gall bladders, or thyroids, or other parts of our body - which they do at the drop of a hat - dont you think that our body needs these organs to function correctly?

Maybe we need a re-think of the way medical support works in our current civilisation and doctors should be rewarded for health and penalised for disease in their patients. Oh No... that would mean that doctors and nurses were not gods anymore. It would mean that payment was result-based, just like other jobs are too.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:03 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,993,789 times
^^^ GOOD POST ( #99 )! ^^^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine