Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2015, 01:48 PM

440 posts, read 377,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
It has a name, its called America.

everyone around the world refers to me as American, sorry sweetie not my fault.
Nameless land.
It just needs one word that will distinguish it form the rest. Until then, it has no distinctive name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 05:29 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,125,239 times
only because Haukur said so

Old 07-09-2015, 05:47 PM

1,398 posts, read 1,488,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haukur View Post
OF makes everything clear. There's a region in the Ameircan continent that doesn't have its own name.

Case closed.

Old 07-09-2015, 11:40 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Quote:
Nameless land.
It just needs one word that will distinguish it form the rest. Until then, it has no distinctive name.
How can a land with a name be a nameless land?

People call it USA and America (i literialy said this multiple times now)

Answer - why do people who are not American always call me American?

Answer - why is it that when i use the word America and Americans most people know that i am talking about the USA and people from the USA?

Old 07-09-2015, 11:53 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,894,981 times
Quote:
Nameless land.

Here is how the average American feels about it you have no idea how deep it is. Listen to the song it's quite clear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q65KZIqay4E

Old 07-10-2015, 12:17 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,858,983 times
Quote:
Nameless land.
So, is "United States of America" a series of words that when uttered in sequence become ghost words, seen but never quantified?

It has a few names which are (or, transliterated derivatives thereof are) distinctive to about 99% of the world's population. United States, Unitrd States of America, US, USA, or... America!! the other 1% are likely being willfully contrarian and obtuse.

Whether you like it or not, few people outside of Latin America care to go through the effort to change their verbiage to preserve the precious little feelings of a group of people who arent really relalevant to them. Even in Latin America, it seems that most people aren't too concerned with the issue.

Old 07-11-2015, 02:19 PM

3 posts, read 3,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantexan View Post
I see this brought up on forums all the time and it's almost always by liberal white Americans who see racists behind every tree.
I completely agree with this post.

Old 08-15-2015, 11:28 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,457,003 times
Canadians don't get mad at that, only some South Americans do. There are 7 continents in this world.

Europe
Africa
Asia
Australia (Oceania)
Antarctica
North America
South America

Idk how anyone can think the Americas are one continent? Panama is like a tiny string barely connecting the two. If the Americas are one continent, then Asia, Africa and Europe should be one continent too, because they have less of a separation. Seriously, if a single ice berg melts, I think Panama will flood and then there won't be any more of this "One continent BS!"

Old 08-16-2015, 06:46 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,541,448 times
Canadians are generally not called Americans. Although both countries are in North America (the continent) Canadians are called Canadians and Americans are called Americans.

Someone might say they are from South America, but I've never heard the term "I'm South American"

Old 08-16-2015, 07:38 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Canadians are generally not called Americans. Although both countries are in North America (the continent) Canadians are called Canadians and Americans are called Americans.

Someone might say they are from South America, but I've never heard the term "I'm South American"
Yea, the only people i hear who identify with their continent are European.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas