Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2015, 01:44 AM

844 posts, read 1,063,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
It doesn't matter what they think- what matters is how the local cultures in the Americas view themselves.
This.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 07:46 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,125,239 times
Quote:
It doesn't matter what they think- what matters is how the local cultures in the Americas view themselves.
Using your words - it doesn't matter what Brazilians or other South Americans think. What matters is how the local cultures in the US view themselves.

Old 12-29-2015, 12:06 PM

440 posts, read 377,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
so citizens of US are "Unitedstatesians", but citizens of Canada, Brazil, Colombia etc. are Americans

We all know what we are talking about. No need to make absurd assumptions.
"American" is demonym for continentality. Unitedstatesians are Americans the same way Brazilians, Canadians, Peruvians or Venezuelans are Americans.

https://www.alluvium-journal.org/201...a-and-america/

Old 12-29-2015, 02:39 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,792,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Using your words - it doesn't matter what Brazilians or other South Americans think. What matters is how the local cultures in the US view themselves.
The word is used throughout the region in different ways, and that is just a reality. It won't change, so its a moot point.

From where you are it doesn't matter what Brazilians think. In Brazil, South America and Latin America, it does.

Old 12-30-2015, 01:41 AM

38 posts, read 36,891 times
I dislike the USA term "latino" so commonly shoved down everyone's throats

It really simplifies and slaps the face of Latin America's diversity!

Old 12-30-2015, 06:17 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,858,983 times
Quote:
The word is used throughout the region in different ways, and that is just a reality. It won't change, so its a moot point.

From where you are it doesn't matter what Brazilians think. In Brazil, South America and Latin America, it does.
And that's why if I am in a Portugese- or Spanish-speaking, Latin American nation, I'll defer to whatever the established demonym for American is in that language and culture. To do otherwise would be rude and disrespectful.

Just like when (an insignificant few) people from other nations tell us we should change the way we speak amongst ourselves, in our own language and in our own countries. No thanks

Old 12-30-2015, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauritania View Post
I dislike the USA term "latino" so commonly shoved down everyone's throats

It really simplifies and slaps the face of Latin America's diversity!
Not really. It doesn't implicitly mean that they aren't any specific race, ethnicity, or culture, just that they originate somewhere from Mexico on down.

Old 01-01-2016, 06:50 PM

471 posts, read 621,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Not really. It doesn't implicitly mean that they aren't any specific race, ethnicity, or culture, just that they originate somewhere from Mexico on down.
No.

Anyone fom the American continent is American.

Old 01-01-2016, 10:16 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,723,845 times
Even though it is seems geographically okay ...it is a cultural slap in the face. Other countries that are constantly feeling threatened by The USA 's businesses and cultural totally absorbing their indentities get really annoyed because we do not want to be melted in the mix. We are separate and different. Far too often I have had this debated when travelling ex in Egland with my Italian housemates, in Turkey, in Morocco .... It's gets really annoying. Regardless, who talks this broadly. The only time I really thought about the "Americas" was when the Pam Am games were in Toronto this summer. Other the that ... Not really a term I think of.

Old 01-02-2016, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Even though it is seems geographically okay ...it is a cultural slap in the face. Other countries that are constantly feeling threatened by The USA 's businesses and cultural totally absorbing their indentities get really annoyed because we do not want to be melted in the mix. We are separate and different. Far too often I have had this debated when travelling ex in Egland with my Italian housemates, in Turkey, in Morocco .... It's gets really annoying. Regardless, who talks this broadly. The only time I really thought about the "Americas" was when the Pam Am games were in Toronto this summer. Other the that ... Not really a term I think of.
And for those nations in the Americas who want nothing to do with the US, its policies, its social problems, etc (which I really can't blame anyone for at all - I don't want anything to do with them... why do you think I live in the US' #1 economic competitor? Haha....), thank god for them that they have their own demonyms to specifically note that they do not originate from the US so that there is zero confusion!

How often do you meet someone from England or Italy who says, "I'm European," or a Vietnamese or Chinese person who says "I'm Asian" when asked about their place of origin, before stating where, specifically, they are from? This is a silly, emotional argument, and one that is emotionally stunted at that. It seems like it's more a desire to sock it to the US for those perceived transgressions than it is for any practical reason, which is a slap in the face in its own right... albiet one that no one in the US has ever noticed or cares about. If this argument presented itself anywhere else in the world, it would be equally pointless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas