Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 05:20 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,720,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
You raise a number of interesting points.

1. Jaguars can and do eat people, but usually its the sick ones. Apparently other animals have more "meat on their bones" so are tastier. Humans are slow and clumsy so a sick jaguar will settle for us when more agile animals cannot be caught.

2. There is often no correlation between how people look and what ethno-racial identity they adopt. Sometimes a person looking like Michael Manley gets offended if someone suggests that they aren't "black". Another person looking like Will Smith gets very offended if they are called "black". I think maybe its the "outliers" in the social networks. who adopt this. The light skinned person among dark skinned people feeling rejected if not accepted as "black," whereas the dark skinned member of a light skinned family carrying feelings of inferiority about this, so adamant to reject any connection to "blacks". It is indeed a fact that even today being light skinned still brings certain privileges like being automatically assumed to being upper middle class (see below).

3. Yes in fact there was colorism in Trinidad up to the 90s when certain upscale clubs used to "refuse" entrance to dark skinned Indians and blacks. But the Country Club was notorious with its open racism up to at least the late 60s.

The clubs suddenly became "private" or the entrance fees was suddenly exorbitant. I don't think that this happens much now as that "secret" came out and the particular nightclubs were exposed. Given that Trinidadians love to believe that racism and colorism don't exist in that society the guilty parties were truly embarrassed.

This admittance policy became evident when groups consisting of people of different skin hues arrived together with the lighter ones being charged less, or not being told that its a "private event". When asked of course the clubs claimed that they wanted to "keep out undesirables" using skin color as a barometer of socio economic status. Denying of course that skin colorism was involved, but if something happens many times it doesn't take an Einstein to see what was happening.
The 90s!!!!!!

I dont doubt it though.

I had this 2nd cousin that was light skin ....but would most likely be considered black in the usa or canada and she was obsessed with being in a relationship with a syrian or white guy. She would only be attacked to guys that were syrian or portuguese/ spanish descent. I think she had a huge chip on her shoulder. She ending up marrying some Eastern European guy she met while he was on business there. It will be interesting to see how that works out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2017, 06:53 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,183,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
....Does anyone come from a place in the Americas where Santería is openly practices to the point people casually state their religious is Santería when asked? I went to a Santería museum type place in Cuba a long time ago.

Out of all the people I have met over the years to date I have never met someone who openly practices Santería as a religion....
This applies to the 1960's and 1970's in the U.S., but is an indication of what it was like then in my neighborhood.

From 1960 - 1987 I lived in the Upper West Side neighborhood of Manhattan. I lived between Columbus and Amsterdam Aves., and on various streets from W. 81st to W. 76th. This central strip of the UWS in the Sixties was heavily Latino, mostly Puerto Rican, with some Haitians as well, and there was a mixture of older white Americans who had lived there before it became Latino and younger white people like myself who lived there because of the affordable rents.

When I lived on W. 81st there was a botánica on my block, and again in the Seventies when I lived on W. 76th there was one on the corner of the block. There were other between those two. These store sell herbs and such and people who follow folk medicines from the Caribbean used to bring in their "prescriptions" from a curando. They also sell what are ostensibly R.C. religious statues, but these were also used in Santeria as well; thus these stores were tied to the religious practice.

I knew four Latino people in the 1970's who practiced Santeria. There were occasional special ceremonies in the botánica on W. 76. and once in a restaurant on Amsterdam btwn 76th & 75th. The owner of the restaurant and her paramour were two of the four people.

Again in the 70s in this same restaurant there was a ceremony to remove a spirit that possessed a young boy, whether this was a Santeria ceremony or not, I do not know.

And I did meet a woman in a work situation who was unabashedly a believer, and what I took it was a kind of female acolyte in her center. She used to show me photos.

Old 07-16-2017, 07:34 AM

345 posts, read 268,743 times
Ignorant people believe in all kind of crap.
Despojo is some sort of exorcisme practiced by some form of santeria, superstitions and almost all christian religions.
In Cuba, the cult is syncretic, just as Catholics do. some might visit Santa Barbara all call her Ochun, etc, etc.
In some Caribbean Islands they do have churches devoted to their religion.
Just like people did here when christians removed gods and replaced by saints.
Botanica is a shop, now most are franchised, in which people that love all sort of things can buy their stuff, also syncretic, ..Say, just like those market post there were in Spain in which peasants-witches sold healing herbs, enchatments, filters....The same exact thing.
In Cuba it would be impossible to set a differential church as every deity is also a Catholic deity, yemayá-virgen de regla, etc.
But of course, if some Canadian from Torremolinos asks for one, the government will transform a catholic chapel with El Che drinking mate included.
Botanicas are very interesting, there are some in Madrid doing quite well.
Some forms of santeria - or any religion-can be dangerous, palo de monte mainly.

Last edited by papuolo; 07-16-2017 at 07:47 AM..

Old 07-16-2017, 09:05 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,965,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papuolo View Post
Ignorant people believe in all kind of crap.
Despojo is some sort of exorcisme practiced by some form of santeria, superstitions and almost all christian religions.
In Cuba, the cult is syncretic, just as Catholics do. some might visit Santa Barbara all call her Ochun, etc, etc.
In some Caribbean Islands they do have churches devoted to their religion.
Just like people did here when christians removed gods and replaced by saints.
Botanica is a shop, now most are franchised, in which people that love all sort of things can buy their stuff, also syncretic, ..Say, just like those market post there were in Spain in which peasants-witches sold healing herbs, enchatments, filters....The same exact thing.
In Cuba it would be impossible to set a differential church as every deity is also a Catholic deity, yemayá-virgen de regla, etc.
But of course, if some Canadian from Torremolinos asks for one, the government will transform a catholic chapel with El Che drinking mate included.
Botanicas are very interesting, there are some in Madrid doing quite well.
Some forms of santeria - or any religion-can be dangerous, palo de monte mainly.
Why are you calling people ignorant for their religious beliefs? These religions are African, rather pre Christian/pre Islamic African (those two religions entered Africa via colonialism and slavery).

Old 07-16-2017, 10:08 AM

345 posts, read 268,743 times
Kunter

Ignore my posts

Old 07-16-2017, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
This applies to the 1960's and 1970's in the U.S., but is an indication of what it was like then in my neighborhood.
From 1960 - 1987 I lived in the Upper West Side neighborhood of Manhattan. I lived between Columbus and Amsterdam Aves., and on various streets from W. 81st to W. 76th. This central strip of the UWS in the Sixties was heavily Latino, mostly Puerto Rican, with some Haitians as well, and there was a mixture of older white Americans who had lived there before it became Latino and younger white people like myself who lived there because of the affordable rents.

When I lived on W. 81st there was a botánica on my block, and again in the Seventies when I lived on W. 76th there was one on the corner of the block. There were other between those two. These store sell herbs and such and people who follow folk medicines from the Caribbean used to bring in their "prescriptions" from a curando. They also sell what are ostensibly R.C. religious statues, but these were also used in Santeria as well; thus these stores were tied to the religious practice.

I knew four Latino people in the 1970's who practiced Santeria. There were occasional special ceremonies in the botánica on W. 76. and once in a restaurant on Amsterdam btwn 76th & 75th. The owner of the restaurant and her paramour were two of the four people.

Again in the 70s in this same restaurant there was a ceremony to remove a spirit that possessed a young boy, whether this was a Santeria ceremony or not, I do not know.

And I did meet a woman in a work situation who was unabashedly a believer, and what I took it was a kind of female acolyte in her center. She used to show me photos.
Interesting.
I actually do believe that possession is possible and ghosts and demons. There is more information supporting the possibility then to write it all off.

Old 07-17-2017, 05:06 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,531,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papuolo View Post

Many say the same of Christianity as well. The Exorcist movie should inform Catholics that their religion isn't above dabbling with spirits. Certainly it is easy to prove that certain elites have used religion to brainwash impoverished peoples in ways that have been very damaging to them. Ditto with evangelicals who spread the notion of "its God's Will" which has damaged the psyche of many poor believers in getting agency in their own lives to overcome their problems. And certainly certain Christian denominations have OPENLY instigated the attempted murder of gays in places like Jamaica, Nigeria and Uganda.

So its very hypocritical of certain Christians to attack these traditional religions when Christianity can be similarly indicted.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:46 PM

15,064 posts, read 6,168,768 times
Yes, various versions of Orisha religion exist in different places in the Americas, as already pointed out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Regarding the clip from Trinidad. It is likely because my family is from the capital and was "Very Catholic " with limited Afro Caribbean heritage .... but never seen anything like this or heard about this and this is and Island and not a big country. Interesting. When going to other parts of Trinidad when last their ex the south it was Really different then the parts of Trinidad I was use to. Really different.
It's definitely there. It is alive and well in the areas of Port of Spain, right in the capital. In Trinidad, the orisha religion is called Shango. It has strong origins in the Yoruba ethnic group of West Africa and the Yoruba settlements in Trinidad specifically retained the religion while mixing with Catholicism. Yoruba Village was what is now Laventille, East Dry River and Belmont. There were also settlements in South. A small minority has retained a bit of the Yoruba language as well.

My mother's side is Yoruba, from Laventille/East Dry River and my grandmother was/is a practitioner to a degree, though also a strong Catholic.

If you listen to soca/calypso, certain artists will incorporate aspects of Shango. David Rudder, for example, has called to "Elegba" to "open the gate." As mentioned, Singing Sandra incorporates the influence.
And Ella Andall is the Orisha songstress...

Last edited by ReineDeCoeur; 07-17-2017 at 09:16 PM..

Old 07-17-2017, 09:09 PM

Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Many say the same of Christianity as well. The Exorcist movie should inform Catholics that their religion isn't above dabbling with spirits. Certainly it is easy to prove that certain elites have used religion to brainwash impoverished peoples in ways that have been very damaging to them. Ditto with evangelicals who spread the notion of "its God's Will" which has damaged the psyche of many poor believers in getting agency in their own lives to overcome their problems. And certainly certain Christian denominations have OPENLY instigated the attempted murder of gays in places like Jamaica, Nigeria and Uganda.

So its very hypocritical of certain Christians to attack these traditional religions when Christianity can be similarly indicted.
I think all religious are pretty nonsensical, but people are born in to them or find meaning in a certain one start to turn a blind eye to the controverisal stuff eventually.

Nothing about life or existence makes sense .... so why place so much energy trying to prove stuff.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Yes, various versions of Orisha religion exist in different places in the Americas, as already pointed out.

It's definitely there. It is alive and well in the areas of Port of Spain, right in the capital. In Trinidad, the orisha religion is called Shango. It has strong origins in the Yoruba ethnic group of West Africa and the Yoruba settlements in Trinidad, specifically retained the religion while mixing with Catholicism. Yoruba Village was what is now Laventille, East Dry River and Belmont. There were also settlements in South. A small minority has retained a bit of the Yoruba language as well.

My mother's side is Yoruba, from Laventille/East Dry River and my grandmother was/is a practitioner to a degree, though also a strong Catholic.

If you listen to soca/calypso, certain artists will incorporate aspects of Shango. David Rudder, for example, has called to "Elegba" to "open the gate."
Ella Andall is the Orisha songstress...
I have heard of these places. But no one in my family would be going to Laventille. When I was there I was warned not even to drive down roads that lead to that area. How real the danger is I really dont know. But being realistic my family memebers all went to Catholic Schools and it did not seem like they associated with too many other people that did not come from similar demographics until meeting other Trinidadian people once in Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas