Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2023, 09:24 AM

990 posts, read 879,142 times

Advertisements

Remember that BRICS is not a bloc like the European Union or Mercosur.
It is a forum where emerging powers sit down to see where they can work together in economics and geopolitics.
It is to rival the G7, not the ''cultural west''.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BRICS

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G7
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2023, 03:30 PM

2,215 posts, read 1,320,351 times
The power of the reserve currency

https://youtu.be/QXC9BsiRLlU

Old 07-15-2023, 07:48 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,531,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiter View Post
The power of the reserve currency

https://youtu.be/QXC9BsiRLlU
As much as many wish that the US$ no longer be the reserve currency it is all we have and that isnt going to change in the near future. Who wants to be paid in rubles or yuan. Not even Chinese and Russians if they are involved in global trade.

Old 07-18-2023, 08:19 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,243,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
As a Brazilian I believe my country is making a serious mistake by aligning itself with the dictatorships of Russia and China in this BRICS nonsense.

Brazil is a Western democracy with Western democratic values, and therefore should be firmly in the Western democratic bloc. Russia and China are anti-democratic forces in the world, and work to undermine democracy around the world. Brazil has no place in any "strategic bloc" with those countries, at least not while those countries are under their current political regimes.
Agreed!

Old 07-18-2023, 06:49 PM

30,348 posts, read 19,134,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkjM...RvbGxhcg%3D%3D

Americans will be poor overnight? Following Putin's advice? Is that the aim?
I don't see a problem with Brazil trying something different. My guess is that because the BRIC's are pretty selfish and corrupt, this will fizzle out in the end.

Brazil seems to have everything they need to be a dominant world power but they always seem to blow it, pretty much like Argentina.

Old 07-24-2023, 01:08 PM

3,934 posts, read 2,186,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
Astral_Weeks is correct, I'm Brazilian, born from Brazilian parents, and lived in Brazil for my whole life.

I'm not against "working" with countries with authoritarian governments when necessary, including on trade issues. But there is no reason for Brazil to become part of any "strategic bloc" wih Russia and China, specially when those countries are clearly working to undermine democracy in several parts of the world. The idea of BRICS makes no sense, it's completelly artificial. Brazil is a country with liberal democratic values, a country with a free press, a country with same-sex marriage, much more aligned, in terms of values, to Western Europe and North America.

Look up how many countries host US military bases and how many of them are in the world.
Then look how many the next country has?

Doesn’t look like a benevolent democratic ruler of the world, more like a bully

I would like to know in which country the democracy was undermined by China? Or India or Russia or Brazil?
Please, educate me.

On the other hand - even on your continent and your country we have an example how the US operates.

The funny part that the US is even doing it to its allies

https://news.cgtn.com/news/2020-10-2...XfW/index.html

https://foreignpolicy.com/2013/08/20...as-overthrown/

The above isn’t even the exhaustive list, there are many many more

You sound young or is it a lack of education? Your English is very good though - like that of a native speaker.

In addition, define democracy - and if you look very closely - it may not be such a blessed thing.
Will you be happy and content being ruled by those unwashed, uneducated, cruel, often prejudiced poor masses?

Even in one of the most developed countries with the ruthless tax collection agency - the United States - half of the population - democracy? doesn’t even pay taxes.
What kind of policies that half would likely to institute? Give me, give me, give me - but I won’t contribute…I am just a victim of your cruel system

What happens in your family if half of the people don’t contribute by have high demands?

The US has no friends- never had, never will.

Only the naive would trust it.

All Brazil wants is not take over the world and it’s resource but have pragmatic trading relationships beneficial to each trading partner - to benefit the populace - that is the reasonable strategy.

On the other hand what would happen if the US dollar - not based on any gold standard or such - just paper really - stops being the world’s de-facto currency and all those dollars held by private individuals in other countries with unstable currencies, the businesses, the drug dealers, the arms traders operating in a shadow economy flood the US?

You haven’t seen nothing yet if this happens - that is why the US destroyed Iraq - (Saddam had the idea to get away from $$$, then Putin started to advocate the same - and you think it is because of “Saddam’s weapons of mass destruction “? Or “Ukraine “?
Ha!

Last edited by L00k4ward; 07-24-2023 at 01:38 PM..

Old 07-24-2023, 05:37 PM

220 posts, read 172,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
On the other hand what would happen if the US dollar - not based on any gold standard or such - just paper really - stops being the world’s de-facto currency and all those dollars held by private individuals in other countries with unstable currencies, the businesses, the drug dealers, the arms traders operating in a shadow economy flood the US?

The truth of matter is that the dollar is just paper that many have given it a certain worth or value. It is not backed by anything. If the Dollar collapses, all those holding dollars are screwed there is nothing written on the currency that states or guarantees that you can redeem it for gold or even toilet paper.

Old 07-25-2023, 04:07 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,437,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naners1 View Post
"money talks, bullsh*t walks" famous Chinese proverb.
There's no such proverb in Chinese lol.

And BRICS was never relevant at any point since its inception. The four core countries have vastly different interests and apart from China, all have completely tragic industrial and financial capabilities, and now even the Chinese economy is in big trouble.

These countries can keep deluding themselves about challenging USD and US hegemony, but...

Old 07-25-2023, 11:56 AM

2,157 posts, read 1,441,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
There's no such proverb in Chinese lol.

And BRICS was never relevant at any point since its inception. The four core countries have vastly different interests and apart from China, all have completely tragic industrial and financial capabilities, and now even the Chinese economy is in big trouble.

These countries can keep deluding themselves about challenging USD and US hegemony, but...
Well the trend is down for the dollar, nevertheless it is still currently the top dog. When/if nations like BRICS and Euro nations band together in their effort to wean themselves from the dollar, it certainly doesn't strengthen US hegemony. Ultimately it would appear the dollar will continue to lose market share slowly, like the old frog boiling in a pot. One day we will note that while the dollar is important, it won't be nearly as important.

Old 07-26-2023, 10:10 PM

1,471 posts, read 1,416,227 times
Do Colombia and Brazil dislike each other?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas