Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2022, 02:06 PM

10,067 posts, read 14,940,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
They have been chopping down trees to make charcoal and sell them for food,it is hopeless ,I am not even sure they have an economy/
It is not a tourist attraction .
Cant think of any island state which has done well?Corsica??
Really? Never heard of Ireland, the UK, Iceland, Singapore, Taiwan and others?

Old 11-06-2022, 02:35 PM

3,450 posts, read 2,777,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
They have been chopping down trees to make charcoal and sell them for food,it is hopeless ,I am not even sure they have an economy/
It is not a tourist attraction .
Cant think of any island state which has done well?Corsica??
Corsica is part of France.

Old 11-07-2022, 07:00 AM

5,132 posts, read 4,482,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Until and unless Haiti finds some major source of wealth to sustain and grow its economy and population, I fear things will never change.
Haiti does have a major source of wealth, which is oil. There is one of the biggest oil reserves in the world right off the coast of Haiti.

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-...-oil-reserves/

https://www.worldoil.com/news/2010/1...than-venezuela

Tapping into these oil reserves would transform Haiti into a wealthy nation. Haitian leaders have repeatedly asked developed countries and international development agencies for assistance to develop an oil industry. But all the requests have been ignored.

Old 11-07-2022, 09:42 AM

30,619 posts, read 18,203,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
Haiti does have a major source of wealth, which is oil. There is one of the biggest oil reserves in the world right off the coast of Haiti.

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-...-oil-reserves/

https://www.worldoil.com/news/2010/1...than-venezuela

Tapping into these oil reserves would transform Haiti into a wealthy nation. Haitian leaders have repeatedly asked developed countries and international development agencies for assistance to develop an oil industry. But all the requests have been ignored.
Thanks. These articles are speculative from what I'm reading and there hasn't been much follow-up from those post-earthquake articles from 2010 from what I'm finding via my internet searches. I wonder how much validity there is to these speculations I'd think if there was hard evidence on large oil reserves, oil/gas companies would be fighting tooth and nail to drill. And would even try to work through the Dominican Republic if Haiti was uncooperative. Note, I don't even find articles of Haitian politicians talking about this issue, which makes me more dubious as to whether there was actually ever hard evidence on this front.

Old 11-07-2022, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Thanks. These articles are speculative from what I'm reading and there hasn't been much follow-up from those post-earthquake articles from 2010 from what I'm finding via my internet searches. I wonder how much validity there is to these speculations I'd think if there was hard evidence on large oil reserves, oil/gas companies would be fighting tooth and nail to drill. And would even try to work through the Dominican Republic if Haiti was uncooperative. Note, I don't even find articles of Haitian politicians talking about this issue, which makes me more dubious as to whether there was actually ever hard evidence on this front.
Back in 2010-11 there were quite a few articles from respected sources (newspapers, think tanks, and the like), as well as videos about the discovery of oil as a result of the earthquake. There were reports about the possibility of an oil industry. I read several of them and saw some of the videos. But they have disappeared from the Internet.

Old 11-07-2022, 01:56 PM

10,067 posts, read 14,940,669 times
There is the case of a gold deposit discovered in the Central Mountains in the Dominican Republic right on the border with Haiti. Over 1 million oz of gold have been discovered there. I think if further exploration is done along the Massif du Nord, which is the Haitian continuation of the Cordillera Central of the Dominican Republic, gold and/or other metals could be discovered and be prepared to be mined and exported.

Considering how the mining of gold and other metals helps in the exportation figures, in the balance of payment, and most importantly with the revenue of the government; has Haiti received the interest of foreign companies to search and exploit this and other deposit?

In the following link there is a map which can be zoomed in by clicking on it of mining concessions in the Dominican Republic. The yellow box in Dajabón province bordering Haiti (northwest) is where the over 1 million oz of gold was discovered. This isn't just about gold but other metals too (the yellow boxes) and the nom-metallics (green boxes), but on the one right on the Haitian border they found gold. That mountain range is full of metals to be found and mined, thqt's why most minimg concessions are around that mountain range and, as previously said, it continues in the north of Haiti.

https://eitird.mem.gob.do/informe-ei...racion-minera/

Old 11-07-2022, 02:12 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,735,836 times
There is not much point in becoming dependent on the export of natural resources.
So many developing countries have made that mistake.

Old 11-07-2022, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
There is not much point in becoming dependent on the export of natural resources.
So many developing countries have made that mistake.
At least it’s a start.

To a avoid becoming entirely dependent on natural resources, development would have to happen in phases. Initially, wealth from the natural resources would be used to develop the country’s basic infrastructure. The next phase of would be to develop a manufacturing sector that is not dependent on natural resources.

Old 11-07-2022, 07:59 PM

1,300 posts, read 959,975 times
Quote:
At least it’s a start.

To a avoid becoming entirely dependent on natural resources, development would have to happen in phases. Initially, wealth from the natural resources would be used to develop the country’s basic infrastructure. The next phase of would be to develop a manufacturing sector that is not dependent on natural resources.

And this is exactly what would happen....if oil were discovered off the coast of Singapore. But it isnt at all the way things would go if managed by Haitian leaders. It would be squandered, and the wealth stolen by various political cliques who would make Swiss bankers richer but not their people.

Old 11-08-2022, 10:11 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,735,836 times
Quote:
At least it’s a start.

Not even manufacturing is a good idea. Look at Bangladesh and places like that, they are basically giant sweat shops, where locals are exploited by big international companies.

The most important investment is education, that's what China did. Once people are thoroughly educated, they strive to make something out of their lives. They can analyze things and hence improve them.

No idea what how educated Haitians are, though.
I guess for a small island country like Haiti getting connected to the world is important.

Why is it that other islands in that region such as Jamaica are doing so much better?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas