Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 11:52 AM

3,282 posts, read 3,790,318 times

Advertisements

Cuba and Argentina have excellent movies. My favorite LA movies are from Argentina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2016, 12:57 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,719,822 times
I am not big on old movies ( think they often can be super cheesy and with poor visuals), but I randomly found a DVD of this movie last night and I really liked it. A serious topics protrayed in the most comical of ways. I do not know if it is because the main character just reminds me of my dad a little bit ( poco loco) and the hustle that many parents have to do provide for their kids (ex working 3 jobs and always hustling in order to try to make sure their family survives), but this movie was a pleasant watch. It always reminded me of how people with less are always the most creative in their attempts to solve problems (in not always a good way).

Popi (1969)

Last edited by klmrocks; 01-08-2016 at 01:05 PM..

Old 01-09-2016, 05:24 AM

844 posts, read 1,063,055 times
Most people find difficult to watch old and B&W movies, but if you can digest it here some recommendations:

Pedro Paramo with John Gavin, really close to the book.

La Otra with Dolores Del Rio, playing twin sisters.

Los Caifanes, excellent film that depicts Mexico City in the late 60's.

A Toda Maquina with Pedro Infante, my entire family favorite movie.

Enamorada with Maria Felix and Pedro Armendariz, you'll fall in love with both and the photography in it.

Hasta El Viento Tiene Miedo, 60's horror cult film.

Hope that you understand Spanish or can find them with subtitles.

Old 01-10-2016, 03:36 PM

Forgot this one...

Before Night Falls

Old 01-10-2016, 03:57 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
I am wondering if you can help indentify this movie. I believe it is set in Argentina, and is post apocalyptic. It is almost an arthouse film.

It is a young uncle with his nephew and niece holding out by themselves on his brother's large farm. Apparently, the Sun is getting hotter and hotter, and the sky is getting brighter and brighter, and that has caused many people to die off and civilization has pretty much collapsed.

The climax starts when this creepy looking guy shows up looking for some shelter. He is refused, and the Uncle realizes he has to head into town to look for others and his brother. He does not find them, but sees a newspaper with the creepy looking guys picture. It turns out he is a pedophile serial killer.

Anyone know this movie?

Also there is another apocalyptic Argentina movie, where everyone in Buenos Aires is quarantined in their homes. This family is living inside a building with a few others at the beginning of this. The world around them falls apart, and they have no idea. Conflicts start brewing amongst the building dwellers as they decide whether they should leave the city altogether.

Anyone know this one?

Old 01-10-2016, 04:50 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,026,589 times
Paraiso Tropical was a good movie (Colombian film)

Old 01-10-2016, 08:08 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,358,171 times
I watch movies on HBO Latino and Showtime en Español at least once a week.

Last week I watched Ciudad Delirio, filmed in Cali, Colombia and has lots of good salsa music. I watched it with one of my neighbors (from Colombia) and she really liked it. I looked at Youtube reviews and they looked pretty good also.

Another I've seen recently is Miss Bala (from Mexico). Sort of a different look at the narco traffic world along the border.

Old 01-10-2016, 08:48 PM

Default Gael Garcia Golden Globe Win!

Gael Garcia just one a Golden Globe award. Good for him Well deserved.

Old 01-10-2016, 10:04 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,790,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Gael Garcia just one a Golden Globe award. Good for him Well deserved.
He's a great actor, definitely deserves the award. Mexican director Alejandro Gonzalez Iñarritu also won for the Revenant. He has been doing very well at these award shows. Of course, reminds me of Amores Perros.

Old 01-11-2016, 07:59 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,358,171 times
I saw another good movie on HBO Latino - En el Ombligo del Cielo (In the middle of Heaven). This is a film from Mexico released in 2013. This is a pretty good film about a high strung young career woman in a high stress advertising job, who happens to get locked on her building rooftop over a long weekend with one of the building maintenance / cleaning guys. I won't give away the whole movie plot, but it is a simple story about how two people from different sides of the economic ladder with next to nothing in common become friends after spending many days stuck on the building rooftop. No violence, no sex, no special effects, but a good people story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas