Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 05:47 PM

10,110 posts, read 14,985,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
To think Hispaniola has 22 million people already, undoubtedly there will be population and migration strains especially when one country has epically failed its people economically. Its a complicated issue for sure!
That’s the real issue. One part of the island want to prevent becoming like the other part, while that other part truly has nothing to loose.

Hispaniola is already the most populated island in the Western Hemisphere and growing, with the worsed off part multiplying at a faster rate than the better off part with no reasonable prospect of increasing the material well being of the worsed off part.

The funny part is that most of the people that are asking for the DR to be sacrificed aren’t planning to move to the island any time soon. You can also bet that if the DR was to become as failed as Haiti, they would definitely not move there and maybe no visit either (if we use Haiti as an example, it’s already one of the least visited countries in the world and the reason is its tragic situation). They will continue with their comfortable lives somewhere in the USA with the luxury of putting out of sight and out of mind the catasytrophe they supported for Hispaniola. Those that live on the island don’t have that luxury.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2018, 05:55 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,245,192 times
Like where are people asking for the DR to be sacrificed?

I think people are just trying to appal to her humaneness.....just as other countries do when they accept Dominicanos into their population.......

Old 11-04-2018, 06:02 PM

19 posts, read 18,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
Bingo. Now we´re getting somewhere. Please find for me in any of my posts where I said, ¨Gosh, I wish you Dominicans would just love and accept yourselves racially the way African-Americans do¨. This seems to be a big problem in many Afro communities across the board.

Do you take exception to the article written in the Dominican Republic which clearly lays out the denial of one´s own background? You can´t seem to make up your mind about this, if my comments are completely ridiculous and growing in stupidity with every post, or if the defense is, ¨well...other countries do it too!!
Did you even bother to read that lame yellow press article you posted? Are you that lazy that you posted this crap without even checking what it actually says? That article contradicts most of what you claim here. It shows actual quotes of people referring to themselves as negros. Nowhere in this article does it show any examples of blacks in this country denying or being ignorant of their own African ancestry, except in the click-bait title. In fact 90% of this article is about the common practice of black women straightening their hair, at least women here don't wear horse tails like the blacks in the USA. lol Talk about some real self-hate, blacks in the USA would rather wear a wild animals hair than their own natural hair.

Now the article also talks about some blacks in DR being denied access into upscale establishments for wearing their hair naturally. So it's more about people being discriminated against rather than blacks being ignorant of their own ancestry. The only time it mentions anything about that outdated "indio" label is in reference to cedulas, yet most cedulas in DR don't even have racial categories anymore. Nowhere in this article does it cite a real example of black people actually thinking that they're "indios". The most common racial terms in DR are rubio, blanco, trigueno, moreno, and NEGRO.

All these quotes from the article contradict your claims.

“Me dijo que el pelo rizo no es un pelo formal, que es un pelo de playa”, comenta entre risas Veloz.

“íPero lo peor de todo es que él es negro, como yo! y se los recorta al ras porque lo tiene crespo”. Pero no todo mundo coincide que el alaciado del cabello tiene tintes racistas.

“Los moños (los rizos apretados) son difíciles de peinar; ¿tú sabes lo que duele pasar el peine?”, explicó María Cándido, una joven de ascendencia haitiana que, pese a la pobreza y marginación del poblado donde vive, se alisa el cabello una vez al mes.

La estilista profesional Yoly Reyes, quien desde los 15 años se alisa el cabello, reconoce que “soy negra y no por alaciarme el pelo voy a dejar de serlo, pero creo que con el pelo lacio me veo más bonita”.

Reyes cuestiona: “¿Cuándo tú has visto a la esposa de Obama con el cabello crespo? No creo que ella se lo alise para dejar de ser negra”.

Old 11-04-2018, 06:05 PM

10,110 posts, read 14,985,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
Like where are people asking for the DR to be sacrificed?

I think people are just trying to appal to her humaneness.....just as other countries do when they accept Dominicanos into their population.......
The DR already has one of the largest Haitian migrant community in the world, with only the USA (which has hundreds of millions of people and millions of square miles and wealthier than most countries) having more. To want the DR to accept even more than what it already has, taking into account it isn’t a giant country and doesn’t have the resource to take up that task even if it wanted to, is precisely asking the DR to be sacrificed so certain people in the USA can feel better about themselves.

Those people are not focusing their attention and efforts to solving a problem such as this:

Instead they devote their energy to demonizing the Dominicans as if shaming those people into accepting an ever growing flow of Haitians is the solution to Haiti’s problems. In case anyone hasn’t noticed, Dominicans had nothing to do with the creation of Haiti’s problems.

Please go to a public hospital in the DR that is overflowed by illegal Haitian immigrants and tell the Dominicans that have to literally be attended on the floor and on sidewalks that they just need to accept the Haitian problem as their own and that DR should let in even more Haitians. You have to see this in person to fully understand it.

In the USA people complain about illegals using public hospital services, but you fall into the need of emergency medical care and everywhere in the US public hospitals there are beds for you, medicine for you, you are treated with the dignity that can be afforded when the resources are abundantly available. That isn’t always the case in Dominican public hospitals filled with people that shouldn’t be there to begin with.

Old 11-04-2018, 06:06 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,036,540 times
Then there´s this:

¨Bautista y Morel son integrantes del grupo teatral “Arbol Maravilloso” que visita escuelas de barrios populares con su campaña “A la escuela voy como yo soy” con el objetivo de combatir el racismo y que los niños sientan orgullo del origen negro de la mayoría de la población dominicana que, pese a sus características mulatas, tiende a describir el cabello crespo como ´pelo malo´ y a negar su condición de afrodescendiente.¨

Do we stop there?

Es una tarea ímproba en un país donde los documentos oficiales que incluyen la raza o color de piel, como la cédula de identidad, clasifican a los negros y los mulatos con una “I”, de indio, e incluso con denominaciones más detalladas como “indio-claro”, “indio-oscuro” o “indio lavado”, pero muy pocas veces como negro.

Aunque alrededor del 80% de los 10 millones de habitantes de este país caribeño son mulatos, con una gama de tonos de piel que va desde trigueña hasta muy oscura y con predominancia del cabello crespo y grueso, los dominicanos se autodefinen en su mayoría como “indios” con “pelo malo”.

I think you get the picture. I love what is TRYING to be accomplished in this article. But the conditions are such that they have to go and work on it.

Should I keep going...?

Los niños mulatos, que conforman la gran masa popular, “crecen avergonzados de sus rasgos físicos, su color de piel y su tipo de cabello” debido a una larga tradición que niega la negritud y la disfraza con eufemismos y tratamientos estéticos, dijo Morel.

I´m pretty sure I read this. Listen, this is an issue in the DR. It´s ok though. There´s no need to get SO defensive, all countries have a great deal of shortcomings, and borders tend to cause problems between neighbors.

There´s no need to attack African-American women out of spite or insecurity either. Your character is showing, and it doesn´t look good.

Last edited by aab7855; 11-04-2018 at 06:16 PM..

Old 11-04-2018, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Then there´s this:
You still can't post a single quote of some negro in the article actually calling themselves "indio". It's like the people that wrote this garbage article are saying "ah look at these poor negros, they think they're indios," but then when they actually do interviews on these people, they all refer to themselves as black/NEGRO. That's basically the whole article right there.

Old 11-04-2018, 06:21 PM

Quote:

Why do you keep editing your posts? Now you're just posting anything that pops in your two digit IQ head?

Old 11-04-2018, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Instead they devote their energy to demonizing the Dominicans as if shaming those people into accepting an ever growing flow of Haitians is the solution to Haiti’s problems. In case anyone hasn’t noticed, Dominicans had nothing to do with the creation of Haiti’s problems.
Good point. Ya boy in the original post copied and pasted an idea from the US and applied it to this. I think I will do the same, if I may. Remember the ¨Dreamers¨ in the USA? People who were well-acclimated to life there, law-abiding citizens who love the USA and just want their situation normalized? What if the govt in Santo Domingo could identify the Haitian equivalent of that, and at least guarantee them citizenship and rights? I don´t think it would hurt anyone.

Old 11-04-2018, 06:25 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,730,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banilejo View Post
You still can't post a single quote of some negro in the article actually calling themselves "indio". It's like the people that wrote this garbage article are saying "ah look at these poor negros, they think they're indios," but then when they actually do interviews on these people, they all refer to themselves as black/NEGRO. That's basically the whole article right there.
I actually have first hand experience of Dominicans with evident African descent calling themselves "indio" and denying any black heritage. To be fair this was over 10 years ago during my long-stays in New York with my Dominican friends. The Afro-Latino movement has moved on from then and Dominicans are beginning to self-educate away from the cultural status quo taught in schools and at home but it definitely was and still is an issue.

Old 11-04-2018, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banilejo View Post
Why do you keep editing your posts? Now you're just posting anything that pops in your two digit IQ head?
It´s ok to feel insecure, and belittle others as a result.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas