Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 09:11 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,720,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
Very interesting stuff Pueblo...didn't know about the modern African music connection...side note: have been in love with that chick from the Choco group for a minute now
Yeh she fine! She has an elegance & girl next door beauty that transcends across the lense.

- Goyo Martinez by WireImage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2015, 03:17 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,321,296 times
I dont know if Quintana Roo would be part of the Caribbean, but I know that Belize and the North Coast of Honduras would qualify as caribbean because of its culture. Also I would say the west coast of Colombia is caribbean too

Old 11-01-2015, 09:02 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,396,033 times
The entire Eastern coast of Central America could be considered Caribbean.

Bluefields, Nicaragua

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7U64ey0oGk

Limon, Costa Rica

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxTQICs9t_k

Livingston, Guatemala

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWNzIvGp6bk

Old 11-02-2015, 08:06 PM

18,126 posts, read 25,269,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
well, I know people from many places mentioned by the OP, and many of them would consider themselves "Caribeño" just as much as anyone from the islands.
I was born in Paraguana Peninsula (just South of Aruba) and most of my family lives there
Damn right I'm Caribbean, I was born less than 5 miles from the Caribbean Sea in "Punto Fijo, Venezuela"

Old 11-03-2015, 03:19 AM

692 posts, read 956,869 times
Quote:
Huh? Guyana is a part of CARICOM and is culturally quite similar to other Anglo Caribbean countries. You seem to be mixing up tropical and Caribbean with the inclusion of totally irrelevant to the discussion Indian Ocean islands.
Because Guyana doesn't have much in common with Haiti does that mean that it is not Caribbean? I am really not sure why you brought up the Spanish and French speaking Caribbean. You seem to be arguing something else. Do you want me to say "Culturally Anglo Caribbean" instead? My point still stands either way. As a Jamaican, I actually have a somewhat difficult time in distinguishing Trinis and GT people. Guyana is a Caribbean culture. If you don't understand that, that may be due to ignorance on your part when it comes to the Anglo Caribbean.
I was born in the "Anglo" Caribbean (also happen to speak Creole as a first language cuz of my mom, but that's an aside), I'm fully aware of the similarities between Guyanese people and many English-speaking Caribbean people, and please don't insult my intelligence by assuming that I can't tell the difference between tropical and Caribbean.

Guyanese people are alot like us, I would never dispute that. But that doesn't make them Caribbean really since it's a geographic term and they don't border the Caribbean sea. And the reason I pointed out the French andSpanish Caribbean is because they make up the overwhelming majority of Caribbean people. Santo Domingo (the city) alone has more people than all of Jamaica. Port-au-Prince alone has more people than all of Trinidad. So I don't see why Guyanese people are Caribbean by virtue of the fact that they have some similarities with a relatively small percentage of Caribbean people. CARICOM is irrelevant in the discussion when you consider that it doesn't represent the majority of Caribbean people either.

Quote:
Yeah I don't get why he brought up the Indian Ocean islands. Caribbean is a subset of tropical culture and tropical island culture. So of course there may be some similarities. The connection between Guyana and the rest of the Anglo Caribbean is much stronger than that. I mean, CaribNY said that there were no flights between Guyana and Brazil/ Venezuela as opposed to 4 flights daily to Trinidad.
My knowledge of Suriname and French Guyana is not as strong but I believe Suriname has the same relationship with the Dutch Caribbean that Guyana has with the rest of the Anglo Caribbean. I imagine the same is true with French Guyana and Martinique/ Guadeloupe. If I am wrong with those 2, I wait to be corrected.
I mentioned the Indian Ocean islands because they are former British and French colonies which have a culture that has over the years mixed African, Indian, British and French influences, giving you a feel which is generally very similar to that found in many Caribbean countries despite being far away. My point was that you don't have to be in the Caribbean physically in order to share cultural commonalities with it.

You're arguing that Guyana is Caribbean because of their culture. If that's the case, then Colombia, Venezuela, Panama and Costa Rica should also be considered Caribbean because of the similarities in their cultures to places like the Dominican Republic, Cuba and Puerto Rico.

And just as an aside, the fact that there are 4 flights daily to Trinidad doesn't mean much in the wider scheme of things. There are more flights from Santo Domingo to New York than there are to Havana but that doesn't mean that the US is more like the DR than Cuba is. Where people fly is more representative of their economic ties, not necessarily cultural ones.

Last edited by lexdiamondz1902; 11-03-2015 at 03:34 AM..

Old 11-03-2015, 08:59 AM

728 posts, read 974,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexdiamondz1902 View Post
Guyanese people are alot like us, I would never dispute that. But that doesn't make them Caribbean really since it's a geographic term and they don't border the Caribbean sea. And the reason I pointed out the French andSpanish Caribbean is because they make up the overwhelming majority of Caribbean people. Santo Domingo (the city) alone has more people than all of Jamaica. Port-au-Prince alone has more people than all of Trinidad. So I don't see why Guyanese people are Caribbean by virtue of the fact that they have some similarities with a relatively small percentage of Caribbean people. CARICOM is irrelevant in the discussion when you consider that it doesn't represent the majority of Caribbean people either.
Although I disagree regarding how 'Caribbean' Guyanese folks are, you hit a nail on the head with this statement. I've brought this subject up on the forum before, but it was shot down as 'nonsense'. CARICOM doesn't want DR because of the overwhelming economic power it would wield over the organization. Haiti is poor, but DR is not. DR is the regional heavyweight, so in trade policy and whatnot; the movers and shakers would rather deal with it outside of the forum as a singular outside entity.

Old 11-03-2015, 04:50 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,396,033 times
It's interesting that the Central American Coast seems to have more cultural ties with the Anglo Caribbean than they do with the Spanish Caribbean.

Old 11-03-2015, 05:07 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,100,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexdiamondz1902 View Post
I was born in the "Anglo" Caribbean (also happen to speak Creole as a first language cuz of my mom, but that's an aside), I'm fully aware of the similarities between Guyanese people and many English-speaking Caribbean people, and please don't insult my intelligence by assuming that I can't tell the difference between tropical and Caribbean.

I mentioned the Indian Ocean islands because they are former British and French colonies which have a culture that has over the years mixed African, Indian, British and French influences, giving you a feel which is generally very similar to that found in many Caribbean countries despite being far away. My point was that you don't have to be in the Caribbean physically in order to share cultural commonalities with it.

You're arguing that Guyana is Caribbean because of their culture. If that's the case, then Colombia, Venezuela, Panama and Costa Rica should also be considered Caribbean because of the similarities in their cultures to places like the Dominican Republic, Cuba and Puerto Rico.

And just as an aside, the fact that there are 4 flights daily to Trinidad doesn't mean much in the wider scheme of things. There are more flights from Santo Domingo to New York than there are to Havana but that doesn't mean that the US is more like the DR than Cuba is. Where people fly is more representative of their economic ties, not necessarily cultural ones.
In this very thread that we are participating in, people are saying that people on the Caribbean coasts of Colombia, Panama, Venezuela and Costa Rica are Caribbean. It is against that backdrop that we are saying that Guyanese are Caribbean. I am looking at Caribbean as both geographical and cultural.

Does the fact that Santo Domingo has more people than Jamaica make Jamaica any less Caribbean? If Guyana's entire history is based upon an association with the Anglo Caribbean, don't we in the Anglo Caribbean have a right to claim Guyana as one of our own? My point is that the numerical superiority of the Spanish and French Caribbean is absolutely irrelevant to the discussion. If you want to argue that the Anglo Caribbean is disproportionately represented in the USA as being the definition of Caribbean, then you need to create that thread. That is a totally different issue (remember that USA is Anglo and that the situation may be reversed in Hispanic and Francophone cultures). A native of tiny Nevis has as much claim to Caribbean as mighty Havana and Santo Domingo.

I thought you were being facetious with the Indian Ocean comments so I might have been a tad facetious myself with the tropical and Caribbean comment. My apologies on that. But then you completely miss the point of Guyana having flights to Trinidad by comparing flights from the DR to the USA. Come on man, Guyana is either South American or Caribbean. It has no flights to its big Latin American neighbors but 4 daily to Trinidad. The point should be obvious. Guyana is Caribbean. Every country in the region has flights to the USA. It is the "big daddy" of our hemisphere and has expatriate communities of every nationality in the region. Not to mention the tourism industry. That sounds like arguing just to argue.

Old 11-05-2015, 09:56 PM

16 posts, read 16,768 times
"Does the fact that Santo Domingo has more people than Jamaica make Jamaica any less Caribbean? "
Exactly...what does population have to do with anything.

There is more that one Caribbean:

the two major groups are the Latin Caribbean and

the rest
Western European - British /Dutch/ French
By the 70's complete end of the "british empire" and because of past historical fighting most ended up with a jumble or at lest a past historical connection to each other, and most has some english speaking people. None of these countries had any ties with latin countries.

Guyana is a a very different. It has historically been tied to the Anglo Caribbean islands and the Eastern Caribbean Trinidad, Barbados ...and Jamaica in the large grouping, and for obvious reason share a extremely similar culture, so its more about history and culture rather than location.

Yes the anglo Caribbean being mostly protestant are very afraid of the Latin countries, with their pope and no condoms, because of their small populations are so small. With mass movement of people they could easily be wiped out.

Belize since globalization in the late 1990's has seen a 30% in crease in population due to latins coming from neighboring countries.

Last edited by FingerPoint; 11-05-2015 at 10:09 PM..

Old 11-05-2015, 09:59 PM

16 posts, read 16,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
It's interesting that the Central American Coast seems to have more cultural ties with the Anglo Caribbean than they do with the Spanish Caribbean.
The British was every where.

Misquote coast, Belize - also a moment of workers from Jamaica to the area I think both before slavery and after freedom as paid workers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas