Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 07:44 PM

1,212 posts, read 1,432,907 times

Advertisements

I don't get why Curitiba is a first-world city, in a so low income country like Brazil and being one of the most violent cities of the world. Manaus is also among the 50 most violent in the world, not exatly a safe place. Vitória and Brasília, although also very violent have higher IDH. The GDP per capita in Curitiba is about US$10,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2017, 04:49 AM

844 posts, read 1,063,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Top 5 cities...

Bogota

#Bogotá sin retoque
by Calvin, on Flickr

Bogotá
by Graça Vargas, on Flickr

Seminario Mayor de Bogota
by Guillermo Murcia, on Flickr

Medellin

Medellin 8JeDdqX by Pueblo Fuerte, on Flickr

Red Alone
by Julian Castro, on Flickr

Tranvía Medellín by CHAVO CENSURA, on Flickr

Cali

Panorámica de Cali sobre Cristo Rey by Alexander Bedoya, on Flickr

PANORAMICA ERMITA by fanaticoescarlata, on Flickr

Cali Boulevar2 by Orgullode Cali, on Flickr

Barranquilla

Barranquilla Colombia 2. by Juan Felipe Gómez, on Flickr

Norte de Barranquilla by Fernando Orozco, on Flickr

BAQ by Andrés Salazar, on Flickr

Cartagena

Cartagena, Centro de Convenciones y Bocagrande by Juan Carlos Castañeda Alsina, on Flickr

Sky Bar, a melhor vista panorâmica do Centro Histórico de Cartagena by José Nicolas Braga, on Flickr

Punta Arena
by Fredie Obregon, on Flickr

Really nice pictures, I hope I can visit both Cartagena and Bogotá one day.

That being said, do you realize that all over the continent there are trams, ports, mountains, colonial cities and skyscrapers? If you wanted to make a point, I fail to see a clear one here.

Old 06-01-2017, 05:58 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,720,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztecgoddess View Post
Really nice pictures, I hope I can visit both Cartagena and Bogotá one day.

That being said, do you realize that all over the continent there are trams, ports, mountains, colonial cities and skyscrapers? If you wanted to make a point, I fail to see a clear one here.
1. Only 3 countries in South America have trams and hardly any cities actually.

2. Everywhere has colonial towns but not all have colonial cities.

3. The point is a variety of large, distinct urban cities in one country - that's not completely repeated throughout the continent either.

4. Brazil has practically no relevant mountains.

5. I would like to see a 5th city on the continent that competes with Cartagena's skyline - if Cartagena was in Brazil it would have the 2 tallest skyscrapers in the country.

Photos are obviously not going to be enough to get a feel for the cities, the lifestyle, the sub-urban cultures, the climate, the vibe, the nature, the architecture, the working hours, the music, the infrastructure, etc. The only way to truly experience the nuances between the 5 big cities is experiencing them, don't take my word for it, everybody says the same, the following is just one example. Minute 4:40...

Last edited by Pueblofuerte; 06-01-2017 at 06:53 AM..

Old 06-01-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
Guyana and Suriname have quite diverse populations, especially Suriname.
Yep people forget that South Asians make up nearly half of the population of these 2 countries.

Old 06-01-2017, 11:35 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,379,377 times
Yeah seems hard to beat Colombia...they have everything

Old 06-02-2017, 02:24 AM

1,212 posts, read 1,432,907 times
Quote:
4. Brazil has practically no relevant mountains.
Just because you classify them as so?

Like have already been posted, the montain regions of Brazil are bigger than entire countries.

Including the world's biggets monoliths

As weel as the biggest monolith by the sea

Monte Roraima

Aparados da Serra

Serra dos Órgãos

[IMG]
Rio - Teresópolis
by Guilherme Carvalho, on Flickr[/IMG]

Quote:
5. I would like to see a 5th city on the continent that competes with Cartagena's skyline - if Cartagena was in Brazil it would have the 2 tallest skyscrapers in the country.
What about the 15th?

I can say that Colombia doesn't have relevant river archipelagos

Or Falls

Or Wet deserts

Or Hydroelectric plants

Maybe not so many Contemporary Museums

Or Cultural Centers

And the largest Library of Latin America

Or world's biggest joint-stock oil company

Brazil has the 3th largest white population, as well the 2nd largest black population, the lasgest communities of descedents of japaneses, portugueses, italians, lebaneses - among others - of the world. Also the largest biodiversity including the largest number of varied ecossistems in the planet.

Old 06-02-2017, 03:22 AM

Nice standalone monoliths but let's be honest you have nothing like the dozens of Andean cultures from a true mountain lifestyle.

1. Mt. Roraima is actually 85% in Venezuelan territory, 10% in Guyana and 5% in Brazil, but ok I'll give you that it's a nice Tepuy, Colombia also has Tepuis but that does not create anywhere near what a true mountain range creates in terms of cultures and lifestyles both urban and rural.

2. Nice try with Vitoria, the buildings are not even half as tall as in Cartagena, in fact Cartagena's tallest are taller than anything you will find in Sao Paulo or Rio.

3. Colombia has the clash of two of the top 100 rivers which create huge Cienagas in the Caribbean lowlands, it has river archipelagos galore that have created entire civilizations like the Zenu and colonial towns like Mompox (UNESCO world heritage) - again nice try.

The rest doesn't make Brazil more complete you just have it bigger like a bigger oil station or bigger biodiversity (Colombia is 2nd in the world by the way) or a bigger library although something should be mentioned about Colombia's award winning network of libraries and literature nobel laureate. Brazil doesn't even have one Nobel laureate in any discipline. In any case those things are just bigger examples of what Colombia also has in abundance. The point is the most "complete" representation not the biggest.

Old 06-02-2017, 05:21 AM

844 posts, read 1,063,178 times
Mr Falcon, fantastic images as well as very complete picture of what makes Brazil one of the most fascinating, well known and influential countries in the world.

On my bucket list for sure.

Old 06-02-2017, 05:22 AM

990 posts, read 879,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Falcon View Post
I don't get why Curitiba is a first-world city, in a so low income country like Brazil and being one of the most violent cities of the world. Manaus is also among the 50 most violent in the world, not exatly a safe place. Vitória and Brasília, although also very violent have higher IDH. The GDP per capita in Curitiba is about US$10,000.
Cold statistics tell nothing... everybody know cities like Curitiba or Manaus that have drug dealers gangs wars have high homicide rates but it don’t change nothing for the citizen of these cities.

São Paulo has one of the lowest homicide rates in Brazil, I live here and tell that Curitiba and probably Manaus are safer than São Paulo city and middle class is larger in Curitiba than in São Paulo city and middle class here is also big, again, PIB percapita alone means nothing.
Brasilia every Brazilian know only has high PIB percapita because the city is filled of politician and high government employees with high salary but the city doesn’t producing enough for this PIB percapita because this the Brasilia’s neighborhood cities are filled of poverty.

Vitoria is a city that I never been so I don’t know and I prefer don’t opine.

Old 06-02-2017, 05:27 AM

990 posts, read 879,142 times
Quote:
Nice standalone monoliths but let's be honest you have nothing like the dozens of Andean cultures from a true mountain lifestyle.

1. Mt. Roraima is actually 85% in Venezuelan territory, 10% in Guyana and 5% in Brazil, but ok I'll give you that it's a nice Tepuy, Colombia also has Tepuis but that does not create anywhere near what a true mountain range creates in terms of cultures and lifestyles both urban and rural.

2. Nice try with Vitoria, the buildings are not even half as tall as in Cartagena, in fact Cartagena's tallest are taller than anything you will find in Sao Paulo or Rio.

3. Colombia has the clash of two of the top 100 rivers which create huge Cienagas in the Caribbean lowlands, it has river archipelagos galore that have created entire civilizations like the Zenu and colonial towns like Mompox (UNESCO world heritage) - again nice try.

The rest doesn't make Brazil more complete you just have it bigger like a bigger oil station or bigger biodiversity (Colombia is 2nd in the world by the way) or a bigger library although something should be mentioned about Colombia's award winning network of libraries and literature nobel laureate. Brazil doesn't even have one Nobel laureate in any discipline. In any case those things are just bigger examples of what Colombia also has in abundance. The point is the most "complete" representation not the biggest.
Your patriotism and loyalty with Colombia is like the patriotism and loyalty of cariocas like Mr. Falcon with Rio de Janeiro… It does not leave you to analyze impartially
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas