Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 12:21 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,987,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Warned about what?
Useless alt meds and the claims made by those shilling them. Warn them that writers are paid to write all those testimonials.

Quote:
and those drugs pulled off the market shouldn't have gotten there in the first place.
How about we pull all the useless alt meds off the market that shouldn't have gotten there in the first place? The net is full of sites selling useless cures and treatments.

Quote:
You are obviously a gov't cultist trained like a rat to serve the system and sweep away any resistance.
Are you aware the Gov doesn't mfg or sell drugs? That the Gov makes no profit on them? That most of the diseases we suffer today we caused by our own poor choices of diet and lack of exercise - that if people followed Gov recommendations they would not suffer these diseases and conditions?

Quote:
I will soon be writing my own testimonial. I don't know how this works, but it is making positive changes for me, without a doubt. And that's after less than a week. Don't knock it til you've tried it.
I have no need to try it. My teeth are already white and my gums healthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 09:26 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,993,789 times
I always get a chuckle out of people who knock non mainstream ways of becoming and staying healthy, without any personal experience. Their pronouncements are basely soley on prejudice, bias, and blind faith in studies carried out by mainstream scientists. Anything outside of the little, tiny box they have painted themself into is automatically labelled as quackery. Anything that doesn't make sense to their habitual manner of thinking is automatically labelled as quackery. Instead of truthfully stating, this makes no sense to me, I don't understand how this could have any possible benefit, and I'm not willing to find out, they automatically call it quackery, but in truth...it is only a prejudiced, biased opinion, with no actual KNOWING.

Any testimonial for a product, practice, or medicine that is not of mainstream origin is automatically a lie, scam, or con job. Any scientific study is automatically accepted as the gospel truth.

Any product, practice, or medicine that is not of mainstream origin that fails to provide benefit for one individual is automatically assumed not to provide benefit for anyone.

Any scientific study that proves a mainstream product, practice, or medicine as legit for a group of people, is automatically assumed to be legit for everyone, all the time. They fail to realize that the only thing proven in the study was that a certain result, was experienced by a certain group of people, at a particular point in time. These scientific results are then automatically assumed to apply to all people, at all times.

The only real value in reading an opinion such as this, is the humor it brings into my life.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:11 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,987,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
I always get a chuckle out of people who knock non mainstream ways of becoming and staying healthy, without any personal experience.
That's a dumb statement since you have no way to know who tried what in their lifetime. It's not that hard to stay healthy. Avoid stress if possible. Eat a good balanced diet avoiding fast food and junk food. Get off your backside and exercise.

Quote:
Their pronouncements are basely soley on prejudice, bias, and blind faith in studies carried out by mainstream scientists.
That's right. TRAINED scientists who are highly educated v. online quacks with something to sell.

Quote:
Anything outside of the little, tiny box they have painted themself into is automatically labelled as quackery.
Because most of it is Quackery. It's been proven to be quackery. Every few years the alt meds have a new treatment or cure. They all fall by the wayside and something new comes along.

Quote:
Anything that doesn't make sense to their habitual manner of thinking is automatically labelled as quackery. Instead of truthfully stating, this makes no sense to me, I don't understand how this could have any possible benefit, and I'm not willing to find out, they automatically call it quackery, but in truth...it is only a prejudiced, biased opinion, with no actual KNOWING.
The old lament of the alt meds. Look at all those like yourself who used Ms. Clark's magic zapper to cure they cancers. Or those like Steve McQueen who took the peach-pit cure and died of a cancer that's easily cured by oncologists - thanks to science, not quacks. No one could be found who survived from these alt med's "cures". Only worthless testimonials by people like my friend in FL who wrote them for income.

Quote:
Any testimonial for a product, practice, or medicine that is not of mainstream origin is automatically a lie, scam, or con job. Any scientific study is automatically accepted as the gospel truth.
Because testimonials can be written by anyone like my friend who has the gift to write persuasively and sounds so sincere. There are never double blind studies or writeups in the medical journals by the quacks peddling alt meds. Scientific studies are.

Quote:
Any product, practice, or medicine that is not of mainstream origin that fails to provide benefit for one individual is automatically assumed not to provide benefit for anyone.
You're parroting those who peddle cures looking for an argument the gullible will believe. Why don't those quack sites publish the testimonials of those who fail to be helped or cured? When a drug doesn't help most people or is suspected of causing death, you hear about it and it's pulled from the marketplace.

Quote:
Any scientific study that proves a mainstream product, practice, or medicine as legit for a group of people, is automatically assumed to be legit for everyone, all the time.
That's as silly a statement as you'll find on any quack website. No Drug was ever expected to help every person every time. Of course the alt meds people can never produce proof of this by coming up with a website where a Drug Co makes such a claim. It's like asking to see someone's medical records to see if some herb or "cleanse" actually did some good or cured some disease. Nothing but testimonials written by professionals paid to write them, or written by the quacks themselves.

Quote:
They fail to realize that the only thing proven in the study was that a certain result, was experienced by a certain group of people, at a particular point in time. These scientific results are then automatically assumed to apply to all people, at all times.
No they're not, and parroting what you read on alt med sites wont change the truth.

Quote:
The only real value in reading an opinion such as this, is the humor it brings into my life.
So tell us, what diseases were you cured of by some cleanse or herb or magic zapper?

Old 12-26-2012, 08:17 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
I'm a certified aromatherapist. That's MY background. I'm not anti-alt-meds, I'm not pro-pharma. I'm anti-quackery, and pro-clinical, peer-reviewed testing. I'm anti-"testimonials" and pro-chemical trials.

If you say you've cured your foot fungus by sucking oil through your teeth, then I'll tell you there are only 3 possible reasons for this: 1) you're lying. 2) your teeth are stuck between your toes 3) your foot fungus was about to clear itself up anyway, and you started sucking oil around the same time as your natural recovery from the fungus.

If your teeth are clean, it's because you probably brush your teeth once in awhile. Either that, or they're not nearly as clean as you think they are, and your friends and family just don't want to hurt your feelings by telling you how bad the stench is. Oil + saliva + food remnants + natural mouth bacteria = sludge, coating the mouth.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:25 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,561,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
That's a dumb statement since you have no way to know who tried what in their lifetime. It's not that hard to stay healthy. Avoid stress if possible. Eat a good balanced diet avoiding fast food and junk food. Get off your backside and exercise.

That's right. TRAINED scientists who are highly educated v. online quacks with something to sell.

Because most of it is Quackery. It's been proven to be quackery. Every few years the alt meds have a new treatment or cure. They all fall by the wayside and something new comes along.

The old lament of the alt meds. Look at all those like yourself who used Ms. Clark's magic zapper to cure they cancers. Or those like Steve McQueen who took the peach-pit cure and died of a cancer that's easily cured by oncologists - thanks to science, not quacks. No one could be found who survived from these alt med's "cures". Only worthless testimonials by people like my friend in FL who wrote them for income.

Because testimonials can be written by anyone like my friend who has the gift to write persuasively and sounds so sincere. There are never double blind studies or writeups in the medical journals by the quacks peddling alt meds. Scientific studies are.

You're parroting those who peddle cures looking for an argument the gullible will believe. Why don't those quack sites publish the testimonials of those who fail to be helped or cured? When a drug doesn't help most people or is suspected of causing death, you hear about it and it's pulled from the marketplace.

That's as silly a statement as you'll find on any quack website. No Drug was ever expected to help every person every time. Of course the alt meds people can never produce proof of this by coming up with a website where a Drug Co makes such a claim. It's like asking to see someone's medical records to see if some herb or "cleanse" actually did some good or cured some disease. Nothing but testimonials written by professionals paid to write them, or written by the quacks themselves.

No they're not, and parroting what you read on alt med sites wont change the truth.

So tell us, what diseases were you cured of by some cleanse or herb or magic zapper?
You the one supporting quackery.

Quote:

The Starfield study, “Is US health really the best in the world?”, published in the Journal of the American Medical Association, came to the following conclusions:

Every year in the US there are:
12,000 deaths from unnecessary surgeries;

7,000 deaths from medication errors in hospitals;

20,000 deaths from other errors in hospitals;

80,000 deaths from infections acquired in hospitals;

106,000 deaths from FDA-approved correctly prescribed medicines

The total of medically-caused deaths in the US every year is 225,000.

This makes the medical system the third leading cause of death in the US, behind heart disease and cancer.

On the heels of Starfield’s astonishing findings, media reporting was extensive, but it soon dwindled. No major newspaper or television network mounted an ongoing “Medicalgate” investigation. Neither the US Department of Justice nor federal health agencies undertook prolonged remedial action.

All in all, those parties who could have taken effective steps to correct this situation preferred to ignore it.

Jon Rappoport -- Medically Caused Death in America

The numbers are no doubt higher now, but it's not like the FDA, AMA, WHO, the Justice Dept, et al., or the media care to investigate. The money keeps flowing, that's all they care about.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:42 PM

No Deaths from Vitamins and Millions From Prescription Drugs

oil pulling involves no drugs.
As someone suggested on this forum, if we aren't cured, they should not get paid. Simple. If they cause needless suffering, they lose their license to practice medicine. We need to stop idolizing these people, and hold them accountable just like everybody else.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:44 PM

Erm, Jon Rappoport is a medical conspiracy theorist. A well-written one, but still - he's one of the people Alex Jones features on his website. It's sort of like using a Roadrunner cartoon as evidence that there really IS an Acme safe company that drops safes on unsuspecting dupes' heads.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:45 PM

Quote:
No Deaths from Vitamins and Millions From Prescription Drugs

oil pulling involves no drugs.
As someone suggested on this forum, if we aren't cured, they should not get paid. Simple. If they cause needless suffering, they lose their license to practice medicine. We need to stop idolizing these people, and hold them accountable just like everybody else.
So if oil pulling doesn't cure my foot fungus, I don't have to pay the supermarket checkout clerk for the olive oil? Awesome.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Erm, Jon Rappoport is a medical conspiracy theorist. A well-written one, but still - he's one of the people Alex Jones features on his website. It's sort of like using a Roadrunner cartoon as evidence that there really IS an Acme safe company that drops safes on unsuspecting dupes' heads.
This is not about whether you like Jon or not, it's about the study done by Starfield, which was published in JAMA in 2000. Rappaport interviewed him about it. You could have looked at the link to have figured that out.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:40 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,764,451 times
Quote:
This is not about whether you like Jon or not, it's about the study done by Starfield, which was published in JAMA in 2000. Rappaport interviewed him about it. You could have looked at the link to have figured that out.
Link?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine