Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 05:16 PM

1,478 posts, read 788,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Most of those lists were devised by organisations before crisis hit. The B & R of the BRICs and the E & S of the CIVETS (Brazil, Russia, Egypt & South Africa) have little meaning to the financial companies that made those lists today. Most institutions have now downgraded those four countries especially the former three.

Developing countries also tend to be more volatile.
If you watch the movie based on real people and true events, "The Big Short," which was based on the financial collapse through the American housing market, Standard and Poor and Moody and its other competitor were essentially selling off their B and triple A ratings in the United States.

So, I don't put as much faith in those asinine ratings as you. I'll find and post two links to clips of the movie dealing with that stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2016, 05:22 PM

Clip 1 about the rating system http://https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I7z8yQGRUzM

Old 08-26-2016, 05:25 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,720,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogburn View Post
If you watch the movie based on real people and true events, "The Big Short," which was based on the financial collapse through the American housing market, Standard and Poor and Moody and its other competitor were essentially selling off their B and triple A ratings in the United States.

So, I don't put as much faith in those asinine ratings as you. I'll find and post two links to clips of the movie dealing with that stuff.
It's not just the credit rating agencies. Those acronyms were actually created by banking institutions like Goldman Sachs and HSBC who have since downgraded operations or even shut up shop in those countries.

Old 08-26-2016, 05:27 PM

Clip 2 at Standard and Poor office. http://https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Kj2W_EqKzuw

Old 08-26-2016, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
It's not just the credit rating agencies. Those acronyms were actually created by banking institutions like Goldman Sachs and HSBC who have since downgraded operations or even shut up shop in those countries.
Clip 1 I think deals with a banker stating they falsely package and repackage financial products they l knowingly regard as junk and during the repackaging give it top A ratins designation.

Old 08-26-2016, 05:46 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,720,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogburn View Post
Clip 1 I think deals with a banker stating they falsely package and repackage financial products they l knowingly regard as junk and during the repackaging give it top A ratins designation.
All banks and financial institutions have their scandal from false liquidity to irresponsible borrowing to LIBOR but when all institutions pull back and the country is in a recession, it's becauses there is a real downgrade.

The US' worst performance during the worst financial crisis since the great depression in the 30's was -2.8%. Brazil on the other hand is registering over -5% contraction of its economy and its sovereign-debt and credit debt is critical.

Old 08-26-2016, 08:49 PM

81 posts, read 183,313 times
I think that most of latin america would be considered 2nd world if that was a category, its not as undeveloped as parts of africa or the middle east or asia, but i don't think its on par with places like Europe etc, (although some parts of major cities could probably pass for first world).

Old 08-26-2016, 10:37 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,396,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
I have been to Haiti- I was young but remember that the poverty was very striking and it was a sad place.
really? What were you doing in Haiti.

I would visit if given the chance.

Old 08-27-2016, 07:02 AM

9,524 posts, read 16,507,823 times
There are areas of the USA that are 3rd World. Some of the homeless tent cities in parts of the West Coast. Regions of the southeast. Right here in Central Florida see it. Trailers barely intact with a tarp for a roof. Junk all over the yard. People living like this just off the road. Food banks and welfare like never before. I'd say 3rd World exists right here but many would barely notice it.

Old 08-27-2016, 07:31 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,182,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
I did a quick search to find a thread on this, but couldn't find one, maybe I missed it but...

I was reading a thread about the Olympics and people kept calling Brazil a Third World country. I visit Brazil frequently and don't view it that way. Anyway, it got me reflecting, but I started thinking maybe it was because I define Third World differently than others. I looked up Third World and realized the definition is complex and a little squishy. So, before you look it up, what does Third World mean to you?
"Third Wordl"? First of all, nowadays it means that an American is doing the talking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas