Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 11:04 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,965,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
I'm not sure why you seem to think Orishas exist in every religion. And none of the aforementioned religions (many would not even called these practices religions, especially Obeah) are practiced by a majority of people in their nations of origin so that is a moot point.

There is no "essentially", Louisiana voodoo and Hoodoo exist. Therefore your last statement is wrong.
First of all, are you an AA?

Most African Americans do not live in Lousiana.

Throughout all of pre Christian Africa, you had a multitude of gods and goddesses, and the ceremonies to honor them, down to the vocabulary was much better preserved in Latin America and the Caribbean as a whole.

It was not preserved in the US, outside of isolated populations. Voodoo and hoodoo are not apart of African American religion or culture as a WHOLE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 11:31 AM

15,064 posts, read 6,168,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post

Throughout all of pre Christian Africa, you had a multitude of gods and goddesses, and the ceremonies to honor them, down to the vocabulary was much better preserved in Latin America and the Caribbean as a whole.

It was not preserved in the US, outside of isolated populations. Voodoo and hoodoo are not apart of African American religion or culture as a WHOLE.
Well, Orisha practices aren't necessarily a part of the religion/culture as a whole in the majority of Afro-Latino and Afro-Caribbean cultures either. Usually some people maintain the religion but the majority do not.

Yes, it is better preserved in Latin America and the Caribbean but still, there is African-based religion among AAs.

Old 07-25-2017, 12:08 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,531,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Well, Orisha practices aren't necessarily a part of the religion/culture as a whole in the majority of Afro-Latino and Afro-Caribbean cultures either. Usually some people maintain the religion but the majority do not.

Yes, it is better preserved in Latin America and the Caribbean but still, there is African-based religion among AAs.
There is a continuum. In the first place all over the Americas African cultures and especially African religions were punished. Given the emphasis of Catholics and saints and given the specific characteristics that each saint possessed it was easier to "hide" the African religions in countries where Catholicism was practiced widely. Each African deity has a Catholic equivalent and for a reason.

In the protestant societies where there was less emphasis of saints the religions couldn't hide as easily. What happened was that the slaves and their descendants incorporated elements of African style in how they worshipped. In the Caribbean it was more explicitly "African" with the use of drums in Kumina, etc.

Trinidad, both Catholic, but also a British colony, we see two variants. The more openly practiced Baptists, and the more secretive Orishas. This is why most middle class Trinidadians express shock that there are actually people in Trinidad who practice rituals in Yoruba.

But even in the USA where it wasn't explicitly African I think that to claim that there are no African influences is inaccurate. AAs and white Americans worship differently. There is a reason for that.

Old 07-25-2017, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
There is a continuum. In the first place all over the Americas African cultures and especially African religions were punished. Given the emphasis of Catholics and saints and given the specific characteristics that each saint possessed it was easier to "hide" the African religions in countries where Catholicism was practiced widely. Each African deity has a Catholic equivalent and for a reason.

In the protestant societies where there was less emphasis of saints the religions couldn't hide as easily. What happened was that the slaves and their descendants incorporated elements of African style in how they worshipped. In the Caribbean it was more explicitly "African" with the use of drums in Kumina, etc.

Trinidad, both Catholic, but also a British colony, we see two variants. The more openly practiced Baptists, and the more secretive Orishas. This is why most middle class Trinidadians express shock that there are actually people in Trinidad who practice rituals in Yoruba.

But even in the USA where it wasn't explicitly African I think that to claim that there are no African influences is inaccurate. AAs and white Americans worship differently. There is a reason for that.
Very well explained.

Old 07-25-2017, 07:53 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,720,754 times
Default .......

I have beeen listening to these old Trinidadian songs. Not they were ones I knew or heard when growing up and talk about hiding these other relgions in regular life.

It is also reminding me that lot of these terms relating to these religion I heard, but did not really understand what they were talking about. I also forget sometimes how some Trini expressions are a mix of french, spanish and lanuages spoken in Africa. Many of the cultural foods my mom's side makes have spanish names and the ingredients are usually referred to by spanish names even though there are English names for the ingredients.

Now to think about it I always recall people that my family knew in Port of Spain always sounding very apprehension or uncomfortably about more Afro Caribbean people from outside the city and comments anount obeah where often in the context of the conversation. The phrase watch out before some obeah man put a curse on you use to be a frequent comment thrown around.

I really want to ask different generations of my family about this lol.
I serious thought tbis stuff was just said to scare kids in to going to bed. Never thought there were actually religions relating to these things.

Old 07-26-2017, 07:01 AM

2,750 posts, read 2,416,543 times
Quote:

Your argument is all over the place and full of straw men fallacies. Maybe you should study your own history and culture.

I could easily say Jamaica has no African based religious practices since Kumina and obeah aren't practiced as s WHOLE. Would I be correct?

Old 07-26-2017, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
Your argument is all over the place and full of straw men fallacies. Maybe you should study your own history and culture.

I could easily say Jamaica has no African based religious practices since Kumina and obeah aren't practiced as s WHOLE. Would I be correct?
No need for me to study something I grew up in. There is no African influence in the vast majority of African American churches or practices.

Old 07-26-2017, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post

Not among the mainstream of AAs there isn't.

Old 07-27-2017, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Not among the mainstream of AAs there isn't.
But it still exists among AAs. It's not among the mainstream in most of Latin America and Caribbean either but it exists.

Old 07-28-2017, 12:04 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,531,661 times
Quote:
No need for me to study something I grew up in. .
Maybe you ought to seriously examine that culture that you grew up in as you seem to think that its origins are in Ireland and that is all that it has.

No one is saying that African religion is practiced among AAs. We are saying that there are influences inspired from an African heritage that inform the way that some AAs practice their Christianity.

All of that rhythm and soulful singing and "call and response" isn't British. In fact this behavior in church will be considered sacrilegious by most European origin people. Please go to an Episcopalian or Catholic or Presbyterian service if you disagree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas