Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2020, 05:42 PM

10,244 posts, read 15,117,623 times

Advertisements

Carnival being of African origin is a common mistake in the Caribbean too. I don't know what's the origin of this. A quick look at the history of carnival reveals that Europe is a big part of its origin. Obviously it gain different influences once the Europeans brought it with them to different parts in the Americas, but to say its an African celebration is quite a stretch.

I think that's part of the beauty of it, people from different origins take part and add influences of their own. The same happens with many other cultural expressions. In this case, a European celebration isn't only for Europeans, but rather for everybody. Sounds good to me.

Old 09-26-2020, 11:03 PM

10,244 posts, read 15,117,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsura View Post
One drop rule is very accepted in the world because come from United States. All thing from United States is the "true". Brazil have american one drop rule today. Brazil copied the American one drop rule to sell that Brazil is the blackest country in the world outside of Africa. The most that will happen is people if one day visit Brazil to see that Brazil is not only black. Some people claim desesperately Brazil "blackness". Or many documentaries who say we are a Black country. Or some African Americans so angry "brazilians deny their blackness". I don't undersdant why does some people care so much about Brazil racial demography. Some documentaries "Brazil blackness" "Brazil black identify". I want to say leave Brazil alone. Why does so commotion with the slogan "Black country". The majority of Black countries are poor. Why does is the hit? Uh Black country, Black country.
I stop reading on the second affirmation because its not true at all. A perfect example is the "one-drop-rule" itself. There is a reason why its usually Americans that are shocked to realize that elsewhere in the world things aren't like they thought at first. Take South Africa as an example. There's no such thing as 'coloured' in the USA, but there is in SA. Whoops! That is simply one example of many.

That affirmation reminds me of this (in fact, your entire post reminds me of this):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avyAsJO5ZV8

The US is a great country, but there are certain things that it isn't and no amount of repeating them will make them true. All it takes is to travel a bit outside the US and many aspects of American exceptionalism basically disappears. I don't mean going to say some resort in Cancun, spending the days on the beach and the nights partying in town, maybe one or two afternoons shopping and eating at some off property restaurant, and then return to the US and fill their mouths that they have been to Mexico. Well, technically yes, but...

Old 09-27-2020, 04:22 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,204,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Carnival being of African origin is a common mistake in the Caribbean too. I don't know what's the origin of this. A quick look at the history of carnival reveals that Europe is a big part of its origin. Obviously it gain different influences once the Europeans brought it with them to different parts in the Americas, but to say its an African celebration is quite a stretch.

I think that's part of the beauty of it, people from different origins take part and add influences of their own. The same happens with many other cultural expressions. In this case, a European celebration isn't only for Europeans, but rather for everybody. Sounds good to me.
In the Caribbean, people recognize all the influences in Carnival.

Well, perhaps where you are in the DR, it’s different. Can’t speak for them.

Old 10-16-2020, 01:37 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,570,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samishiba View Post
When you show the country of others you have to study the culture first. You can't go out and say what you want. If because i admire Candomblé ( afro brazilian religion) i say that is a predominant religion when the majority of the population is catholic. Or like pan africanists sites who say that in Brazil 80% of the population is black. When categorized Brazil a "African nation". Not wrong with admire african brazilian culture. But say lies and wrong information is ridiculous. When african culture is a important part of brazilian culture. But is not the only. The media of white countries is so biased and stupid. Portrays mexicans a brown, when shows third world countries only shows the dark ones, when shows Índia only horrible places and dark people, Bangladesh slums and dark people, Brazil slums and dark people or mulatoes. United States a huge porcentage of the country is fat only have skinny, blonde, beautiful actors. White countries are ridiculous
Listen guy its not our fault that white Brazilians are boring as hell so we notice only the black ones and travel only to places with large black/mixed populations like Rio or Salvador. Its not our fault that no one wants to visit Porto Alegre or to that part of Brazil where descendants of Confederate refugee and Nazis live.

So cease wailing and understand that the world laughs at Brazil when it tries to pretend as if its all about Gisele.

Old 10-16-2020, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post

On this topic. Which carnivals do people prefer. The ones in Germany and France (if they even have it there) or the ones in New Orleans, the Caribbean and Brazil.

Yes Carnival is of Catholic origin but its the people of Afro descent who gave it flavor!

I know some white Brazilians, like the current president, are disgusted by images of Rio/Salvador carnival in all its "blackness" and wish that we focus instead on Oktoberfest in Santa Catarina state, but seriously!!!!!!

Old 10-16-2020, 02:03 PM

Quote:
so angry "brazilians deny their blackness". I don't undersdant why does some people care so much about Brazil racial demography. Some documentaries "Brazil blackness" "Brazil black identify". I want to say leave Brazil alone. Why does so commotion with the slogan "Black country". The majority of Black countries are poor. Why does is the hit? Uh Black country, Black country.
In fact many Brazilians are "angry" that so many deny their "blackness", so leave black Americans out of this. The vast majority spend no time thinking about Brazil, and when they do see images of it in your Covid pandemic crisis the only black person that they see any where near your president is his security guard.

Just about the only time we see Brazil in US media is about the pandemic crisis in that nation.

Brazil has an internal civil war between those who still fool themselves that it is a "racial paradise" and others who think that racism is a serious problem that needs to be dealt with. Black is used as short hand for "black and brown". The two are combined (so I am told) because in Brazil the two have similar socio economic issues, and given that Brazil isnt binary as was the USA (it no longer is) and so determining who is or isnt "black" is hard the two are combined. At most 20% of Brazilians would be "black" if being "black" wasnt seen as being such a stigma to be avoided. But that is still loads of people.

I will suggest to you that given that as many as 20% of Brazilians might be "black" (very visible Afro origins) this still makes Brazil the nation with the 2nd largest black population outside of Africa. So my question will be why do we hear so little from black Brazilians themselves. Why are they so invisible? Why do we almost never hear their voices, or see them portrayed outside the contexts of carnaval, football and Candomble?

Why doesnt Brazil portray its "legions" of black managers, professionals and business owners. The USA certainly does. Long gone is that singular narrative of blacks and the ghetto

Old 10-16-2020, 02:06 PM

Quote:
These vídeos don't represent Brazil population also. Because Brazil is not a full Black country! White overrepresented is wrong
Only Black brazilians also. Salvador have Whites, Asians, blacks, Brown
Full Black audience don't represent Brazil because Brazil is not a 100% Black country
Both are wrong. Only white or only black
So show us a restaurant filled with black professionals.

It has already been established that the world thinks white Brazilians are no more interesting than Mongolians, so they arent going to be portrayed.

Old 10-17-2020, 04:36 PM

630 posts, read 528,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
So show us a restaurant filled with black professionals.

It has already been established that the world thinks white Brazilians are no more interesting than Mongolians, so they arent going to be portrayed.
Blowing out someone else's candle won't make yours shine any brighter.

Old 10-23-2020, 01:28 PM

4,004 posts, read 6,842,189 times
Hello... Hi... What are you talking about in this thread?

I'm the typical brown skinned Brazilian with clear indigenous (Amerindian) ancestry, as well as African and Iberian ancestry... More than 60% of Brazilians are like me in terms of ancestry... We are the 60 percent.

Brazil is very different of the USA in terms of ancestry. American race categories make no sense at all when applied to Brazilian population.

Old 10-24-2020, 04:47 AM

125 posts, read 122,817 times
Brazil gets next to no coverage in the USA, Brazilian culture is not big here, hardly any restaurants, Português is spoken by hardly any Americans, and I don’t think anyone considers it an African dominated place. I’ve spent more time in Brazil than most and have a lot of knowledge on this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas