Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2015, 04:08 PM

440 posts, read 377,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
I didn't acknowledge anything I was trying to look at it from your perspective that's all, let's not jump to a hasty conclusion.

Do us all a favor define what a real name and a real demonyn is.

One more question, the people whom you claim use the demonym Unitedstatsian do they do so in while speaking English(which I doubt) or do these individuals refer to themselves as an "Estadounidense" while speaking Castilian?
You actually do. It is not that you explicitly say it, but by trying to sound sarcastic instead of refutting our claims with history facts to counter our claims you show your position is weak and cannot stand on its own to try to justify the appropriation of "America" and "American" by the US.

Type "Unitedstatesian" on Google and read about it. There's rich documentation and not only for "Unitedstatesian". More words have been coined throughout history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2015, 06:23 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,892,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haukur View Post
You actually do. It is not that you explicitly say it, but by trying to sound sarcastic instead of refutting our claims with history facts to counter our claims you show your position is weak and cannot stand on its own to try to justify the appropriation of "America" and "American" by the US.

Type "Unitedstatesian" on Google and read about it. There's rich documentation and not only for "Unitedstatesian". More words have been coined throughout history.
Reread my previous posts on this thread I covered that already. You conveniently ignored my questions.

Where is the sarcasm in my post? I asked reasonable questions.

Old 12-28-2015, 03:51 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,854,315 times
Quote:
Here's the justification: it happened. That's how language works.

Quote:
... and not a single one of those have stuck, other than "American."

Old 12-28-2015, 10:05 AM

4,794 posts, read 2,798,355 times
Default So far from God,

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post

Not @ all, not @ all. There is a quite rich range of vernacular & slang & epithets for US citizens in Mexico, I assure you. Some of them profane, some of them blasphemous, some conveying grudging acknowledgement, some neutral, a handful that express some admiration. But as Spanish is one o' them furrin languages (& how can that be, if Spanish - along with Viking, Portuguese, etc. long predated the arrival of the British? - Spanish arrived formally in the New World in 1492 CE), it's easy enough to delete its import in the US Southwest, Florida, up the eastern seacoast, California & up the western seacoast. Of course, many of those place names are still in effect, mountains, rivers, states - we'll just have to make the best of it, I imagine.

Old 12-28-2015, 06:21 PM

Quote:

That's not how language works; that's how the lack of interaction from US citizens with the rest of Americans works.

Old 12-28-2015, 06:25 PM

Quote:

Too long of a link

https://books.google.cl/books?id=qGb...page&q&f=false

http://www.fact-index.com/a/al/alter..._american.html

Last edited by Haukur; 12-28-2015 at 06:34 PM..

Old 12-28-2015, 06:37 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,122,874 times
Quote:
That's not how language works; that's how the lack of interaction from US citizens with the rest of Americans works.
so citizens of US are "Unitedstatesians", but citizens of Canada, Brazil, Colombia etc. are Americans

Old 12-28-2015, 07:02 PM

4,794 posts, read 2,798,355 times
Default Names matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
so citizens of US are "Unitedstatesians", but citizens of Canada, Brazil, Colombia etc. are Americans
No, everyone born in the Americas or nationalized is an American. That's the issue - it's vague language. A lot of the language authorities cite American as equivalent to US citizen. But they also cite the continental meaning second, or sometimes flip the sequence - depending on the publisher. The only similar case I remember offhand in the US is Christian v. Roman Catholic.

See Which is the correct definition of Christian; what definition do we use?

"Who is a Christian?

"Which definition is correct?

"This question assumes that there is one and only one correct definition of the term "Christian." However, depending upon your understanding of the nature of truth, many definitions may be "true" to various groups:
  • To conservative Protestants, a Christian is often defined according to their salvation status. Their definition is "true" to them, because it agrees with some of their foundational beliefs: that the Bible is inerrant, that salvation is by grace, and that one must be "born-again" to be saved and avoid eternal punishment in Hell.
  • To Roman Catholics, a Christian is often defined according to their baptism status and the presence of any unresolved mortal sin in their lives. Their definition is "true" to them, because it agrees with their fundamental beliefs about the nature of sacraments, their understanding of the Bible, the declarations of many Church Councils, the statements of many popes, and their church's tradition.
  • To many in the very early Christian movement, a Christian was defined as a person who was baptized and proclaimed "Jesus is Lord." Their definition was "true" to them because it agreed with their understanding of their religious belief at a time when the Christian Scriptures (New Testament) had not yet been written and assembled.
  • And so on, with other faith groups."
(More @ the URL.)

A very interesting discussion - I've noticed that the term Christian in the US tends to be claimed by Protestant churches. The implication being that Roman Catholicism is not Christian, which I find amusing, if not quite blasphemous. As I recall, Rev. Luther wasn't interested in changing all the theology of the church - he wanted clergy to be able to marry, he favored vernacular worship, & he emphasized everyone reading the Bible for him- or herself - which deemphasized tradition & lines of ecclesiastical authority, which in turn led to a lot of splintering in the Protestant churches, IMO.

Old 12-28-2015, 08:15 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,122,874 times
ask someone from England, Germany, Sweden etc. what people are called American. Nobody will say someone from Brazil.

Old 12-28-2015, 11:24 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,791,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
ask someone from England, Germany, Sweden etc. what people are called American. Nobody will say someone from Brazil.
Yeah because they hold little regard towards the cultural perspectives of other countries in the Americas.

It doesn't matter what they think- what matters is how the local cultures in the Americas view themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas