Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2020, 06:11 AM

1,005 posts, read 886,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
It doesnt all look like Flori, Sao Paulo, Goiania either. The deniable point that Brazil is much darker than its projected images in the media portray it to be are lost on any of you trying to state otherwise. Its borderline obtuse to keep trying to push that narrative when the proof is evident. Globo, Conde Naste, Rede, etc all perpetuate a "white" brazilian beauty in the media. Which is how most people get their POV of the country. From what they see...

To try and continuously push the narrative that all documentorial or media coverage of Brazil has been to push its "blackness" is absurd. Those media representations in the modern era have been done so to actually show the diversity and belive it or not, blackness of the country.

As far as na favela, there are Brasileiros of all shades depending on which favela. Santa Marta looks a bit different from Mangueira just for example. Samba is Afro Brazilian at its core and most of the Samba school are in favelas which just so happen to be darker than the upper middle class areas. I mean what point are you trying to make?

Some people may stereotype some things about all countries, but the narrative was always a whiter Brazil so you cant get mad when the pendelum actually starts to correct itself and swing in the other direction
One fourth Brazilians are paulistas (from Sao Paulo state) 1 in 4 and only 1 in 20 brazilians are from Rio de Janeiro state. 1 in 6 brazilians are from south Brazil. So you have to understand Rio de Janeiro is not that representative of what is Brazil.

Center-south Brazil is the mainstream Brazil.

I agree that the really blacks and mulattos looking people should have more representative in media and high position in Brazil because they are any way a lot, but understand they are few out the coastal Brazil from Rio de Janeiro up to until Pernambuco. The foreigner who don’t have idea of the Brazilian demographic gets wrong idea.

In inner Brazil we will find more whites 60, 70, or 80% depending of the place and the rest of % are still most pardos (mixed people overhelming white) who are included as ‘’black people’’ they are a lot in high position and media.
So my point is that Brazil has its problems with lack of representativeness of black people but here is not the case of hiding them or one apartheid or colonial system where a small white minority control the country and segregates the huge dark majority people.

Old 12-11-2020, 08:05 PM

10,166 posts, read 15,040,014 times
Something similar happens with the DR, but I'm not losing any sleep over this and neither anyone else. As far as I'm concerned, Dominicans come in every color and shape and all are equally Dominicans. Plus its meaning is right on the flag, that large cross that "keeps" all parts of the flag together means the union of all the races and colors of the Dominican people and that was created in the middle of the 19th century! But people say some things that are funny.

One time I even read in this very forum someone say "the Dominicans are just as dark as the Haitians." I had to chuckle at that. Many certainly are and there are areas that on average are basically as dark as the neighbors (and most of these are Dominicans since colonial times, not descendants of relatively recent migrants or migrants themselves unlike in certain other areas of the DR), but even dark Dominicans on average are lighter than the typical Haitian. That is simply the way it is. Its certainly a mulatto nation and it shows just about everywhere. I just assume they have never been to Haiti, because the "mulattoness" of the typical Dominican becomes very obvious when you return from Haiti to either Santo Domingo or Santiago by simply looking around. Its also relatively rare for a Dominican family (extended families) to not have every color and features possible simply due to the widespread mixture that has been going on for centuries. A family reunion or family party very quickly makes this obvious. In fact its so common that it doesn't raises any eyebrows, but in the US it causes either surprise or excitement by certain people.

With that said, the typical Dominican is darker than the typical Brazilian, even in regions of Brazil that supposedly are among the darkest (take Bahia as an example, that's considered by many to be the most African influenced big city of Brazil and on average its still lighter than the DR).

Last edited by AntonioR; 12-11-2020 at 08:26 PM..

Old 12-14-2020, 07:55 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,247,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samishiba View Post
Some people think that for example. If i see a documentary about África with poverty. I assume all Africans live in poverty. If i see a documentary about Amazonia. Probably all Brazil look like Amazonia. If the media says Jair Bolsonaro ( Brazil president) is a monster. Jair Bolsonaro is a monster. Don't have sense.
OPA!!!!!! Dude, you basically just reiterated and supported the argument AGAINST all of your posts. People have been trying to tell you that historically the image of Brazil and its standard of beauty projected to people outside of the Country thru the media was a white Brazil.

So just as your logic states, if the documentaries and media coverage show a white Brazil only...Ipenam, Copa, Brasilia for example...then most people who do not travel or study the world will believe that the country looks like what they see on TV. That is the point you just make above!!!

YOUR problem irmao, is that you dont like the fact that other documentaries and images of Brazil are now more popular.

And yes, some people are IGNORANT to the facts of other countries if they have never been. But please do not call people stupid......I live in Brazil irmao and there is no excuse for a Brazilian to call anyone else stupid when Brasileiros believe in muito stereotypes tambem!!!

Do not be mad that the media is trying to balance out the coverage of all people of Brazil dude. The Brazilian media would have you think that all favelados are bad...this is a lie!

So @Samishiba, i have a question....if you think now that media is only wanting to show black brasileiros how do you explain that GLOBO have issue with preto Globeleza? Remember just few years ago Nayara Justino amigo??

Old 12-15-2020, 08:18 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
Quote:
I don't talk about Brazil. Many Brazilian people are ignorant about other countries. Ignorant people exist in all countries. I only say that many people from the most rich countries in the world are so ignorant. I don't generalize all Americans or all people from rich countries. I only say "some". Not all.
Blá Blá Blá i don't care about the opinion of U.S about Brazil
I only became angry when Americans say lies about Brazil. Like African religion candomblé is most popular Brazil religion.
Or Salvador de Bahia (the most African city) is the real Brazil.
@samishiba, I am American, preto Americano living in Brazil. I never hear any American who think Candomble is most popular religion in Brazil. And my fiance here in Rio was born in Salvador...she practice Candomble.....it is known most Brazilians are christian. I agree if someone think Candomble is largest religion they are wrong.

Ignorant people from everywhere. But as someone who grew up in America and travelled to Brazil for almost 15 years before coming to live, the image of Brazil in media was never black Brazil. That is a fact.

Old 12-15-2020, 08:27 PM

Quote:
I just bother with adulation about Afro Brazilians. Don't have documentaries about Italian culture, Japanese culture, gypsy culture in Brazil.
Is always slums
Slums of Rio de Janeiro
Food of slums of Rio de janeiro
Videoclips mulattas of Rio de Janeiro in bikini
Or Salvador with capoeira
Candomblé ( minority religion in Brazil)
Rio de Janeiro/Salvador.
Amazonia also
I see dcumentaries the opposite. Depends where you look. I see many documentaries about Brazilian government bringing Japanese to Brazil...that help create Brazilian Jui Jitsu....about Brazilian German culture as well.

I agree there is a fascination sometimes with favelas by foreigners. But think about it....Brazilian media cast image that all slums are bad and all favelados are bad. That favela is horrible. That is a lie. Some people make documentaries to try and show the world that what they hear and see is not all true in Brazilian media.

People intersted in Brazilian food...feijoada, etc...so many videos about this. Why issue?

Documentaries about Bahia sometimes show Candomble. But many people didnt know about Bahia so its popular to discuss now.

Old 12-15-2020, 11:07 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,193,171 times
Quote:
@samishiba, I am American, preto Americano living in Brazil. I never hear any American who think Candomble is most popular religion in Brazil. And my fiance here in Rio was born in Salvador...she practice Candomble.....it is known most Brazilians are christian. I agree if someone think Candomble is largest religion they are wrong.

Ignorant people from everywhere. But as someone who grew up in America and travelled to Brazil for almost 15 years before coming to live, the image of Brazil in media was never black Brazil. That is a fact.
Exactly. He’s lying and just wants to keep this thread alive to push his narrative.

Old 12-16-2020, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Ok. Slums are horrible. Is a sign of a country failure. Is a shame a rich city Like Rio de Janeiro with many people in extreme poverty. But Brazil enjoy portrays slums a postcard of the country. Brazil are so proud of slums and poverty.
Unfortunately when many American celebrities travel for Brazil. Brazil shows the most horrible places. Is a negative marketing like Africa.

the person who has clarity of information, has at his disposal, one thing and another and makes his own judgment
So irmao, is your problem with Brazilian media then? Because American media does not portray favelas....

Old 12-16-2020, 10:36 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,554,679 times
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/do-bl...hi_1_b_8649446

And a Latino explains why some here get heart attacks when darker Latin Americans are visible.

Old 12-16-2020, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/do-bl...hi_1_b_8649446

And a Latino explains why some here get heart attacks when darker Latin Americans are visible.
Hold on......they'll say he has been "Americanized"....

Old 12-16-2020, 12:28 PM

3,864 posts, read 2,237,116 times
Quote:
But as someone who grew up in America and travelled to Brazil for almost 15 years before coming to live, the image of Brazil in media was never black Brazil. That is a fact.
There is no image of Brazil in American media. Brazil is a little-known country in the United States. Americans don't talk about Brazil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas