Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 07:49 AM

2,025 posts, read 4,176,333 times

Advertisements

Ask keep in mind that "Eagle River" covers a lot of area. If you found a place back in ER valley you can add another half hour to the commute, if you found a place up in the mountains it can add time too.

I grew up in ER and when I was going to college if was a half hour to UAA and 45 minutes to the airport/Jewe lake area where I worked. You will hate the first snow fall, that's where the freshman class of military people find out that driving in snow requires finesse and skill and they don't have it. It still isn't as bad as the valley.
The worst part as mentioned, no alternate routes. One idiot ruins the drive for thousands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2018, 12:47 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Plus you have to build in the accident multiplier...especially in winter when road conditions, darkness, and driver overconfidence make it a lot more likely!

Old 05-15-2018, 12:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,576 times
I drive from Eagle River into Anchorage M-F for work. Currently I leave at 7:15 and get to work by 7:40/7:45. In the winter I usually try to leave by 7:00 and have no problems getting to work on time. The commute home can be tough, traffic always seems backed up, sometimes for what seems to be a snowball on the road.

Old 05-15-2018, 01:33 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,114,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKgirlWI View Post
I drive from Eagle River into Anchorage M-F for work. Currently I leave at 7:15 and get to work by 7:40/7:45. In the winter I usually try to leave by 7:00 and have no problems getting to work on time. The commute home can be tough, traffic always seems backed up, sometimes for what seems to be a snowball on the road.

Sure you can live in glennallen and get to work on time, I dont measure success by getting to work on time, work is a necessary evil. I dont know what other peoples priorities are but I value my time and dont want to spend hours and hours on a miserable drive in the dark and cold with people that probably dont have insurance or a valid drivers license lol.

Old 05-20-2018, 11:05 AM

227 posts, read 258,123 times
This thread has great timing. We're closing on a house in Eagle River soon and we were initially opposed to it because of the commute. After looking at homes in the Anchorage area we decided to be more open to the idea. Homes here in Anchorage are either outdated and need a lot of work or your neighbor is literally an arm's length from your house.

The location or our new home takes our 15 min commute to 30 mins but an extra 30 mins a day for a much better living space was a trade off we were willing to live with. No road noise, quiet neighborhood, view, and we're not looking out our windows into our neighbor's home.

We used to do a much longer commute so we're just going to break out the podcasts again. :P

Old 05-30-2018, 07:07 PM

6 posts, read 4,812 times
While the traffic can be a little much at times, depending on weather or accidents, it usually isn't so bad. Many people find the perks of living Eagle River far outweigh the commute.

Old 05-30-2018, 10:11 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,114,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiakbearcountry View Post
This thread has great timing. We're closing on a house in Eagle River soon and we were initially opposed to it because of the commute. After looking at homes in the Anchorage area we decided to be more open to the idea. Homes here in Anchorage are either outdated and need a lot of work or your neighbor is literally an arm's length from your house.

The location or our new home takes our 15 min commute to 30 mins but an extra 30 mins a day for a much better living space was a trade off we were willing to live with. No road noise, quiet neighborhood, view, and we're not looking out our windows into our neighbor's home.

We used to do a much longer commute so we're just going to break out the podcasts again. :P
Until its not 30 min lol. That stretch of road routinely jams up and can be 45 min to an hour. 30 min is ideal conditions.

Old 06-02-2018, 12:29 AM

227 posts, read 258,123 times
True but I just figure on going in to work an hour early and I usually work till 6pm and later anyway so should avoid the rush most nights. I also travel a lot.

I had a two hour one way commute before moving back home. Four hours every day. It sucked big time. A 30 min commute with the longer ones happening with bad weather or accidents, not a big deal. I'm way behind in my podcasts. :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage