Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2023, 03:17 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,531,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
To me it's a pariah state.
It is not a nice place, but it does have a heck of amount of global significance. So it cannot be ignored. Based on your criteria China is also a pariah state as its treatment of its peoples, especially the ethnic minorities, is not great.

Brazil needs to remind the world that BRICS starts with the letter "B", meaning Brazil. This passive aggressive low key role that Brazil plays doesnt do itself much good. No wonder people under estimate Brazil's capabilities. Every day Americans jump on planes made in Brazil. They think this are US made, and sadly many would probably get off if they knew the truth, because Brazil bats way below its potential.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2023, 06:05 AM

3,977 posts, read 6,783,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
It is not a nice place, but it does have a heck of amount of global significance. So it cannot be ignored. Based on your criteria China is also a pariah state as its treatment of its peoples, especially the ethnic minorities, is not great.

Brazil needs to remind the world that BRICS starts with the letter "B", meaning Brazil. This passive aggressive low key role that Brazil plays doesnt do itself much good. No wonder people under estimate Brazil's capabilities. Every day Americans jump on planes made in Brazil. They think this are US made, and sadly many would probably get off if they knew the truth, because Brazil bats way below its potential.

I'm in favour of BISI, Brazil - India - South Africa - Indonesia, only democracies.

End this BRICS non-sense asap.

We can make business with Chinese companies, like the USA does, but we have not to be part of any "bloc" with China.

Old 09-19-2023, 06:04 AM

3,977 posts, read 6,783,287 times
Quote:
I'm in favour of BISI, Brazil - India - South Africa - Indonesia, only democracies.

We can make business with Chinese companies, like the USA does, but we have not to be part of any "bloc" with China.

Of course I say that in the hope that Narendra Modi will not be able to destroy democracy in India, as Trump and Bolsonaro were not able to destroy democracy in the USA and in Brazil.

Old 09-19-2023, 01:22 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,001,270 times
Quote:
As a Brazilian I believe my country is making a serious mistake by aligning itself with the dictatorships of Russia and China in this BRICS nonsense.

Brazil is a Western democracy with Western democratic values, and therefore should be firmly in the Western democratic bloc. Russia and China are anti-democratic forces in the world, and work to undermine democracy around the world. Brazil has no place in any "strategic bloc" with those countries, at least not while those countries are under their current political regimes.
As an American, I can’t fault Brazil for doing what it did. I don’t think america is the reigning democracy that you seem to think it is. And America has shown that if you refuse to bend the will to them they will sanction you, and Brazil is smart to want to get away from that. What is good for America is not always what is good for Brazil and so on.

I don’t think China or Russia has any intention of taking over Brazil, but who knows I guess.

Old 09-19-2023, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Astral_Weeks is correct, I'm Brazilian, born from Brazilian parents, and lived in Brazil for my whole life.

I'm not against "working" with countries with authoritarian governments when necessary, including on trade issues. But there is no reason for Brazil to become part of any "strategic bloc" wih Russia and China, specially when those countries are clearly working to undermine democracy in several parts of the world. The idea of BRICS makes no sense, it's completelly artificial. Brazil is a country with liberal democratic values, a country with a free press, a country with same-sex marriage, much more aligned, in terms of values, to Western Europe and North America.
America also works to undermine democracy. Time and again a leader has gotten democratically elected that was not good for American interests so what do they do? They kill him and install their own leader that will help
American interests. I get that China and Russia are messed up countries compared to America and I don’t think America is actually worse than these countries (at least domestically) but if your problem is with undermining democracy… then surely you can see how America is not innocent of this either?

Old 09-19-2023, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
I agree it's a mistake. Globalism is going to change the supply chain and shipping will look very different in the future. USA isn't going to secure China's shipping lanes and China lacks the ability to secure safe passage for it's cargoes. It's boxed into the south China seas surrounded by hostile powers with more powerful navies.
The best thing america can do is turn away from China and start building manufacturing facilities in Latin America. This will also solve the immigration problem.

Old 09-19-2023, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
Why is it a mistake? When the US prints money it causes nothing but hyperinflation across the world. This is decades in the making when America weaponizes the currency to dictate it's influence around the world.

I think the biggest mistake is when the US took the dollar off the gold standard.

Right now the world is dumping dollars and buying gold.
This guy gets it

Old 09-20-2023, 03:06 PM

1,221 posts, read 491,363 times
Quote:

Stay away from india.

Brail would do well by strengthening it relationship with the rest of Latin America.

Old 09-25-2023, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Of course I say that in the hope that Narendra Modi will not be able to destroy democracy in India, as Trump and Bolsonaro were not able to destroy democracy in the USA and in Brazil.
It is only the legacy of British colonial rule which is why Modi is not Xi. They still think that they should pretend to be democratic. Because this was the system that was set up at independence, even though one can argue that British India was not democratic.

Old 09-25-2023, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
The best thing america can do is turn away from China and start building manufacturing facilities in Latin America. This will also solve the immigration problem.
Latin America is more developed than many Americans think. Sao Paulo is every bit as sophisticated as NYC, Chicago and LA. In fact its all combined with double the population too.

That all American beer, Budweiser is owned by a company dominated by Brazilian Ambev. American Airlines uses Embraer planes. I bet most flying them on domestic routes swear that these are US made!

This is why I insist that Brazilmust quit is passive aggressive inward looking attitude and assert itself on the global stage. Yes this will mean joining with China and India to make North America and Europe listen. But They also dance with dictators when it suits their purpose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas