Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 10:30 AM

440 posts, read 377,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Nope, America is 2 continents. You have the North American continental plate and the South American continental plate. There was a time when America was considered one continent (i.e. Olympic rings) but that notion has moved on since then.

What America is, is one landmass connected by a thin land bridge just like Africa and Asia.

In any case, from Baffin Island to Tierra del Fuego, people have the right to call themselves Americans if they so wish without any objection. Something the US population might struggle with.
Incorrect, America is one. When people gave names to continents they were not thinking about geography; instead, certain degree of similarity regarding ethnicity and culture is what define continents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2016, 02:52 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,724,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haukur View Post
Incorrect, America is one. When people gave names to continents they were not thinking about geography; instead, certain degree of similarity regarding ethnicity and culture is what define continents.
Wrong! Continents are land masses divided by prominent geographical features be them continental plates, Oceans/seas or mountain ranges like the Ural mountains that split Europe from Asia. Even the South Asian (Indian sub-continent) was considered a separate continent before the collision.

Pangea is known as the super-continent precisely because of geography, cultural traits are a product not a raison d'etre for defining continents.

Old 02-07-2016, 07:09 PM

2,948 posts, read 2,916,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Wrong! Continents are land masses divided by prominent geographical features be them continental plates, Oceans/seas or mountain ranges like the Ural mountains that split Europe from Asia. Even the South Asian (Indian sub-continent) was considered a separate continent before the collision.

Pangea is known as the super-continent precisely because of geography, cultural traits are a product not a raison d'etre for defining continents.
Going by your criteria, then America should be splitted in 3 continents: S. America, N. America and Caribe, since there is a Caribbean Plate too. Also, N. America would include east syberia, north japan and iceland.
So..no. At least actually the continents aren't defined using the continental plates criteria.

Old 02-08-2016, 03:11 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,724,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlaver View Post
So..no. At least actually the continents aren't defined using the continental plates criteria.
You only read what you wanted to from my 3 point criteria; continental plates ( Well done - you got that one), Oceans/Seas and prominent geographical features. Both the Cocos and Caribbean plates are minute in comparison and are anomalies of subduction (ocean shelves). They also both move in a northerly direction (like the Indian plate did/does with Asia), furthering the argument of lumping it with North America. However, again as I mentioned it's only one of the 3 point criteria.

If you're suggesting that culture is the decider like the fellow poster, I must disagree. Culture is a bi-product and on one continent you can have plenty of starkly different native cultures, or do Siberians look/act Bangladeshi to you? Also the idea of revolving everything around HUMAN culture is narcissistic to me - we've only been around for 100,000 years and didn't even leave Africa until 60,000 years ago. We're a piece of nothing in the Earth's timeline.

Last edited by Pueblofuerte; 02-08-2016 at 03:29 AM..

Old 02-10-2016, 06:39 PM

1,987 posts, read 2,109,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I speak various languages and in none of them is Americans the official term, it is always just colloquial, whereas the official terms (used on the news etc.) are for instance US-Amerikaner or US-Bürger in German, Estado-Unidenses in Portuguese, Estadounidenses in Spanish, etc.

A similar case would be the United Arab Emirates. but luckily they have the word Emirate in there, so the demonym is Emirian. But of course they are not a bit more Arab than Arabs from Saudi-Arabia or Oman.
The U.S. was the first united country in the Western Hemisphere that wasn't a small island. It adopted "American" from its own official name, United States of America, at the end of the 18th century and the term has endured in most of the world. I speak other languages, too, and in most European languages, "American" still predominates, and officially too. In both German and French, the adjective and noun "American" is the standard term -- it's the one used in most all the media and by most politicians, pundits, and even academics.

In German, "US-Amerikaner" is used in the media, but "Amerikaner" (alone) is far more common. In French, the term "Américain(e)" continues despite a big push at the end of the 1990s in certain political circles to adopt the term "États-unien(ne)." It's mostly been a flop -- even in French Wikipedia, where after a debate and general vote, Francophone editors decided to retain "Américain" as the default term for American. I rarely see "'États-unien" in French-language sources except in highly ideological (read: anti-American) magazines and websites.

The fuss over "American" is largely confined to the Hispanic world, where "estadounidense" and "norteamericano" are official and unofficial terms respectively. This is largely for historical reasons and also, I believe, the result of resentment. It was also resentment, in part, that fueled the campaign for "États-unien" in the French-speaking world.

Last edited by masonbauknight; 02-10-2016 at 06:50 PM..

Old 02-10-2016, 08:07 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,848,917 times
This stupid thread is still going on? With one poster insisting that us "American's" and the rest of the world is wrong! Paleeeeeeeeeeeese!

I haven't been to a Latin American country yet that the people don't consider me an American (or Gringo). The only time I have ever been considered an "estadounidense" is on official paperwork while clearing into a country and when I bought property in Costa Rica. I thought it was general knowledge that most official government paperwork is not written in the way people actually speak. So all my friends, acquaintances and others whom I have come across in assorted other country's, I am as American (Americano) as they are Venezulanos, Ticos (costa Rica), Panamanians, Nico's (Nicaragua), Colombianos, Mexicano's, puerto Ricanos, Dominicanos. They proudly claim those monicers as they like to show pride in being from their respective country's. And the Canadians I know call themselves that. Oh, I do know one Canadian who refers to himself as a proud American. He immigrated here and is a US citizen with US passport.

I have heard some Canadian's and assorted white Europeans referred to as Americanos as well but that is not because they think Canadians are Americans or that Europe is part of the America's. It's because they just assume that if the person is white and speaks English he is from the US.

Old 02-02-2018, 08:21 PM

1 posts, read 571 times
The name of the whole continent is America. It existed printed on Spanish and Portuguese maps long before the Brithish established their colonies in this continent. Many people in the USA support the definition of the two Americas (North and South) and say that the continent is called "the Americas". However, this contradicts with the name of their country: it is "United States of America"; and not "United States of NORTH America" or "United States of THE AMERICAS". The name of the country indicates that the United States belong to America (the continent), and not that the continent belongs to them.
We are discussing about Geography with people from the USA, the most illiterate people in the world regarding Geography. They wouldn't be able to point to France in a map. So, what's next? Will we discuss with them about languages?

Old 02-02-2018, 09:10 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,608,601 times
And still no one cares. Although I am surprised to learn that citizens of central and South America are geography wizards. I had no idea.

Old 02-03-2018, 08:18 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,394,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the awesomee View Post
I have heard this from Canadians and some South Americans and they get mad when people from the US refer to themselves as "Americans". I am questioning why do they get mad and say "oh but we are all Americans"??? While accurate, the reason being is because America is in the name of our country, therefore the name of the people are called Americans, just as Mexico is Mexicans and Canada has Canadians. Is it an ego thing? or do people not grasp simple understandings? If not Amercians what would they suggest we call ourselves, Statsiens? Just a thought, any input that could help me understand the inferiority complex would be much appreciated, thanks
Wrong! We are The United States OF AMERICA, not the United American States.

The term American belongs to every one from northern Canada to the southern tip of Tierra Del Fuego, Argentina.

Old 02-06-2018, 02:06 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,125,239 times
There is no continent called America. And I am from Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas