Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 05:43 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,100,891 times

Advertisements

Very good post Mr Falcon...I have Brazil just behind Colombia in this very weird competition but those are excellent images...didn't know about the monoliths
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2017, 05:53 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,723,479 times
I definitely see that Curitiba is in the upper echelon of cities, especially on the continent. The crime rate is lamentable but I don't think anyone would argue that Baltimore or Newark aren't developed cities, they just have some deprived areas.

First world city, perhaps not, but lifestyle-wise I can definitely see it breeching that gap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVANGELISTTI View Post
Your patriotism and loyalty with Colombia is like the patriotism and loyalty of cariocas like Mr. Falcon with Rio de Janeiro… It does not leave you to analyze impartially
I see the facts; Caribbean, Amazon, Andes, Savannah, Pacific; strong LatAm identifiers like Magical Realism in literature, Ancient ruins, music including appropriation from across LatAm & the Caribbean, biodiversity even encompassing the English speaking Caribbean, the only surviving African based language on the continent and many important Native American language groups that exist across the continent.

I think it's you that's guilty of what you accuse me of and not stepping back and seeing the reality.

Old 06-02-2017, 07:12 AM

Another element that's often overlooked is the important horse riding and cowboy cultures of the continent from Huasos to Gauchos to LLaneros.

The LLanos that straddle Colombia and Venezuela are nicknamed the Serengeti of South America, the town of Pore in this region was once in fact the capital of Colombia. Here is where our very own story of "Cowboys and Indians" was played out in history and a crucial element to the independence revolution.

LLANOS

Iconic harp of Joropo music... (some people associate it with Flamenco)

Gonzalo el arpista by Alfonso Giraldo, on Flickr

Joropo
by renataldana, on Flickr

Paso de río by AlcaldiadeYopal, on Flickr

The Savannah...

4395202538_bbbd52a5a2 by Pueblo Fuerte, on Flickr

Búfalos Llaneros by Alexander Bedoya, on Flickr

Vichada Tuparro Tepuye CarolinaH by Pueblo Fuerte, on Flickr

Vichada Tepuye Guacamaya reserva jfonzalez google 9837159 by Pueblo Fuerte, on Flickr

Vichada Cerro Guacamaya googleearth16649633 by Pueblo Fuerte, on Flickr

Evento Llanerazo by AlcaldiadeYopal, on Flickr

Giant Anteater mother and my group of Japanese nature photographers, great moment! Los Llanos May 2013 by Roger Manrique, on Flickr

Jaguar in Los Llanos of Venezuela! - Photo by Roger Manrique by Roger Manrique, on Flickr

Manada chiguiros by Juan Almonacid, on Flickr

Venados by Alfonso Giraldo, on Flickr

Scarlet ibis Eudocimus ruber by Peter van der Giessen, on Flickr

The Sunrises...

Enlazando por la Tarde by Alfonso Giraldo, on Flickr

Gracias Dios by Alfonso Giraldo, on Flickr

The rivers...

cano-cristales-river-in-colombia-at-the-conclusion-of-wet-season-1600x1068 by wilson sanchez, on Flickr

Caño Cristales by Fredy Gómez, on Flickr

Life and Nature in Caño Cristales - 8 by Filippo Manaresi, on Flickr

The Mythology...

Florentino y el Diablo by Marco Parra, on Flickr
El Silbón by Marco Parra, on Flickr
Juan Machete by Marco Parra, on Flickr

The GUAHIBOS...

Untitled by Ro Pinzónc, on Flickr

Cachaceros by Gabriel Rojas, on Flickr

Cuadrillas San Martin by Diego Rojas, on Flickr

Cachaceros en Cuadrillas de San Martín by Gerson Montenegro, on Flickr

Ilustraciones realizadas para el carnaval de la Cuadrilla de San Martín. by Merlin AD, on Flickr

The Architecture...

PUEBLITO LLANERO by Marco Parra, on Flickr

CASITA LLANERA by Marco Parra, on Flickr

Villavicencio Parque Merecure by Pueblo Fuerte, on Flickr

---

Llanotitle by Pueblo Fuerte, on Flickr

Colombo-Venezulan LLanos.

Old 06-02-2017, 07:51 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,100,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
the only surviving African based language on the continent .
An intact language or a creole? Furthermore, I suspect the Maroons of Suriname may have an African based language as well.

Old 06-02-2017, 07:56 AM

990 posts, read 879,420 times
Quote:
I definitely see that Curitiba is in the upper echelon of cities, especially on the continent. The crime rate is lamentable but I don't think anyone would argue that Baltimore or Newark aren't developed cities, they just have some deprived areas.

First world city, perhaps not, but lifestyle-wise I can definitely see it breeching that gap.

I see the facts; Caribbean, Amazon, Andes, Savannah, Pacific; strong LatAm identifiers like Magical Realism in literature, Ancient ruins, music including appropriation from across LatAm & the Caribbean, biodiversity even encompassing the English speaking Caribbean, the only surviving African based language on the continent and many important Native American language groups that exist across the continent.

I think it's you that's guilty of what you accuse me of and not stepping back and seeing the reality.
You are creating by your taste such as Brazil doesn’t have high mountain range, Caribbean sea or Amerindian culture… just appears you only want ‘’help’’ your favorite country win.

I didn’t say Brazil is the most complete country I only show that many of your affirmations are not true.

Old 06-02-2017, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
An intact language or a creole? Furthermore, I suspect the Maroons of Suriname may have an African based language as well.
No its a creole but with a much higher percentage of Bantu than any other creole, hence its UNESCO heritage designated status.

I haven't heard Suriname creole.

Old 06-02-2017, 08:43 AM

Quote:
You are creating by your taste such as Brazil doesn’t have high mountain range, Caribbean sea or Amerindian culture… just appears you only want ‘’help’’ your favorite country win.

I didn’t say Brazil is the most complete country I only show that many of your affirmations are not true.
It's not my own taste this is the reality. These are important LatAm identifiers that Brazil possesses little or nothing of apart from of course Caribbean culture where Bahia-Carioca culture can be considered parallel in various regards.

Old 06-02-2017, 10:01 AM

Interestingly the Joropo folk music from the Llanos has parallels with the Jarocho music from Mexico and the Arpa Paraguaya from Paraguay. This combined with the parallel cowboy cultures like the Gauchos from Brazil & Argentina, Huasos from Chile & Peru, Charros from Mexico plus the Guahibo parallel with the horse riding warrior Apache tribe just shows how many countries can be represented in one Colombian (or in this case Colombo-Venezuelan) regional expression.

And from the open Savannah grasslands as far as Venezuela you can see the Andes in the distance where a very different culture resides. The high Andean plateau of Cundinamarca and Boyaca - a mainly flat plateau the size of Switzerland 2,600 - 3,000 metres up in the air where you find Bogota and Boyaca and the peaks of Cocuy (5,300+ metres high). Very different cultures despite being direct neighbours as close as 30 miles away.

Hato Corozal 84428924 by Pueblo Fuerte, on Flickr

Last edited by Pueblofuerte; 06-02-2017 at 10:10 AM..

Old 06-02-2017, 11:38 AM

1,212 posts, read 1,433,583 times
Quote:
Cold statistics tell nothing...
São Paulo has one of the lowest homicide rates in Brazil, I live here and tell that Curitiba and probably Manaus are safer than São Paulo city

Brasilia’s neighborhood cities are filled of poverty.
Ok. Highest homicides rates of the world means nothing...

As well as Curitiba, Lima, Mexico City, São Paulo and everywhere in Latin America

Quote:
1. Mt. Roraima is actually 85% in Venezuelan territory, 10% in Guyana and 5% in Brazil

The rest doesn't make Brazil more complete you just have... bigger biodiversity (Colombia is 2nd in the world by the way)
I'm very sorry for Colombia

Quote:
Your patriotism and loyalty with Colombia is like the patriotism and loyalty of cariocas like Mr. Falcon with Rio de Janeiro…
Better being "patriot" than have ridiculous issues.
I'm sorry if we don't agree that sleeping for months in temperatures close to zero degrees without heating systems makes a place "developed". We do preffer to sleep from april to october in a temperature around 18°, and be able to enjoy afternoons almost 30°. If this make us "happy" and that annoys you we're sorry.

From november to march some don't have air conditioned, but have fans and the best beaches of the world...

Anyway my intention wasn't to "compete" or to say that other countrys aren't "complete".
I just wanted to controvert ridiculous statements that some of you seems to like to post that are dishonest.

Old 06-02-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Falcon View Post

I'm very sorry for Colombia
Lol that's ok, can't win them all. Biodiversity is a consolation prize for Brazil since you don't have mountains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas