Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2019, 05:21 PM

35,016 posts, read 16,972,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Anyone that has seen them would know that it includes images of what was written and not a re-typed quotes. Like I suggested previously, the search function is quite wonderful.
You understand exactly what I want; to know if your posting is original material. I have a legal right to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2019, 05:26 PM

10,067 posts, read 14,940,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
You understand exactly what I want; to know if your posting is original material. I have a legal right to know.
If you use the search function you will see multiple images of pages in some of these books (and others). Photo taken by me recently for another thread. Now, I know you conveniently aren't doing that.

Old 09-27-2019, 05:43 PM

Quote:
If you use the search function you will see multiple images of pages in some of these books (and others). Photo taken by me recently for another thread. Now, I know you conveniently aren't doing that.
If you have read those sources and synthesized the into your views fine, that's what I do every day. If you quote large blocks of text word for word without attribution, not so good. And I'm not going to pull the laboring oar on Google or this site's search function.

Old 09-27-2019, 05:46 PM

10,067 posts, read 14,940,669 times
Quote:
If you have read those sources and synthesized the into your views fine, that's what I do every day. If you quote large blocks of text word for word without attribution, not so good. And I'm not going to pull the laboring oar on Google or this site's search function.
Anyone tat uses the search function will have their answer.

Old 09-28-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Anyone tat uses the search function will have their answer.
As to how to spell? Tat one.

Old 11-11-2019, 02:27 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,531,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapshoot View Post
I insist that a lot of people educated in the English speaking world are not aware that their view of Spain is biased, based on a British war tactic to discredit Spain and its people. For them is impossible that the Spanish treated the slaves better, despise the evidence. Specially int he case of the French. Even if the Spanish treated the slaves better, slavery lasted way longer than in the English colonies. Half a century longer.....

Lets have something clear, slavery was not an strongly held institution in the Spanish side of Hispaniola, those accounts are form 1723 and slavery was already a dead thing in that part of the island.
In fact the Spanish side of Hispaniola was totally neglected by the Spanish, who didn't care one iota when Haiti invaded in 1822. At that time wars of independence were more important than a backwater cattle ranch with impoverished peasants. When Spain lost its wealthy mainland colonies Cuba became the one which commanded their attention.

I suggest that research into 19th century Cuban slavery would indicate that it was no different from that practiced in Jamaica, Haiti, or Brazil. Slavery in sugar producing societies was the most brutal of all.

The notion that Spanish slavery was kinder is just the nonsensical brainwashing that white Latin American elites love to tell their darker citizens. The problem is these darker citizens now want to know why they are now among the worst off blacks in the Americas.

Old 11-11-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabandgo View Post
oh god how wrong you are!!!

i dont even know where to start.

lets start with citizenship, in basically all latam countries its population is way more united around the common citizenship than in the US.
And where has that gotten them. Blacks in Latin America are worse off in relative terms than blacks in the USA are. There is a black upper middle class here and blacks are quite visible in this country's leadership.

Now show me a Latin American woman looking like Oprah who has the money and the independence to say as she wishes as Oprah.

https://www.bet.com/news/national/20...psa-video.html

This is the dialogue that is now occurring in the DR and much of the rest of Latin America as they uncover the lie that racism and skin colorism isnt rampant.

Light skinned Latin Americans need to cease their hypocrisy as they truth is now being revealed.

Old 11-11-2019, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Not to worry as it turns out that this gentleman is quite ignorant about Latin American history. Slavery in Santo Domingo was "mild", not because the Spanish were nice, but because it wasn't a plantation based society. Cuba and Brazil were plantation based societies and the planters were every bit as cruel as their counterparts in Jamaica and Haiti and Suriname.

And the Spanish and Portuguese were the LAST to abolish slavery. Puerto Rico in 1873 and Cuba and Brazil in the late 1880s. Slavery was abolished in the British colonies in 1838 and the French ones in 1848. Even the much maligned Americans ended slavery in the South in 1865 and in northern states by the 1820s.

Old 11-11-2019, 05:34 PM

15,064 posts, read 6,168,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Not to worry as it turns out that this gentleman is quite ignorant about Latin American history. Slavery in Santo Domingo was "mild", not because the Spanish were nice, but because it wasn't a plantation based society. Cuba and Brazil were plantation based societies and the planters were every bit as cruel as their counterparts in Jamaica and Haiti and Suriname.

And the Spanish and Portuguese were the LAST to abolish slavery. Puerto Rico in 1873 and Cuba and Brazil in the late 1880s. Slavery was abolished in the British colonies in 1838 and the French ones in 1848. Even the much maligned Americans ended slavery in the South in 1865 and in northern states by the 1820s.
Precisely.

Old 11-11-2019, 11:07 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,720,875 times
In any case they were still enslaved human beings whether they were treated with disdain & violence or a cute house pet is not something to find solace in, to feel proud about or to waste so much effort investigating who was the "nicest" slave master. It was all despicable and although fine to be discussed as a piece of history, it becomes distateful when the matter insinuates some sort of 'saving grace'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas