Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 06:30 AM

1,212 posts, read 1,432,907 times

Advertisements

This Brazilian comedy is based on a play, but it's not as good as it

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 07:33 AM

3,862 posts, read 5,286,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Seen City of God a long time ago and thought is was really good. Did you know there is a follow up documentary about this movie Called "City of God – 10 Years Later"? Is it now on my to mental to watch list.

Machuca Machuca (2004) - I will be watching this one likely in the next week.

The other's I have to find online as I could not get them though my usually 1st step source.

Thanks for sharing !
Please let us all know what you think of the films you end up watching.

The follow up to City of God is also worth watching, I checked it out on Netflix recently.

Old 01-05-2016, 07:39 AM

3,862 posts, read 5,286,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
La Playa?
That is the one that came to my mind first as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Honestly I grew up around a lot of Latin American people in Toronto Canada and I seriously have NEVER meet anyone who is visible Black from Latin American where I am from and we have lots of Colombian people in Toronto. Honestly it makes me sort of wonder what is up with that? I also go to a lot of Latin American Event in Toronto and there never seems to be much representation which I find odd, with the expectation of Brazilians. I see a bit more diversity at Brazilian events in my city. When I go to the US I do see more Afro Latin American representation... not so much in my city which I find strange. Wonder why? The impression I got from the Latina American friends I have had in Toronto always suggested that there were no significant Afro Latina American population? Most of these people were from Colombia, Chile, Argentina, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Guatemala, Ecuador, Mexico and Costa Rica. They all seemed pretty oblivious to the existence of people from their own countries of origin (based on their interactions with my friends and family members from the Caribbean that visible look more like they are of Afro-Caribbean descent)? Sorry hugely got side tracked with that... if you know the name of the movie I might be taking about please share !
As someone who also lived in TO and around a few Latin Americans I can say that Afro-Latino culture is not as well represented in Toronto as it is in other parts of the world. I find that both Canadians and Americans have difficulty understanding the separation between race and nationality. Alot of people still dont understand that you can be black and Latin American at the same time. Its strange to me.

Have you watched the "Black in Latin America" series from Henry Louis Gates? If not you should check it out.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:12 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,010,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Falcon View Post
This argentinean was very popular in Brazil (Drama)
I think I saw this one. It was good.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:30 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,238,927 times
City of God is probably best movie made from latin America, if not best definitely top 3. BTW for fans of the movie there was also a series which although not exactly like the movie had similar themes and some of the same actors and it was called City of Men. The series had a more lighthearted feel to it though. Worth checking out as well. I'd give Amores Perros an honorable mention as well.

Old 01-05-2016, 12:10 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,720,754 times
Default I liked this one too ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
By far, my absolute favourite Latin American movie is Motorcycle Diaries. Have watched it at least a dozen times. Imagine, it's a Latin American movie which has nothing to do with violence, guns, drugs, where no one gets shot or killed, yet somehow manages to leave the viewer with something to ponder and think about. That aside, the movie does much remind me of the opposing personalities between my lifelong friend and I.
I really enjoyed this movie. I owned it until I lent to someone ... who never returned it ! What I like about it is that it actually told a story about what got him to the point where he ended. To me at least it builds up to explaining/ suggesting why someone would decide to go that route ex. to fight for change vs. continue to be more passive.

Old 01-05-2016, 12:15 PM

Default Yes!!!!

Quote:
La Playa?
What!! That is it lol. Thanks !

La playa DC (2012)

Old 01-05-2016, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Lots of good suggestions.

I liked Y tu mama también.

Don't think it has been mentioned yet.

Yup ... it was in the orginal list. The relationship between the 2 main characters always reminds me of these 2 guys I use to know.

Old 01-05-2016, 12:25 PM

Default Variety ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Falcon View Post
Elite Squad 2 is the most popular brazilian movie.

Do you like comedies?

Brazil does a lot. Actualy most brazilian movies are comedies. Many of them I didn't watched yet.

Some that I did and liked

A Mulher Invisível

Se eu fosse você 1 and 2

Although this formula is quite old in Hollywood (their spirits trade bodies), this brazilian version is very cool!

Homens são de Marte

O Auto da Compadecida

Viva Voz

De Pernas para o Ar 2 (I didn't like the first)
It is freezing cold and we are getting less day light hours so I might want to lighten up the content of what I am watching so I do not end up tramalized. It's better to laugh then cry right? I might try to check some of these out ( so I do not get depressed after watching all that heavy stuff lol).

Old 01-05-2016, 12:27 PM

Default Will do ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Please let us all know what you think of the films you end up watching.

The follow up to City of God is also worth watching, I checked it out on Netflix recently.
I will !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas