Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 02:11 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,115,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLivetoEarth View Post
I guess it depends what country you compare, Haiti, Bolivia or Guatemala with the Netherlands or Sweden? there is a world of difference.

But countries like Uruguay, Chile and Argentina are in the same condition or even slighty better than many eastern european nations.
I would have some issues to believe that countries like Argentinia, Uruguay or Chile are in a similar condition like most Eastern European countries. I have never been to South America, but the imagination that those countries are on a similar stage of development like most Eastern European countries seems strange to me.

This Human Development Index is surely questionable, but surely not completely wrong:

1. Norway
2. Netherlands
3. Switzerland
12. Slovenia
14. Czech Republic
19. Slovakia
20. Estonia
25. Hungary
27. Poland
27. United States *** low ranking because of high inequality
31. Lithuania
34. Croatia
35. Belarus *** absurd in my opinion
36. Latvia
37. Montenegro
39. Argentinia *** never thought that
39. Romania
41. Bulgaria
43. Serbia
44. Ukraine *** absurd in my opinion because of the war
45. Uruguay
48. Chile
54. Bosnia and Herzegovina
55. Albania
58. Macedonia
59. Moldova
67. Mexico *** I thought it would be much higher placed.

I think the ranking of the European countries among themselves makes sense (with the exception of Belarus and Ukraine).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 11:26 PM

295 posts, read 245,940 times
To me, third world in most cases, refers to countries that are mostly or 100% located in the lowland tropics or subtropical deserts. These areas tend to have low agricultural output, so they struggle to generate the initial wealth needed to start the industrialization process.

First world = lots of productive farmland, especially for growing grain crops
Ex. United States (Wheat, Corn), France (Wheat), Japan (Rice)

Third world = very limited productive farmland for growing grain crops, rely on imported grain from the First World.
Ex. Egypt (import wheat), Somalia (import rice) etc.

Old 09-07-2016, 06:37 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,397,426 times
Third world mentality = When you come from a third world country and you love to criticize and point out the faults of other poor countries. We see this on the forum all the time.

Old 09-07-2016, 09:30 AM

178 posts, read 184,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Third world mentality = When you come from a third world country and you love to criticize and point out the faults of other poor countries. We see this on the forum all the time.
Really? I've seen that behavior from first world countries, too.

Old 09-07-2016, 11:12 AM

3,282 posts, read 3,791,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Agree 100%😃

Old 09-22-2016, 11:18 AM

990 posts, read 879,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvalens View Post
To me, third world in most cases, refers to countries that are mostly or 100% located in the lowland tropics or subtropical deserts. These areas tend to have low agricultural output, so they struggle to generate the initial wealth needed to start the industrialization process.

First world = lots of productive farmland, especially for growing grain crops
Ex. United States (Wheat, Corn), France (Wheat), Japan (Rice)

Third world = very limited productive farmland for growing grain crops, rely on imported grain from the First World.
Ex. Egypt (import wheat), Somalia (import rice) etc.
Brazil is the second world food producer and Argentina other big one and both third world
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas